SCN or Fender Noiseless for my strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kensmith, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kensmith

kensmith Member

Okay if you had to pick between these two sets for a strat, which do you prefer?
    I have a gift card to Amazon for $125 so that limits the budget and the selection.

My main use will be into my M13 rig direct to Tech21 Blonde into PA at church. The strat is an american strat with rosewood fretboard, pretty standard stuff. I have a couple of Tele's and a Gibson Les Paul....but I am hoping to have a #1 that can cover alot of territory.

I want it to be quiet, and my Hush pedal can take care of most of the noise. Which of these are better with more gain for crunch tones? I would prefer flexibility over noiseless, and was also considering leaving the neck and middle alone and adding just a mini Duncan humbucker in the bridge like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunca...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261522636&sr=8-8

Fender Vintage Noiseless:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Vintag...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261522024&sr=8-3

SCN:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Noisel...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261522106&sr=1-1

2. david henman

david henman Member

...having spent way too many years pursuing this, here are my suggestions:

1 turn down the gain on your o/d pedals

2 if you still need "noiseless" pickups, invest in the suhr silent backplate system

-dh

3. jhuse

jhuse Member

Being your $$ limit is $125, I'd say go for the SCNs. Admittedly, I've not played them that much, but I'm getting ready to pull my VNs out of my Strat. To me, the VNs are too bassy, and borderline muddy. I don't know...if you go with the VNs, maybe install a TBX tone control (ala Clapton Strat) so you can cut the bass.

4. Schappy

Schappy Member

Im a Seymour Duncan fan myself and I love their noiseless single coils.

On the Fender side the only thing I know is the Clapton uses the "vintage" and Jeff Beck uses the "hots".

If they use them they cant be that bad.

5. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

For me, it's an easy question. SCN all the way. Vintage Noiseless aren't bad pickups (see the Clapton Strat), but IMO, the SCN are just that much better. I have a set in my 50th Anniv Amer. Deluxe Strat. Sounds like a Strat to me.

Don't get caught up in the material the magnet is made from. Bill Lawrence designed the circuit for the SCN pickups around the magnet.

And IIRC, there are two versions of SCN available for Strats. There's the regular version found in most Am Dlx Strats that are S-S-S. There's a hotter version that they used to put in the Am Dlx Strats that were H-S-S.

6. jchan

jchan Member

I have the SCNs in an American Standard Strat. I had problems in clubs with noise when playing higher gain. I had all 3 swapped. They are a little hotter and other than an A/B comparison I don't think anyone would be able to tell. They definitely work at cutting down the noise and still sound great IMO.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

SCN's for sure! I find them to be very sweet sounding in my CS Strat Pro, and can cover a lot of ground tonally from vintage to higher gain tones with ease. Yes I also have played plenty of other pickups, and currently have 57/62's in my other Strat, and as far as I am concerned the SCN's have plenty of dynamics.

Give a listen here and see for yourself!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DiKKT66Cc&feature=PlayList&p=34842153540369A1&index=11

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I have these in my Deluxe Strat and love them. Great for spanky clean, 2 and 4 position quack, and incredible with gain when you need them. My strat also has a rosewood neck and I love the neck and 2nd position tones out of the SCN pickups.

:banana

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have SCNs in my American Deluxe V-neck Strat, but have considered the "Beck" Hot Noiseless...but never actually do it, I like the SCNs.

10. NicDo

NicDo Supporting Member

I'd go for the SCN version. I had the Vintage Noiseless for a long while and never liked them. Then I picked up an 06 Am. Deluxe V neck with the SCNs and bought it right away. Sold the Vintage Noiseless.

People tell me my Strat sounds so "straty" :nuts