ScoMule

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by holden_caufield9, Feb 27, 2015.

1. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

Going to go see Govt Mule and John Scofield tomorrow night in Indy. My wife got me front row right in front of Warren. I've been watching the setlists from the shows on this tour and it looks like it will be a great show.

Has anyone else seen them together recently?

2. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

I give up on you phonies. 30 views and not one post. To top it off, 99% of you won't get the "phonies" reference, but will get all butt hurt that I called you phonies....

TGP, you guys are whack....

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Sco is my favorite player, and I'm waiting for my cd to arrive, so I haven't heard it it.

Thanks for your scintillating review, Mr. 199 posts. I predict big things for you around here. :beer

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Did you bother to search for previous threads on the topic?

Have fun at the show. It's a goodin.

5. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Enjoy it man! I've been listening to the tour, and there's some really great left field stuff on there.

6. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

Lol, thats Mr. 199 posts over 5 years to you sir! I was on harmony central almost since day one and here lurking since day one and I'll never get tired of people thinking that post count means anything. I'm sure my loud mouthed little sister could rack up a few hundred posts a day but that doesn't make her Seth Lover...

7. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

I agree man. I was hoping for an all instrumental show, but changed my mind when I saw the setlist from the first show.

8. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

Thoseare on a different board. None in the pub.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Well, being an original member of HC will get you lots of street cred around here for sure!

Post a review when you go, I'd love to hear. Looking at the schedule, they aren't coming anywhere near my neck of the woods, so it will have to be the incoming cd.

10. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

Well, it's late and I just got back. I'll try to post a longer review tomorrow, but here are my initial thoughts:

The first set with the mule was great. They had to start at 10:30 because there was a production of Annie in the theater below us. Honestly, I think they had to change the setlist up at the last minute to accommodate the shorter time allotted to them.

I hate to say this and will probably get flamed but Scofield was totally off his game. He was boinking notes and playing off key the whole night. I'm not talking your normal jazz oddness. He was staring at the sheet music most of the night and just looked lost. He got a little better as the night went on, but it was really hard to listen to. I have the album they released recently and it doesn't even sound like the same player.

The usually tasty chord vamping was terrible and off key. My wife said after the fact that she just thought he was being extra jazzy by playing out of tune most of the show. When he came out, he was yawning and his playing reflected it. I was literally in the front row directly in front of him and after his big intro solo in the encore he turned around and looked at Jorgen (the bass player) and said "that was bad" and Jorgen just shrugged it off and said "no it wasn't". He even botched most of the song Scomule.

If his playing tonight was anything like the rest of the tour I can now understand why it's not a full instrumental show. It's really too bad because I know how bad ass he can be when he's on his game. I hate to even say this stuff, but I just can't pretend that he played well just because I really like him.

11. morlll

morlll Member

Tough about Scofield.

Glad Mule was good.

12. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Scofield is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, guitar player of all time. I've seen him a few dozen times and he was basically perfect every time. However, in the clips I've heard from shows in the past 2 years, it really sounds like he might be slipping a bit. I'm sure he's still just as capable of mind wrenching guitar work as he ever was, but it seems like he's no longer fully inspired 100% of the time.

I believe there was significant tragedy in his personal life recently that would be enough for anybody to wonder what the point is anymore.

13. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

The tragedy theory would make sense. It really killed me to give a bad review. I wanted to be blown away so bad and I have a ton of respect for him.

14. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've long thought he was an odd fit with Mule and Haynes... I wondered if there was a pending health issue, combined with a long time friend/mentor-ish relationship with Warren that brought on this pairing. But I'm just speculating. I had a similar thought watching the David Alvin tour with his brother (what a voice) along for the ride. It seems like it would it serve to broaden the typical Mule fan's musical perspective.

Fwiw, he was really good in Denver, though somewhat of a contrast to the rest of what Mule serves up.

15. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The album is great but of course the actual recording is 15 y.o. I saw sco with the trio before Christmas and his technique is slipping. He may be my favourite player and he still made remarkably beautiful music that nightbut in terms of sheer facility he isn't the firebreather i first saw in 91. Dunno if that is his personal life or simply old age

16. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

The butthurt is strong with this one.

17. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Thanks for taking the time to review. That's too bad. I can tell you the live recording of him with Medeski, Martin and Wood from last year's Juice tour on youtube features great playing.

Sounds like a bad night, but I certainly wouldn't put JS to bed just yet. Bucky Pizzarelli and Jim Hall were still very good into their 80s.

18. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

My favorite as well, tough to hear these things...

I assume you're referring to Evan's passing? Very tragic, but he's been touring incessantly ever since (he is a road dog!), so I hope there's still some inspiration left in the tank.

I checked a little of ScoMule out, need to get back to it. What I listened to didn't blow me away, but it was fine for what I expected it to be. Isn't there a funny anecdote that many years ago Warren asked to sit-in with Sco's band, and Sco not knowing who he was, told him no way... lol