School me on the Budda Superdrive 18/30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IcedEarth, May 7, 2016.

1. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

I'm looking for an articulate simple amp, that covers a wide range. I do get into heavier territory as well, ala 80's thrash, and some drop-D tunings. How TIGHT and focused will this get for the heavier stuff, with a boost?? I have several boost pedals, as well as EQ's in the loop, etc.

A lot say it's a take on the Jubilee. How accurate is that? It seems as though it will cover the ground I'm after, but I'm concerned about it being too flabby on the bass end of things.

I'm running a Marshall 1960A 4x12, BTW.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I'd go with an SD80 if you want tight. The little EL84's are more middy/vocal. My 80 was way tighter/ more lows and highs (more articulate), than my SD30.

sickboy79 likes this.
  3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree with Buddastrat's comment. I have a SD30 series I head. Love it. To me, it's Vox meets Plexi on the rhythm channel. Wonderful cleans and gets into classic RnR tones when pushed hard. The Drive channel is one of the best Plexi on steroids tones I've ever heard. Big and fat and a wonderful singing quality to it but, it still has clarity and jangle to it.

Definitely a different amp than the Jubilee (I have one of those as well). Not sure the 18 or 30 would be what you are looking for as far as super tight bottom end for thrash tones. The 80 is probably a better candidate for that. But, I've also never really considered the Superdrive series a metal amp. To me it's more a classic rock to hard rock amp. But, give one a try if you can. It may just be your ticket.

4. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I have an Sd30 and it's great but not tight. With a boost it can do some thrashy stuff but wouldn't be my first choice for that. It is one the best sounding/feeling amps I've ever played though.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  5. PKYINK

PKYINK Member

I've never gotten to play one but it seems from what I've read and the numerous clips and whatnot that the Buddas have a different kind of compression to them than the Marshalls. It makes them appealing to me but others don't like it.

If I remember correctly the original circuit the Buddas are derived from was a modified Jubilee.

6. shanesiegle

Could be, from what I know it's very similar to the Naylor as well as the Friedman Naked. Dave Friedman helped design it so that makes sense. They do compress but also are super touch sensitive. Very hard to describe.

NamaEnsou and PKYINK like this.
  7. PKYINK

PKYINK Member

There's a guy on one of the forums, I think it's this one, who made a clone of the original SD. I'll think of his name eventually, I'm wanting to say Fusion Bear? Anyway, I messaged him at one point and he told me the components/changes that separate it from a Jube. I need to find the email. I've been thinking of having Phaez make me a tweaked version of a Budda.

NamaEnsou and shanesiegle like this.
  8. shanesiegle

I wouldn't be surprised there is some Marshall DNa in there just with an el84 power section.

9. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Those budda amps are loud and mean. The 18 is LOUD. If you understand that more gain means less bass for tightness, you could work with it. Clearly, you understand how to use a drive pedal as a boost and simultaneous low cut.