School me on Suhr guitars please!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RJM/rydog2223, May 28, 2008.

1. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Hi I see a lot of talk on Suhr guitars on the board but I have never had the chance to play or even see one for that matter. They seem cool and get a lot of great feedback. Trouble is I don't have a dealer real close to go try a couple. I'm a pretty traditional type player and for the last couple of years have played custom shop strats, LP's and teles. I would love to hear any type of feedback on these geetars just to give me some kind of idea. Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Ryan
    :hide

2. hardys

hardys Member

Okay, I'll stick my neck out. I had a Suhr classic strat type model...alder body, rosewood compound radious neck. Fit and finish were SUPERB!!!! I mean, you could hold this sideways up to direct sunlight and the body paint was like a sheet of glass. It was a resonant guitar with big low end for a Strat, scooped mids & a steely top end. The stainless steel frets may have been the culprit, but is was too bright for my tastes. Also the action was pretty high and adjusting the neck relief and lowering the saddles never helped. It buzzed out before I could get the action low enough for me. Very strange since it was PLEKED at Suhr.

I wanted to love that guitar, 'cause it was beautiful, with a rich, black cherry finish. I never bonded with it and sold it.

Okay...now I've finally said it. I didn't like my Suhr. I've since built a Warmoth Tele & Strat that I like better, although I sent them off to Phil Jacoby in Baltimore to be PLEKED and have bone nuts installed.

That being said, ALLOT of guys rave about thier Suhrs, so what the hell do I know?

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I bought my 1st Suhr strat sight unseen from a guy in PA.. it came cross country and I opened the case and started playing... 45 min later I realized- I never even tuned it! It was in tune right out of the case, and still was after playing for 45 min. It probably gets more play than anything else at my house.
    If you get one, sight unseen- just order the medium C standard, or medium or whatever it's called neck shape- 10-14" compound radius, w/ 6105's. Suhr V60LP pickups sound great. I bet you'll just love it- if you generally like the Fender custom shop stuff.

4. prsflame

prsflame Member

I've had my classic S for a little over 5 years. Lot's of guitars have come and gone, but the Suhr is still with me. I can get the traditional strat tones I need, and I never have to worry about tuning issues, or the general instability that I get with some of my other Strats.

5. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

the only suhr I've ever owned was a Pro Series, and it was amazing. In tune right out of the box, like pete said, and it played like butter. I'm kind of a chick when it comes to my guitars, though, and I couldn't get used to playing a white guitar. I felt like Steve Vai. And no offense to Mr. Vai, but I don't have his hair or his personality or his electric fan hooked to my pedalboard and I felt stupid playing a white guitar. Like a rock n' roll Liberace.

All that is unimportant and irrelevant to your question. To get back on track, and off the therapists couch, my Suhr (a supposed "entry level" Suhr) was arguably one of the best guitars I've ever owned or played and I've owned a half dozen boutique guitars.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Quite simply the best made S and T guitars you can buy at any price .Masses of options Plek dressed SS fret options .You may find something you prefer but it won't be better built.

7. KazJY

KazJY Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I think this matters: Someone (a sales-dude) told me that if I want a Strat, buy a Strat, but if I want something to shred on, get a Suhr. Is this correct?

8. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Too bad on this, I never though Jimi or George Harrison looked like R&R Liberace's w/ their white Strats. LOL.

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Maybe just as important as the instruments themselves is the fact that John, Ed, Mike, etc. are all fine people that stand squarely behind John's products. Excellent and timely customer service; e-mails and phone calls answered by good and knowledgeable people; you never get the "bum's rush" when you are looking for help.

Aside from fine guitars, Suhr's customer service is top-notch.

10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

ya they are just great guys. A really class operation.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Like any guitar, you have to find the right one for you. However, since the quality and consistency of Suhr guitars is so high it makes it much easier to find the right one. I have a Suhr TS with a Big V neck carve and I am simply amazed at the wonderful tones that come out of it every time I play it. Plus, the guitar just feels right in my hands. It is definitely a huge step up from the mass production lines.

[​IMG]

12. cnardone

cnardone Member

Suhr does more than just super strats. His "traditional" S and T styles are fantastic guitars with many options to customize your guitars feel and sound to be more modern, vintage, or aggressive etc.. depending on what you need.

cmn

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've only had an opportunity to play one Suhr: TGPer TNJ's T style and it rocked! Very well made great sounding and playing guitar.

14. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I've played a few that were very nice guitars. I prefer a 1.75" nut width and an old-school vintage-spaced bridge on my Strat/Tele style guitars, but I don't think that's an option on any of their guitars. That's a deal-killer for me.

15. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

i've tried a classic T recently and it plays great.... the guitar has a nice feel when played and well built...

16. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I bought a Pro S1 without ever having the opportunity to play one. I did my research, listened to all the great review from fellow Gear Pagers and took the plunge and ordered one from Wild West Guitars. Absolutely fantastic playing guitar with flawless fit and finish. I became such a Suhr believer I ordered a Classic T with my own specs......I love that option.

17. Janne.M

Janne.M Member

I would rephrase that to:
    if You want a Strat, buy a Suhr Classic, but if You want something to shred on, get a Suhr Modern. And if You're not in one those camps, get a Suhr Standard.

Janne

18. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I own three Suhr's, two Classics, one Classic T, all equally outstanding in every way. Best bolt-ons I've ever owned.

19. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I maintain a website for a music store that does a ton of Fender Custom Shop sales, so I get to try many really nice Strat's and Tele's.

Someone consigned a Suhr S1 Pro and I really liked it, and grabbed it up.

I ordered a SSS pick guard and another V60LP for the bridge and now it's more of a traditional Strat type of guitar.

IMO it plays as good or better than most or all of the CS guitars I've played.
    It sounds beautiful, full and clear, the tone is very, very rich.

But...

To me, it does not exactly sound like a traditional 'real' Strat, at least compared A/B with a couple of Fender CS I tried against it, could be just the pups.
    It's not really different, it has it's own vibe. I'd never notice it unless I was comparing the two. That being said, the tone does not leave me wanting anymore from it. It's completely satisfying.

You could not give me a production Strat over my Suhr. I bought at least 6 in the last 3 years trying to find 'the one' without paying CS prices. They all ended with frustration.

I got the Suhr used for a killer price and it's now my 'Strat'.

My Suhr plays so good it almost has 'spider sense' a precognitive ability to let my finger release what is coming from my head. (it plays really good!)
    If you can pick up a used one, you'll be ahead of the Fender game for sure.

That being said, I still play my G&L ASAT classic 95% of the time. :cool:
    It doesn't play quite as well as the Suhr, but the tone is magical.:BEER

[​IMG]

20. Ken

Ken Member

Pete,
    What Humbucker do you use in your Suhr?