School me on the Box of Rock!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisross, Feb 24, 2012.

1. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Who uses one?

I'm thinking about running my Timmy into it. I love my SHO and so it would replace it (the SHO is pretty much built into the BOR). I've never owned a distortion pedal and I'd probably run it pretty mild.

I've heard it got a pretty loose low-end?

What's y'alls experience with it?

Yay or nay?

2. heffernoise

heffernoise Supporting Member

yay. i was impressed with it. it sounds like it would do exactly what your looking for.. i tried it vs an OCD, BOR all day long in my opinion

3. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I had one for a while. Over all I think it's a nice pedal! The low end is indeed loose on these, but that's by design. It's modeled off of a Marshall JTM45, which has a looser low end, than say, a JCM 800 or a Super Lead.

With the Box of Rock, that loose low end shows itself as being more apparent through some rigs more than others. This is why Zvex included a switch that changes how tight the low end is on the Distortron (which is just a single button version of the drive side of a BoR). At any rate, it's a nice sounding pedal. And of course, the boost side is great.

That said...you may want to look into the Double Rock pedal that Zvex is planning on releasing this year. It looks to be awesome... You can read about it here... http://zvex.com/zvex_pr.html

4. chrisross

I should have mentioned, my first two overdrives were a Blues Driver and an OCD V4. So I have used the OCD. But, I never really considered the OCD to be a distortion pedal...is it?

Anyways, I really dug the OCD, but it wasn't that bright. Will the BOR do it for me?

5. tylermoss

tylermoss Member

I think you would be pretty happy with it, it does great big crunch all the way down to more of a texture / mild amp breakup. also plays nicely with rolling oof the volume on your guitar. i run one into my tim, use the SHO side to drive tim harder sometimes. great pedal!

6. chrisross

Yeah...I'm convinced. Check the sig.

7. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

I just pulled the trigger on a BOR and will be stacking into a Tim. What are your settings for both pedals?

8. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Boost is cool.

Dirt side of BOR is too bassy unless you leave it always on and turn your amps' bass down in every context I've used mine in.

Bass is indeed loose. If you don't need the boost part, the Distortron is a more controllable version of the Dirt side of the BOR. I'd suggest that.

9. john l

john l Member

Im a Distortron man myself, I know its based off the BOR but I actually consider it a superior pedal if you dont need the boost. That sub switch does wonders with that thick chunky clipping.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Seriously get the Distortron. The extra switches for more gain and 3 different levels of bass make it superior to the original BOR.

11. droptune

droptune Member

I did not like the BOR at all through my Bassman RI. The lowend was loose and it sounded muddy. Wish I still had it so I could run it through my JVM.

12. chrisross

There's what makes me want the BOR more than the Distortron

13. steveb

steveb Member

I don't think the low end is loose, but the lows are a predominent part of the overall sound. I use mine as an "always on" pedal with the 3 distortron controls +/- noon. The boost is set to be a hair over unity to kick in the volume when needed. I use other OD & fuzz pedals stacked into it for more gain & hair.
    My main amp is a 66 Bassman head going into a 1-12 open back cab. The BOR gives a nice low end thump even at bedroom volumes.

14. matthornet

matthornet Member

I think you'll be delighted by one. Impressive little thing... Very natural tube sounding tones from a mild crunch to a 'spongy' distortion as described by PGS Andy. I love how responsive this pedal is and cleans up like a real tube amp. Not to mention the really versatile boost section. You've got a winner. Looser bass? yea, it's there but it depends on your amp really.

15. Ryan

Ryan Member

OCD not bright? :huh

16. koa

koa Member

I felt the bass was too loose and woofy.

17. krog

krog Member

I have both the Distortron and the BOR...love them both and sound great stacked. The Distortron has more gain and is more tweakable and both sound so dang natural. If I had to choose one.....I'd take the BOR. The boost is the deal breaker for me. I play a Tele through mostly Fender amps and do not experience the "woofy/muddiness". YMMV.

18. keano

keano Member

BOR sounds amazing on the Shiva clean channel.

19. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Great natural big amp od, stacks well with others and has the best vol clean up I've heard.

20. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

The BOR into a Tim is the best OD stack I have played to date. I set the Tim with gain @ 11:00, bass and treble @ 9:00 and volume @ 11:00. I'll set the gain on the BOR at different places, but usually between 1:00-3:00.

To my ears, this tightens up the BOR and you get that nice, thicker gain from the stacking. I play Fender tweeds and blackfaces.