School me on reverb tanks...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I like the verb in my Blues Junior BETTER than in my Supersonic. The SS has too long a decay for me, too splashy. (I don't do surf). Since they're both Accutronics tanks, what's the difference? Spring length/# of springs?

Would it be as simple as buying a Blues Junior replacement tank and putting it in SS?

Also, difference between Accutronics & Ruby (for same length/same #springs)?

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Anybody? I did a search and found out the differences in Accu vs Ruby, but still don't know how the number & length of springs affects the reverb...

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not 100% sure on this, so take it with a grain of salt, but...

I think when trying to replace one type reverb with another, you have to look at the spec sheet. What levels, what impedance, etc. the tank has.

In the amp is designed a reverb "driver" circuit, one that will feed the reverb tank, the send, and also one that recieves the signal back.

I know on my Hot Rod DeVille, cutting out R103 resistor on the reverb driver made it sound a lot better. I suspect the too long of a decay might be able to be adjusted rather in the driver section, but I am not sure.

If I were you I would ask this same question (or ask a moderator to move it) over on the "amps technical" forum in TGP. Many folks there know a lot on the technical side, or wait here for more knowledgeable folk.

But in any case, the first steps...just to see if they can be substituted, would be to print out both specs and see what is different. Also send an email to the Accutronics folk, as they would have the definitive answer.

Also the Fender Forum is a great place to ask this and get experienced answers.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I just posted over on FDP.

I usually ask here first, because answer here come very quick usually. I've had it takes several days over on FDP to even get a reply at all. Just more people here I think.

5. Fairfield

Fairfield Member

The difference in decay could be caused by a number of things. First, as a tank gets older the springs emit a longer decay. Also the tanks could be different sized. Longer tanks generally sound brighter and have potential to have a longer decay.

As for getting a Blues Junior Tank for your SS you can just simply by a Replacement tank and put in your SS because Fender uses the same drive circuit for all their tube amps. I think Accutronics sells their tanks on eBay. All you need is the part number for the Blues Junior's tank which should be on the back I believe it is 8EB2C1B.

The difference between Accutronics is mostly the country that they are made. Accutronics is American made while Ruby is made in China. Generally Chinese made tanks sound muddy and have a very long decay that seems to carry on and on.

Hope that helped!

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Are you sure about this? The BJ is a ss-driven reverb circuit, whereas the SS is a TUBE-driven reverb circuit...

7. Fairfield

Fairfield Member

OH! I thought BJ was tube as well! SORRY! In that you will not be able to just take a BJ and put it in the SS. A tube amp will generally have a little longer decay! Look in your SuperSonic and check the reverb part number on that. I think it will be a 4AB3C1B. If that is the case you can replace that with a 4AB2C1B for a little bit shorter decay or a 4AB1C1B for a much shorter decay.

8. Fairfield

Fairfield Member

You should go on eBay and message Accutronics through eBay and ask what unit you need to decrease the decay in a Fender SuperSonic!

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Why don't you post the tank number for each amp then everyone can see the difference and help out. Accutronics have a code on their website and you can match up the specs. Find out what you got, what you like or what change you wanna make, and buy the correct replacement tank. They are cheap, $30 +/-.

All you need to know, right here: http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

But...there are basically two pans, a long and a short.

The long and short both have two versions:
    Short: two or three springs
    Long: four or six springs

In addition, there are 3 decay rates available for each tank; short, medium and long. The amount of spring dampening (magnets I think) added to each tank controls the decay time. The reverb driver (usually a 12AT7) can also have an audible impact on the quality of reverb that you end up hearing with your amp just like 12AX7's do. So don't overlook that aspect.