Scientific Fact: Boss Pedals Suck (tone)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slambango, Oct 2, 2008.

1. slambango

slambango Active Member

scientific fact - an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)

I have carefully observed (over and over) that Boss pedals suck (tone).

This is accepted as true.

Just because some people can't hear it, doesn't change the fact!

It blows me away to see such shoddy gear on pedalboards. People actually spend $2000 on an amp, $2000 on a guitar, then allow a $90 Boss pedal to destroy it all. Amazing.

Hey, it took me years to admit it too!!! :NUTS

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i tend to think the boss tonesuck is a little overstated but its definitely there

supposedly the dd7 is a big step in the right direction though...

still, no boss on my board.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

To prove it, post a before/after clip. Otherwise it's just speculation. i.e. just because you *say* you hear it doesn't make it so. Folks say they hear all kinds of things like cables that need to be broken in, monster speaker cable, etc., etc...

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

does anyone else feel like tag has posessed the mind of a satanic metalhead from boston?

no offense, tag. . . .

5. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

I Have a Master’s Degree… In Science!... :banana

6. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Sorry to say, this is so stupid.

The only way to win this debate is to be playing an acoustic gutiar.

As long as you're playing an electric guitar with signals going thru a path, there's always gonna be SOME tone sucking, Boss or true bypass.

If you like the tone coming from the speakers in your cab, then screw true bypass, screw high-end cables, any of that.

IMHO, all that signal degration stuff is just a trend/hype anyways. WHO CARES IF YOU'RE(and the audience is) HAPPY WITH YOUR TONE!!!

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Let's close TGP and all use a peavey and a squier then. ;)

8. 205

205 Senior Member

Thanks Einstein!!

9. samhambone

samhambone Member

i know this may be considered sacrilege - but i like my boss ce-2 and tuner not only for what they are designed to do (chorus and tune) but also as a buffer at the end of my pedal chain (not an expert by any means - but without them i get some noticeable high end roll off and some impedance weirdness).

10. Peeb

Peeb Member

I, personally have observed tone suckage with my boss pedal (the RC-2).

11. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

Sometimes an all-Boss pedalboard can sound like the right tone. Incubus can pull off Boss pedals and the like very nicely. I can definitely tell right when I walk into the room if a live band's guitarist is using lots of Boss pedals. They do have a certain sonic signature, I assume from their buffers and FET switches.

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I just posted something similar in the other Boss suck thread... Michael Gurley of Dada uses his Boss pedalboard with his Boogies.. So does Incubus and so do LOADS of other of my favorite guitarists... I believe Jimmy Herring did last time I saw him. .. So what huh? We all have our own tastes.. Paul Weller/Backstepper's Boss Ds1 mods are way better than anyone else's I've tried, so I tend to have 1 of his Ds1's in my pedalboard many gigs. . I also use the Boss PH3 Phase Shifter as I get it to sound exactly like SOundgarden for my Soundgarden tunes and lots of my own signature bizarre tones.. I have boutique pedals, rare pedals, modded pedals, true bypass pedas, DAnelectro and Boss... who cares what guys type about 'tone suckage' if we like them ? :) ALSO , who cares that many of your favorite guitarists use Boss pedals and they suck extremely badly :)

OH WELL .. not sure if I'm trying to convince anyone anything other than , if your tone changes when you use pedals like Boss, you typically have lots of KNOBS on your pedals and amps to REDIAL IN YOUR TONE so it doesn't suck

Eric

13. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

I really like my DD2 and CE2, but I do put them on a TB looper because even when they are bypassed they seem to compress my signal, and narrow the freq response from my guitar.

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I run my BF2, CE5 and DD20 in my amp's fx loop. They work better there.

15. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

>really like my DD2 and CE2, but I do put them on a TB looper because even when they are bypassed they seem to compress my signal, and narrow the freq response from my guitar.

Totally my finding too, with my MIJ DD3. I can replace it with a Tech21 Boost Delay or a Hardwire DL-8 (in either true-bypass OR buffered mode) and definitely hear a noticeable difference on my board. Not crazy about the Boss buffers in general.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  16. wyatt

wyatt Member

Vince Gill's pedalboard is almost exclusively Boss (and was before he went to Zendrives). Heck, his pedalboard is even the Boss model and power supply.

Robert Smith of the Cure's is exclusively Boss.

Brett Mason uses various Boss pedals.

IIRC, Bill Kirchen's board, for years and years, was Boss Compressor, Ibanez TS-9 and AD-9 (into a SFDR).

I don't argue the point that many, if not most pedals, have an affect o the signal why bypass, heck, just using a 10 longer cable can affect tone; to me, it's either worth the compromise or it gets replaced.

My DM-2 seems to me to be pretty transparent in bypass and is my favorite delay, even over my Echoplex's. On the ohter hand, my OC-2 severly dampened my picking dynamics when bypassed (perhaps its buffer was based around the pedal being envelope driven) and delivered a pretty poor effect, so it went bye-bye.

But ultimately, what matters to me is what appears in the mix, not what the audiophile quality is when practicing in my den. There is no way an audience could tell what a Boss pedal does to my tone without having a reference tone to compare to anyway, so it's a moot point.

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I use a bunch of pedals including some Boss stuff and I'm sure they all effect my tone in some way.
    But,
    That doesn't always mean a negative thing, as long as I like the way it sounds in the end...does it really even matter?

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

I noticed this when trying a new BOSS DD earlier this year. IMO, it really didn't affect tone as much as it seemed to rob me of clarity, especially pick attack/roll-on/roll-off response. This was with it on or off.

Maybe if someone plays loud enough and tweaks their amp, they can compensate so it's not an issue for them, but for me, I moved on to true by-pass pedals.

BTW, never heard of breaking in cables...that's a new one. :dude

19. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

What's amazing is how many more chicks you get when they know you are using science to rock their ****ing socks off.

20. dsl

dsl Member