School me on SGs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mtmartin71, Jan 31, 2012.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I'm mostly a Les Paul fan (although I only own one of them at the moment...we can forget about that PRS Sunburst 245 masquerading as one!). It's time to add another Gibson to my collection and it's going to be an SG. I've got plenty of vintage inspired guitars and would like something a little more modern. My Reverend Daredevil is their version of a SG and I really like that one but looking to get an American made Gibson to add to things. The Reverend is red.

Just curious on what to look for as I seek one out. May go used or new. Not really interested right now in a P90 version. I don't like P90 noise and I think noiseless P90s are too polite. I will probably p!ss off the purists, but I thought the AMS exclusive SG 24 with a Firebird neck and a Tony Iommi bridge looked pretty sweet and that pickup combo seemed like a nice one as well. My bud tells me I must get a wine red SG, because that IS a Gibson SG. My Daredevil is red though and covers that space. Anyhow, any duds as far as SG models?

2. seth3

seth3 Member

If you want an SG that is modern and different, look into the (now discontinued) Raw Power series. It has a different tone than a standard SG (brighter, snappier, more defined), but it is my favorite humbucker'ed SG (disclaimer: I'm a P90 person). It is entirely maple and, since Gibson is moving more and more into maple, who knows - it might be worth something someday as the "first all-maple SG." Who knows...

But, it might be a good compliment to the LP because it is a different twist on the Gibson HB sound that you already have pretty covered with the LP.

This image below is not mine (I have a yellow one) - it is from Google images:

[​IMG]

3. mtmartin71

For something different, what are opinions on the Gibson SG-X which was a one humbucker, limited run guitar?

4. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

I'm no SG expert, but weren't these a Guitar Center exclusive? That's my recollection, anyway...

5. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

I bought the AMS exclusive SG 24 you mentioned. Killer guitar and killer tone. Don't really play up beyond the 22 fret often. Wish it had an ebony fretboard.

6. mtmartin71

What do you think of the pickups? I'm not sure based on some reviews I've been reading. Both are ceramics, right?

7. mtmartin71

Anyone know when the Jeff Tweedy signature SGs come available? Nobody has them in stock? That one looks cool. I might swap the Classic 57s for some Manlius T-Top replicas I have sitting with me including a custom wound bridge that is hotter. Would take it from polite to rude.

8. Drawde

Drawde Member

I actually really like my SG Special Faded. But I also have a Jeff Tweedy on order from zzounds.com. I was told end of March on the phone by them when I ordered ;but we shall see.

9. pcutt

pcutt Member

I'm also interested in finding out more about SGs. What about the necks? I'm a fan of chunky necks, so are there any guidelines to help me easily sort out these from the rest? Ideally I'd like to be able to buy confidently from the Emporium or CL based upon specific models and/or years, rather than someone's opinion.

Thanks!

10. mtmartin71

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Pelham Blue SG Standard Limited Edition exclusive to Sam Ash. I've been trying to figure out how to grab a Gibson in this color since Dave Grohl's ES-335 and finding that color with a SG and the fixed bridge was perfect. I don't need a vibrato and wanted more of a rocker so this actually fits better than the Tweedy model which isn't even available to buy yet. Looking forward to breaking it in!

11. Marble

Marble Member

On AMS's site it says the Firebird pup is made with Alnico V mags and the Iommi HB is Alnico & Ceramic.

OP, I hadn't seen that SG before, its very cool. My main guitar is a '61 RI SG and its amazing. My friend has a GOTW '67 RI SG with P90s and that is a very awesome guitar as well. An SG with P90s is always fantastic. If you get an SG Classic that they sell off the shelf with the big pickguard, you could always put in different pups with a different pickguard if you need a humbucker or something. SGs are amazing guitars!

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

That is kind of cool looking.

13. mtmartin71

Got the new Pelham Blue SG from Sam Ash. Wow! Beautiful guitar. Will get some pics up at some point. The Pelham Blue color is perfect in person. Just the right shade of blue (to me) with a hint of silver? Tough to describe but a beauty for sure. The SG itself surprised me as well. It picked up and played very well. I just tweaked the pickups a little bit but I'm liking the 490/498 combo. I have mostly PAF types and the bridge has a different oomph to it. The 498 is a little more smeared and a little less articulate than some of my other bridge pickups, but I'm really digging it. Definitely a more "rock" sound and unique in my arsenal. I was very surprised out how thin the guitar body is. I've never played a guitar with that thin of a body. I have a Reverend Daredevil that's supposed to be like a SG but the SG is thinner than the Reverend. It seemed to just fit well though. The neck is fuller than some of my other guitars but I dig it.