School me on spring reverb tanks

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I received an amp the other day from an online sale, and I loved everything about it except the reverb.
I checked out the tank and found this

View media item 194664
now I haven’t had an amp with spring reverb in a long long time, but I’m pretty sure it’s time for a new tank haha

the model code is 4ab3c1b. This particular brand was from Mojotone, are there any other brands to check out?
what’s the deal with 3 spring reverbs??
Why are the RCA cables so dang long????

Im ready to go down the reverb rabbit hole.

also for reference, the amp is a 20 watt fender black face/blonde type amp.

thanks!

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I received an amp the other day from an online sale, and I loved everything about it except the reverb.
I checked out the tank and found this

View media item 194664
now I haven’t had an amp with spring reverb in a long long time, but I’m pretty sure it’s time for a new tank haha

the model code is 4ab3c1b. This particular brand was from Mojotone, are there any other brands to check out?
what’s the deal with 3 spring reverbs??
Why are the RCA cables so dang long????

Im ready to go down the reverb rabbit hole.

thanks!
If I'm seeing that right, is it just the spring? If so, I'd imagine that (assuming you can find one) it'd be a cheap thing to try first, no? I'd try calling Mojotone first.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
it looks like one spring has disconnected from the output transducer, and another set of springs is completely missing.
Yea, unless you have those springs and there's no broken ends, it's worth just buying new tanks and experimenting. . You have the Mojotone ones, there's Mod https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...c-evwd5_2dfmw0KOxOr0g73KB5B8OCOhoCypkQAvD_BwE , and of course the Accutronics, etc https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...Cmi3AT2t9SRS68INe2u1tPNvHrbwv_6BoC4cwQAvD_BwE . Unfortunately I can't 'school you' on them, and certainly none of the posts have yet! I have only 1 combo amp I want a better tank for and your thread might encourage me to experiment! I have an Engl Screamer and I turn the reverb off and use the fx loop, but maybe with a better tank. . hmmm... Meanwhile, this experimenting is at least cheaper than most with gear as tanks typically are 30.00 or less! I'd love to see what happens. . Eric

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Yea, unless you have those springs and there's no broken ends, it's worth just buying new tanks and experimenting. . You have the Mojotone ones, there's Mod https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...c-evwd5_2dfmw0KOxOr0g73KB5B8OCOhoCypkQAvD_BwE , and of course the Accutronics, etc https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...Cmi3AT2t9SRS68INe2u1tPNvHrbwv_6BoC4cwQAvD_BwE . Unfortunately I can't 'school you' on them, and certainly none of the posts have yet! I have only 1 combo amp I want a better tank for and your thread might encourage me to experiment! I have an Engl Screamer and I turn the reverb off and use the fx loop, but maybe with a better tank. . hmmm... Meanwhile, this experimenting is at least cheaper than most with gear as tanks typically are 30.00 or less! I'd love to see what happens. . Eric
Yea I was surprised by how relatively cheap they are. I’ve read about them and the circuitry that goes with them, but I have next to zero experience actually playing through them haha.
The amp has a super lush vibrato circuit so I’m thinking I wouldn’t need the depth of a 3 spring.
But my idea of “depth” might not be what it actually is

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
There are a couple different brand tanks but I believe only 2 companies actually make tanks these days. The MOD and Accutronics are basically your two options. They’re cheap. Just make sure you get the right impedance for your amp.

If you’re getting a long spring pan, like the busted one, don’t get 3 springs. 2 long spring pans are sometimes referred to as 4 spring pans. Same thing.

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
There are a couple different brand tanks but I believe only 2 companies actually make tanks these days. The MOD and Accutronics are basically your two options. They’re cheap. Just make sure you get the right impedance for your amp.

If you’re getting a long spring pan, like the busted one, don’t get 3 springs. 2 long spring pans are sometimes referred to as 4 spring pans. Same thing.
thanks man. I got in touch with the builder earlier and he mirrored your suggestion about the long pan 2 spring.
im not anti mojotone (what the original was), but whenever I order from them there seems to be some kind of hiccup, so I may go for another MOD variety when I order tubes.
:beer

67blackcherry

That's a great circuit right there - you definitely want reverb with that!
The amp has a super lush vibrato circuit so I’m thinking I wouldn’t need the depth of a 3 spring.
I can't offer any help re: 2 or 3 spring reverb but I've owned a ton of Fender amps (blonde & BF) and you definitely want the reverb to go along with an amp like that and the vibrato although I think the correct term is "Tremolo"...

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
That's a great circuit right there - you definitely want reverb with that!

I can't offer any help re: 2 or 3 spring reverb but I've owned a ton of Fender amps (blonde & BF) and you definitely want the reverb to go along with an amp like that and the vibrato although I think the correct term is "Tremolo"...
the term may be tremolo. The amp is called a “Reato” as a play on reverb and vibrato, so I’m going with it
This was a quick clip I made after unboxing, sans reverb, to see what was what

dspellman

Erm....honestly?
I have always had tube amps with spring reverb and got sort of used to that "hammer in space" sound they make when you move them around with the reverb engaged.

But.

One of the amps I've used a lot over the years was/is the Carvin Belair, a 50W EL84 goodie with a spring reverb tank. At some point it was reissued, but with a digital reverb, and I have to admit that the digital reverb sounds better. And these days I really like the reverb on the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. Dunno what they're doing, but it's one of the best I've used.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
That tank is messed up. I just replaced the tank in my SFPR with a MOD 4AB3C1B and it's worked out well. I'm not much of a reverb guy but the old Gibbs tank had broken connections at the transducers and I had patched it up many times and it kept failing. I also change the reverb driver tube to a 12AU7 to reduce the amount of 'verb just a little.

67blackcherry

the term may be tremolo. The amp is called a “Reato” as a play on reverb and vibrato, so I’m going with it
This was a quick clip I made after unboxing, sans reverb, to see what was what

That's a nice sounding amp and really nice playing - so I'll give the SG a pass....but just barely... :D

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
That's a nice sounding amp and really nice playing - so I'll give the SG a pass....but just barely... :D
thanks man. I bought it as a vehicle to play my single coil guitars through, but I’m most familiar with my SG so it’s my go to guitar for testing things. I’m in the middle of a p90 love affair at the moment though

Trending Topics