SCN pickups and Bill Lawrence single coils

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oacikgoz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Hi everyone,

Could someone clarify why Fender SCN pickups keep getting bad reviews here and there (like Harmony Central Pickup reviews and different forums) and Lawrence L-2xx pickups are hailed as some of the best single coils ever made? Am I missing something? I thought SCN's are quite similar to L-200s. I'm asking because I got a new US Deluxe Strat with 3 SCNs installed.

Thanks.

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I personally love the SCN pickups. But I realize they do not sound exactly like vintage single coils and I am OK with that. I think a lot of people expect them to sound just like vintage singel coils and they do not. But I think they sound real good. Don't know how they differ from the Bill Lawrence pickups.

3. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

They're both very nice and anyone who says they aren't is FOS. They don't sound exactly like vintage singles but they are excellent in their own right. It's wonderful to have single coilish tone without the hum. I have a friend who has the Lawrences in one of his strats and the SCNs in another. Both sound great.

4. ShaunzNoiz

ShaunzNoiz Member

They sound great. I don't know why guys are so reluctant to change.

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I've had Lawrence L 280's in my EC Strat for a few years now. I love 'em. Granted they don't sound like like a true single coil but they are quite good and are dead quiet. I don't own a guitar with the SCN's but I've tried out a few. I liked them. I found them brighter than the L 280's but still very good sounding. I would be happy to have them in one of my guitars.

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

whats wrong with the SCN's? I love the S-1 switch too. Vintage they are not, but they sound great. Not my favorites probably, but I like them.

7. dazco

dazco Member

I had them in a deluxe and liked them for maybe 2 months. then I started hearing things in them that i didn't like. Sorta the same way a SS amp sometimes can sound good then after a while you start hearing the flaws in them. It's never happened with regular singles. I've had some that i've gotten bored with, but never felt were flawed sounding as the SCN's sounded to me in time. Buy hey, it's all about what you like. You either "get it" or you don't. Same with quality vintage style SC's...i get them.

speaking of SCN's, i also had a set of lace holy grails which i felt the same way about....thought they were good but they eventually grated on me. I really did like the neck tho especially, and i wish i could have both at once because while the grails eventually got to me the same way as SCN's, i still liked the neck sound. But even with that I liked vintage singles more so it had to go.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I agree with Dazco. I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something going on when you play a set of vintage single coil type pickups that can get shuffled out when you go noiseless.

I've got some Bill and Becky 609s in the neck and bridge of a 72 Tele Deluxe kinda sorta home brew. I like them very much, but the proof is how I like them in 6 months.

Any reservations I may have about the SCNs (based on playing but not owning them) is that when Bill Lawrence is not present to see that things are done a certain way - you may get a good or even great pup but you don't get that consistent stellar result that Bill has always demanded. Look at how long he kept us waiting waiting for the chrome look cover on the Tele Keystones. And more recently, while we wait on the perfection of the making of the new Mini-Coils (although maybe there's a patent awaiting processing there also). But the sales of the SCN means royalty dollars for Bill and Becky and that goes right into development and production of new pickup designs so I won't have too much mean to say about them. :AOK

9. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I had a 50th anniversary Deluxe with the SCN's and what I gathered after a lot of listening to those side by side to regular single coils through a clean amp is you miss a lot of the subtleties. Chime, and especially that single coil shimmer didn't stack up. However, in a band situation 99 percent of the listening public won't know the difference and you won't have any hum. They are very versatile as well.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have a 50th Anniv. Am. Dlx. Strat with SCNs and a Am. Dlx. QMT HSS with Hot SCN's and both sound great.

I wouldn't say that they sound better than vintage single coils, but they sound wonderful..very Stratty. The QMT below has actually become my #1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

I never had issues with tone when I had an Am Dlx strat with SCN's. They sound different to low output single coil pickups ... they're a bit thicker and a little less piano like on the low notes, but still essentially stratty. I personally wouldn't say they sound modern when compared to low output single coils ... just different as I just described.

12. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

So far I'm very happy with them. I really missed the single coil tone at the bridge. I used to play an HSS strat and humbucker always sounded muddy when I played lower E string. Single coil is much tighter, it cuts thru like a knife. Open chords through a heavily overdriven amp sound fantastic, you can hear every string individually despite the amount of gain.

The standard single coil pickups sound terrible at extreme gain settings but I'm pleasantly surprised that SCN sounds fantastic with a high gain amp. These pickups are VERY versatile.

One thing that these pickups miss is the amount of quack at 2 & 4. But I think they do an extremely good job for a noiseless pickup. Did I tell you it has less noise than my previous humbucker? :)

13. bynt

bynt Member

Bingo. I've got Lawrences from Bill and Becky in my Strat and LOVE THOSE PICKUPS!!! I like them better than NON hum canceling pickups. To be fair I've never had SCN's in my guitar but I think the Lawrences are 100 times better sounding. The SCN's aren't bad per se, but I think they're kinda cold and lifeless sounding compared to mine. YMMV, but I'm betting there's some cost cutting going on with the SCN's that don't happen with Bills. Can't say enough about how pleased I am with mine (for 2 or 3 years now).:AOK