School me on Chorus pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bentayuk, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I'm jamming with a looper atm, and loving doing clean layers. I think a chorus would really be fun in the mix, but I dont know where to begin. I've never owned one, and have little to no experience with them.

School me!

2. reversedelay

reversedelay Member

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Crazy thing...one of the best sounding chorus pedals is also one of the cheapest: DOD FX65

Pick up a cheepo on eBay & have at it!

4. reversedelay

reversedelay Member

Hey Mark, the FX65 surely is a cool piece.

OP, the reason I asked your budget, is that my favorite is expensive. The Diamond Halo is the best chorus I've ever played...it's incredible.

If you're just looking for a cheap chorus to mess around with, Boss CE-3 or CE-5. I own and use both! CE-5 is more flexible but CE-3 has a great vibrato hidden inside if you use a dummy cable on the stereo output. But, it's noisy (easy to fix with mods). CE-5 sounds great and is flexible too. I have an older analog version but the digital one sounds the same. It's a great pedal and cheap!

5. 9520575

9520575 Member

What's to school?
    Chorus sounds nice, adds a syrupy lush tone. With the right settings you can dial in a nice rotarty speaker sound. With your mix at 100% wet you have a vibrato pedal.

There are a ton of nice chorus out there. Analog or digital.

I like a chorus to have control over the mix (so you can use it as a vibrato). I like one that can control the delay time, this allows a nice control over the tone. Moog just announced a mini chorus with those features. Catalinbread has one as well with that feature set. The diamond vibrato.

Cheap ones are good too, you probably won't get the delay control or mix control. Most chorus pedals have a set 50/50 mix. The depth of a chorus controls how much the delay time moves. While mix is a blending of the dry signal m

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Go stereo chorus if you can, so full and wide sounding.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

A good cheap chorus that is really versatile is the MXR Black Label/Analog Chorus. It ca be found for about $50 used. It's a good place to start.

8. williamisthisit

williamisthisit Member

Buy a cool cat chorus. really cheap and really awesome. besides, it has a mix knob that would give you vibrato if you set it to 100% wet. and it also has got an eq knob. plenty options in a really cheap great sounding pedal.

9. Bentayuk

Sorry, my budget is up to $100.

10. niz

niz Member

try pigtronix quantum time modulator

11. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

Want to try one of the best? Try one of these analog chorus pedals:

Retro Sonic chorus - like an analog CE1 - if you can find one
    Catalinbread Callisto - analog MN3007 chip
    VFE Choral Reef - analog MN3008 chip
    Moog MF-108M Cluster Flux - analog
    JHS Emporer chorus - analog 3207 chip

Lots of good online demos of these pedals. I like the Pete Thorn demo - just listened to the start of it again:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siomf6VY7jg

If not, a Boss CE-5 will do

12. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

In my experience with chorus pedals, the best $100ish chorus is the old Ibanez 9 series. Beat out a legendary Boss CE2 in an A/B.

2 knobs, stereo outs, pure lush analog bliss. All you need.

Although I agree with the above post about the MXR and or Zakk Wylde (same pedal, different paint). New even I think they're less than a hundred dollars.

13. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I HATE chorus pedals. If I want something in that realm I much prefer a modulated delay.

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Arion chorus, got it's own unique tone that's fantastic. Cost nothing almost.

15. Bentayuk

I've been offered two Digitech versions for $50 each locally; the Chorus Factory or Multi-Chorus.
    Which is better, or neither?

16. Belmont

Belmont Member

not familiar with those, might be cool, who knows.
    another cheap great chorus is the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus (analog version), it has a tone knob and a mix knob so you can dial in as much or as little as you want.
    personally, if I was going to spend $100.00, I'd get a Boss PS-6 Pitch Shifter, it has detune mode which has an amazing chorus sound, and then you have the gamut of pitch shifter/harmony/s-bending effects thrown in as a bonus.

17. thecornman

thecornman Member

Totally agree with PS-6! The detune mode is amazing plus you get all the other goods with it. This pedal had not left my board since I got it.

18. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I'm a die-hard fan of the vintage Boss CE-2 Chorus. That's my standard of a great sounding chorus.

And I gotta say - that little Mooer Ensemble King is *darn* close. A little brighter (not sure if it's the circuit, or just the fact that it's not 30 years old...). But a truly awesome chorus for the price. And size.

19. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

I had the Retro Sonic. Fantastic chorus AND vibrato, but sadly it was so noisy it was unusable. Traded it and bought the JHS Emperor. The emeperor has 97 % of the RetroSonic mojo, but 0 % noise. Love it. Expensive though - don't know what the price is in the US.

20. Bentayuk

I picked up a local 1987 Jap modded Boss CE-3 for $50, it's a nuts little pedal. Goes from smooth shimmer to all out craziness real quick, haha! I love the sterio option too.

Within minutes I was all over Pantera 'Floods' pre-solo clean tones! Killer!