• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

School me on vibrato..

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
hey guys..ive really been thinking of adding a vibrato pedal to my setup.other than sound clips,i really dont know much about the effect.i guess im just looking to experiment.are the pedals pretty easy to use musically speaking?any suggestions welcome.thanks.

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
here's MY advice :

I have an old Boss VB-2 that I LOVE

I had one earlier and messed w/ it and sold it.. Tried a few other Vibratos and sold them.. Thought I didn't "GET" vibrato

Then.. I used one in context of a song. On a recording. In a band setting

when YOU are bending in and outta pitch - and everybody ELSE in staying put - there's magic.

so.. try one while playing w/ others - NOT alone by yourself.

Start w/ it set subtle and slow and add some delay or verb.. It can be pretty infectious

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
yes... it's a pretty good VIBE for the money

definitely NOT the kind of Vibrato I was talking about though

Micro-Vibe is that Hendrixy / Robin Trower watery sound -

UNI-VIBE not "Vibrato"

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Vibrato to mean means true pitch shifting vibrato, ala Magnatone. Best equivalent to that in a pedal is the the Bigfoot Magnavibe. That's one cool sounding pedal.
MD

carljoensson

uni-vibes etc are wobbly and swirly like a leslie

A VB-2 goes from ethereal shimmer to seasickness. Subtle usage could make a sound to softly rocking a bigsby. /C

Mandoboy

The BYOC Analog Vibrato is a VB-2 clone that sounds really great; from subtle to mega-seasick and all points in between. Looks like an advanced build, but you can get one professionally preassembled for under $200. Got mine used here on the forum, and have used it in the studio.

I also love the Catalinbread Pareidolia, which is a combination of an early Twin vibrato, a little throbbing Univibe, a little tremolo, and a little lysergic wink-wink ;)

carljoensson

The BYOC Analog Vibrato is a VB-2 clone that sounds really great; from subtle to mega-seasick and all points in between. Looks like an advanced build, but you can get one professionally preassembled for under $200. Got mine used here on the forum, and have used it in the studio.

I also love the Catalinbread Pareidolia, which is a combination of an early Twin vibrato, a little throbbing Univibe, a little tremolo, and a little lysergic wink-wink ;)
Good suggestions. Apparently the Malekko Omicron series Vibrato does the shimmery VB-2 style pretty good too./C

Top Bottom