School me on Weezer post-Pinkerton

Bunky

I really love the first two albums, especially Pinkerton, and I know a few tracks off the green album and maybe a couple others after that. Am I missing much or was it mostly all down hill?

Weezer is one of the most 'they should have quit after...' bands and I do not get why. They have the baggage of their first album being a classic and then a long hiatus after a less well-received second (Rivers went to Harvard and many publications have taken the very rare step of saying they were wrong about Pinkerton - it was great too - and publishing it.)

With the exception of Make Believe, I think all of Weezer's albums have been exceptionally good.

Stratosphere

Weezer is one of the most 'they should have quit after...' bands and I do not get why. They have the baggage of their first album being a classic and then a long hiatus after a less well-received second (Rivers went to Harvard and many publications have taken the very rare step of saying they were wrong about Pinkerton - it was great too - and publishing it.)

With the exception of Make Believe, I think all of Weezer's albums have been exceptionally good.
Naw. They really did need to write Hash Pipe. Their best song evah!!

Stratosphere

The blue album and Pinkerton were one of the deadliest one two combo punches since rubber soul and revolver.
Funny thing: it seems from what I've read nearly everyone hated Pinkerton when it came out. Sale's plummeted, critics cast it into hell. I think Rivers went into a bit of a depression after that one. About 10 years later the critics did a mea culpa and now Rolling Stone calls it one of the best 50 albums or something like that. I'm not much of a fan but I think that's gonna be my favorite. I used to hate Weezer. I think I'll dig them a lot over time. I thought the new one wasn't half bad actually.

micycle

Blue is my favorite, green is my 2nd favorite. Everything else I love as well, but those two are the standouts.

I'll never forget the first time I heard the sweater song when they were still relatively unknown - it was 11:30 or so on a Sunday night and I was on my way to the grocery store. I was shocked that I loved it as much as I did and had to sit in my truck and keep listening to the radio to find out who they were so I could go buy the album. That was one of those rare albums where I immediately loved every song on it the first time I heard it.

Ryan84

I really love the first two albums, especially Pinkerton, and I know a few tracks off the green album and maybe a couple others after that. Am I missing much or was it mostly all down hill?
Here's my theory why the first two are so f*cking good.

Blue Album: Their first album, essentially Rivers had his whole life up to "that point" to write and accumulate his best songs. It could be argued for a lot of bands part of the reason their debut is so good.

Pinkerton: Rivers was essentially in a deep depression during the sessions and writing for this album. You hear the longing and loneliness in the lyrics and it makes for compelling and memorable songs.

Afterwards, maybe it's just the classic case of too happy/too rich to write compelling material anymore and or they really hit their peak/stride early on. Either way, not the end of the world.

greenlander

They were never the same after Matt Sharp left. Although he wasn't the primary writer I think he helped shape their direction and acted as a good foil for Rivers.

Blue Album and Pinkerton are just about perfect (although I've never liked "El Scorcho" at all). After that there were a few decent songs but the albums were pretty weak. "Dope Nose" and "Hash Pipe" were solid singles, and "Slob" from Maladroit is a good tune. They were always great live during the first few tours. I completely checked out on Weezer after hearing that "Beverly Hills" song. Total crap.

kc_hubbs

I've been a weezer fan since Pinkerton. Their first 4 albums are the only ones i can listen to all the way through. Make Believe was okay. Everything after that only seem to have about 2 or 3 good songs.

However, they recently put up a new song called "California Kids" that i really like. Reminds me of Blue stuff. I think mainly because it doesnt have the super slick production all their later albums had.

taez555

Every album since Pinkerton sounds like Weezer overthinking and trying to recapture what made those first albums great.

That's about it. None of them are really bad, they just don't have that same honesty. They all feel very guarded.

Cruciform

I've always been interested in the changes that cause a band to fall from greatness into mediocrity. Usually it's either drugs or because some core member of the band leaves. I always assumed the latter happened to Weezer because bassist Matt Sharp left the band right after Pinkerton. If you listen to interviews with Sharp he always says something to the effect of "Whatever Weezer sounds like now it wouldn't be much different if I was still in the band." I tend to believe this since Sharp's output since Weezer isn't similar at all.

I think the real reason the Blue album was so amazing was twofold. First, just like all debut albums, the band had forever to write it with zero pressure. Second...and I think this is the key and most overlooked ingredient to the Blue album's genesis: RIC OCASEK. Ole Ric turned their songs into solid gold if you ask me.

Check out Weezer's Kitchen Tapes (effectively their demo) to see what Weezer was pre-Ocasek.

Weezer - The Kitchen Tapes

Pinkerton was self-produced and sounded a lot different, eh?

Trending Topics