School me on clean boost's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gasp100, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Buriss Boostiest which I picked up here on a whim a little while ago. I'm definitely a pedal "noob" if you will and rarely use them (not gigging right now and most of the time I sneak downstairs and plug in and go - usually clean or light breakup from the amp is cool). Anyway, this is a TS9 type OD on one side and clean boost on the other. It's pretty cool, 2 pedals in one for sure and I actually really like the OD side (nice sheen) but the LED doesn't work and it loses mucho bottom end which kind of blows. I think the clean boost is decent, but it doesn't seem to push my amps into higher gain - it just makes them louder.
    In messing with my AC15 HW and my Winfield (and even the Champ to a degree) there are some settings with some grind from the amp where it seems a killer clean boost would be enough to push it hard for soloing and such. I've heard the Timmy and it's killer. My buddy has a Timmy AND a Serrano Picosa(?) and that pairing sounds amazing to me. But, they are both "clean boosts" aren't they? So, what is exactly happening with both engaged? (one boost - the Chili boosting into another - the Timmy - pushing the front end of the amp with a little gain?).
    I think for now the Buriss is a nice all in one solution, but I'm signing up for the Timmy list. What makes that thing so good? Is it that you don't lose a lot of the bottom end when engaged? If so, is that something that can ONLY be achieved by clean boosts and NOT by OD pedals? Is it the seperate tone controls? Just mojo? Just wondering...

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Gasp:

I fell into using clean boosts after years of trying and not liking overdrives. OD pedals always seemed to compress too much and drop out the bottom end ... a boxy, gainy kind of tone. Maybe I didn't try the right ones. Or maybe it's just not for me. Anyway, I did find clean boosts to be useful, primarily because the effect is more subtle. Also because I'm not trying to get overdriven sounds at low, clean volumes, rather just wanting to push amps already on the edge. Amps with lots of their own tube drive on tap. (Tweed pro types, for example).

Had a Klon for years, replaced by a Burriss Boostier. The Boostier is perfect, seems to work with any amp. Quiet, no drop in bass. I like it alone, but even better paired with another clean boost. Any of several will do. Right now, favoring the Catalinbread SCP or the Xotic RC Booster. With two clean boosts together, set for low or no gain, not much boost either, the sound gets bigger and more dimensional somehow. On all the time, not a solo boost. With amp volume up. The guitar volume becomes, in effect, my overdrive pedal.

It's all trial and error. This is what works best for me, with my equipment and music. YMMV.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I see what you are saying. So, maybe I should keep the Bosstiest and just look at one more clean boost (Timmy?). That would in essence give me 2 clean boosts AND an OD (the OD like I said IS cool, and could be used in certain situations for sure). I wish I knew how to fix the LED -- that bothers me. Since you own one do you know if the maker does repairs on his gear? (I assume the guys name is Buriss? ;)

4. batlas

batlas Member

For your use the burriss might not be the best option. It works almost perfect for me though. The Clean Boost the best i've tried, and the TS part is nice though i would like to remedy the bass cut problem...I think it was all gooped up on the inside so modding might not be an option.

http://www.burrissamps.com/
    but yeah im pretty sure he has a lifetime warranty on his stuff.

5. dave s

dave s Member

all boost pedals not created equal. Especially when slamming a single-ended (Class A) amp like your VOX.

IF (and it's a big IF) you can run the head to the edge of breakup, something like an Xotic RC Boost is a great tool. It has enough gain on tap to really get the amp cooking. Or, enough to act as a clean boost that provides enough 'support' for playing clean leads. Couple that with the separate bass and treble controls and you can really dial in clean to crunch with the pedal.

I've tried several so-called 'clean boost' pedals with my VOX and Matchless amps and they all don't work well with the class-A type amps.

dave