SCOD = fuzz????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by what?, Feb 16, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

Guys I just got a Catalinbread SCOD and IMHO it sounds like a very fuzzy distortion??After reading people's commments on the SCOD I got the impression that SCOD is a RAT-type distortion without the wooly quality of RAT and the hairy adges, but it seemed to have more hairy edges than the RAT to my ears. I've got the Keeley RAT BTW. I'm using both single and humbuckers and uses Marshall 1962 bluesbreaker. Is it my ear or my gear?I need enlightenment here :confused:

2. VanStone

VanStone Member

Well, IMO, the SCO tends to sound like poop with a clean amp. How clean is the Bluesbreaker (my knowledge of vintage amps is pretty limited)?

My favorite application is to drive my Groove Tubes Soul-O 50 with it (level to taste, contour 4 o'clock, and gain 1 - 2 o'clock). It gives me the best early Black Sabbath tone I've ever heard short of Mr. Iommi himself. So, yes it has some fur around the edges - like a treble booster into a cranked Laney or Orange, only without the ice-pick in your ear.

You can dial it down for some mellower tones, but I rarely do so because it really shines for Hard Rock.

V

3. what?

what? Member

the bluesbreaker was pretty clean, I havent really tried the pedal in band situation where I get my amp cranked...would a low gain dirt pedal in front of the SCOD help?

4. VanStone

VanStone Member

I don't think so. There's gobs of gain in the SCO - no need to goose it. The point I was trying to make was that this pedal it won't make a vintage amp sound like a cranked JCM 800. I would suggest a CM Plexi Tone, MI Crunch Box, Kaden Brown Kreeper, EMMA reezaFRATzitz, or GGG BSIABII if that's where you want to go.

What the SCO does best, IMO, is to take a Marshally amp that's already capable of some good dirt at high volumes and cause it sound like it's giving up the goods (and then some) at much lower volumes. It also adds some lower harmonics, and I really love that treble booster-like fizz that it adds to the high notes.

I messed around with mine a bit last night (I normally leave it on that nice hairy Iommi-like setting). Try it with the countour around noon, gain around 11 o'clock, and maybe drop your guitar volume a bit and the hair should go away.

V

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Holy crap. I just got this pedal, so it's "honeymoon" stage. But *******, it is sweet into a mildly overdriven mesa blue angel. It does have some fuzz like attributes, IMO, but I would consider it a distortion as it seems to cut a lot better than any fuzz I've ever tried (fuzzface clones and muffs). The contour knob is subtle when it comes to tonal adjustments but it really changes the feel and compression characteristics. My favorite settings are gain between 9:00 and 12:00 and the contour knob at 10:00 or lower.

:cool:

6. VanStone

VanStone Member

Heh, the SCO is one of those pedals that seems to polarize people - you either love it or you hate it. And I think it's largely rig dependent.

Glad to hear it gets along well with your Mesa, Papa Taco. :AOK

V

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'm hoping it gets along with my incoming Valvetech Hayseed too.
    ;)

8. arexjay

arexjay Member

Sounds great with my Fender Blues Deluxe. I run it at about 6 (out of 12) and it is slightly breaking up, but definately not dirty.

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I had a SCOD. Really liked it in the beginning. Then I got the OCD and the battle was lost on part of the SCOD. Somehow the OCD is way more useable. It's more focused and with a tighter bottom end + it comes out better in a band mix. I just couldn't find a use for the SCOD in my band so I sold it. I reckon it's better suited for grungey and stoner type stuff where there is no need to have a really tight sound. Just my 2 cents...

10. VanStone

VanStone Member

Interesting. It sounds way bad with my BFDR clone. A couple of guys on another forum also said it sounded terrible with their clean amps. Heh, one guy with a Rivera rig called it "an orange poop machine".

Just goes to show you never know about a pedal until you try it with your own rig.

V

11. arexjay

arexjay Member

Which makes the overdrive/distortion search exponentially harder!!!

12. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Different Strokes for Different Folks! The SCOD is certainly hitting it's stride without the blessing of hype or nonsense stories about 12 years of striving for a 100W XXXX in a box. It is a dirt box. One that even I can't place it's sound. I think that is the main reason for it's polarizing effect. I would prefer Catalinbread stuff to be a uniters not a dividers. :p I think I have to live with that to be able to put out truely something original.

Anyway thanks for the healthy discussion!

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

My gawd, man. Loving this pedal. You da mang.

There is some "catalinbread" tonal signature it seems, as some settings of it vaguely remindme of your teaser stallion distortion side.

taco

14. VanStone

VanStone Member

Nicholas, man I love the SCO with my dirty rig. Just keep on doin' what you're doin'. That's part of why this pedal is so cool - it doesn't sound quite like anything else.

Your Sagrado is a whoopa$$ pedal too. Have you ever thought about making a 4 knob version of it with volume, gain, treble, and bass (that or TMB&V and a wee bit more clean headroom)? That would absoluetly kill.

V

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

IMO, only a complete and utter moron would not love this pedal.
    IMO.

;) I keed. To each his own.

taco