school me on strymon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tedm, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I've had an EP3, EP4, + 1-2 dozen verbs and delays including studio / rackmount gear. I've watched a dozen or two clips with strymon pedals, and haven't heard anything unique. They are big and expensive. What am I missing?

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Maybe they just aren't for you, but I wouldn't judge any piece of gear on clips alone.

3. somedude

somedude Member

What are you expecting to hear?

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Not much really.
    Rack units in a pedal form that you will probably end up controlling with a MIDI controller too.

Most of the the algorithms are trying to do something already made by someone else in the 80s. The only exception that came to my mind is Chorale on the BS, but I'm not much into obscure rack stuff.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

You're not missing much. The dTape algo has incredible pseudo tape sounds that are just out of this world and completely useable live. Really good midi spec, preset naming, lots of good features that make the Strymon stuff Uber usable live. I love the density and sound of the Cloud algorithm as well...

Honestly, the appeal of the Strymon stuff to me is that it is very high quality and has a killer feature set, but that Strymon seems to have designed the outside-the-box sounds out of a lot of their pedals, the result is that it sounds good anywhere on the knob, vs my experience of rack units being insanely overpowered and there's a lot of bad sounds in each algo, as well as some good ones that you can tweak and find. By comparison the Strymon algos do less, but everything they do is usable and awesome sounding.

They are a key to me keeping my rig small. I don't want to go back to racks with midi programming for reverb and 6 delays on my board, each with an individual tap tempo button. The Timeline does what I want, sounds good, has all he features I need, and is hard to make sound bad. Win win win win win for me. I still keep my racks and delay pedals for record where every nuance matter, but live, the Strymon stuff is tough to beat.

6. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

The Big Sky is everything I wish I'd had in the 90's when I was gigging with rack mounted reverb units. And the El Cap is what I wish I'd had so I wouldn't have had to haul my Space Echo to gigs.

7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

My sense is that you're not hearing anything new because you've heard at all before. The Strymon pedals are beautiful, but none of this is anything that you couldn't do years ago with rack gear. (Although it's granted that algorithms tend to differ a bit.)

My reverb needs are filled by an Eclipse and a PCM 80. The rig might not be all that portable, but pedals won't do anything new for me.

8. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I'm constantly listening to demos online of whatever the latest cool delay pedal is, that always make me go, "oh mama, that's gorgeous. I want that sound!" And then, most of the time, I can dive deep into my TimeLine and create something that's comparable. I just can't see the point of having just one or two cool delay sounds, or a slew of different little (and often expensive) one-trick pedals, when I have so much variety and tweakability with my $400 Timeline.

The size is warranted in that it provides all those real knobs that you can grab on the fly and instantly tweak your sound. Try that with an H9.

9. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Expensive sterile digital fx units that affluent white guys on tgp fawn over

10. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

High quality effects pedals that some people on TGP like to deride so they can feel superior to the people who happily own them.

11. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

The hidden gem in the TimeLine is the Lo-Fi algo. Set it for any bit-depth and sampling frequency to get anything from a sweet 80's rackmount sound to crazy, crushed deterioration. Add some grit and modulation for character. Warm it up or thin it out with the filter.

Not. Sterile. At all.

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

It's super easy w a H9 to set all your presets after tweaking endlessly through the app, or setup the iPad as part of your rig and do it on the fly live. H9 gives a lot more flexibility, imo.

13. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

Really?

14. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I was expecting that answer. I'm sure you look cooler than me on stage with your iPad clipped to the stand. I don't mean that as a dig at all. :beerI'm sure that works for some people. It's just not something I'd want to deal with myself. Don't think I haven't considered the H9 ... I have.:drool It's definitely a viable option to anyone considering the TimeLine.

15. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

For me:
    Rack unit sound quality in a pedal. I feel like I can get any sound I want out of my Möbius, Timeline and Bigsky. Not even in the "no one would notice a difference live" sort of way. I've been getting sounds out of the Timeline that I like just as much as my MF-104M lately.

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Affluent huh, got 200k in college loans from a useless education and my primary income source is gigging as a guitarist, FOH engineer, or producing loops and consulting on tech stuff for a church.

Affluent? I won't own a house in my lifetime, but I make most of my income using the Timeline.

17. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

espechemode, your comment is offensive and off base.

To the OP: Strymon makes solid products that encourage creativity and on the fly tweaking without tonal sacrifice. Strymon's analog dry through solution is outstanding. Anyone who hears a difference is tone is eitger doing something wrong or has terrible tone that their Strymon pedal is repairing.

Their buffer is outstanding and overall, their attention to recreating vintage voiced effects for the current era is what got me interested in the first place.

TGP has changed over the years - now the trolls come down out of the hills whenever Strymon is mentioned...

18. sdevino

sdevino Member

The attraction to me is the clean sound with lots of headroom. I can run them in the effects loop of my amp without worrying about over driving them or running out of headroom.

Super clean. I prefer to get the dirt I need from the preamp on my amp. I like when the pedals are super clean and not something I have to fight.

19. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

Disagree :munch

Agree :munch

Disagree :munch

20. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

For the record, I'd never bring the iPad on stage. Just use it at home to get the presets in and ready to go.....and to make silly sounds with it.....and to take online lessons to learn how to play better :)