1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Scoop on the Creamy Dreamer???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TelecasterBlues, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TelecasterBlues

TelecasterBlues Member

I know the story of how it came to be and whatnot, but what does it sounds like compared to a normal muff? How would it compare to something like a Mayo?

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

For the most part the creamy dreamer is very overrated. I bought it thinking it was gonna solve my want for that smashing pumpkins "wall of fuzz sound" & it Didn't come close.

Mine seemed to have less fuzz/gain then a stock russian muff. And even less tone control.

At one point right before I decided to sell it off, I compared it to a Green muff, black muff, usa muff into a Jcm800 with a strat.

It had a similar sound but it wasnt a Major improvement over a stock muff. The pcb was gooped over so theres no way of telling if the rumor of "it was nothing more then a re-box russian muff with some sort of component mod" could be true.

Aesthetically its better looking then most of the muffs
    *if your a pumpkins fan*. True bypass, smaller chassis. Other then novelty, Your better off taking the time to locate a Mayo, Mayonaise :)

My .02 :)

3. john b

john b Member

4. AL30

AL30 Member

The Creamy Dreamer is a Big Muff with a few (very few) minor tweaks. I can't remember exactly what was done (I'd have to dig through my schematics at home) but I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Not much going on although the info is out there. There is some great Big Muff info here including a mention of the Creamy Dreamer:

http://www.student.ru.nl/r.kerkhof/Taas/Mods/Big Muff.htm

AL

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I disagree Analog. It's the BEST fuzz pedal I've ever used (and I've owned every Skreddy except the PF, which are all amazing fwiw). It nails the MCIS "wall of fuzz" tone and doesn't have that trebley overtone that normal silicon fuzzes and muff types have.

Considering used ones go for about the price of a new mayo (not anymore, mayos have gone up), I think it's the better choice.

Also, as to the "built on BMP architecture", give me a break, so are practically all silicon based muff clones.

6. mike@nortoncable.com

Creamy Dreamer: basically the combination of the Emitter mod and the Resistor mod.

Emitter mod: The 2 gain stages of the Muff are tied to the groud by emitter resistors (R12 & R16). These are 390 ohms in Russian models and 100 ohms in NYC models (exact value can differ between models). Jumpering these resistors (replace resistors with a wire) will increase "gainy-ness" of the unit, enlarging em will reduce the "gainy-ness" of the unit. A potmeter can be used to control this value although I noticed I usually used only one setting.

Resistor mod: Each of the gain stages has a limiting resistor on the start of it (R8 & R13). These are 8.2k (8k2) or 10k in different models. By enlarging these values the unit gets more gainy.

This would debunk the theory of it being an original design I suppose..
    According to this website at least.
    -
    Guitar josh "Also, as to the "built on BMP architecture", give me a break, so are practically all silicon based muff clones".

At one point wasnt the Creamy dreamer being put out as an original design though?

7. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Back in the day I had my Russian Big Muff modified by the Jeff Doucette, the guy who eventually made the Creamy Dreamer. The marketing was that the mod made your Big Muff creamier and gave it more sustain. That is true. It also seemed to add a fair bit of noise. I assume the Creamy Dreamer was just the production model of his earlier mods.

I ended up selling the modded Big Muff, but missed it. I bought an American Big Muff, but it didn't sound right because I had been used to the modded version. I've since done the emitter mod, which has made it more or less sound like my old modified Muff - more sustain, kind of creamier I guess, though that's kind of a BS mojo word and I hate to use it. I've also changed the tone stack to the Triangle variety, and added germanium transistors. So far, it's not much noisier than stock, and it has that basic Creamy Dreamer sound I remember, though I'm sure it's not identical.

I haven't tried the resistor mod mentioned above - maybe I'll do that this weekend. That might take the noise back to Creamy Dreamer levels, but we'll see.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what Jeff tried to do, although I do know that if he did, it would have been silly. I knew Jeff from way back before the CD hit, in fact, I used to have one of the first 10. At the time, he simply told me it was modified BMP.

Believe it or not, Jeff's first foray into modding pedals was trying to make Boss pedals like the SD-1 and DS-1 into fuzz machines. Those attempts were poor at best.

9. Uma Floresta

Well, the "resistor mod" (increasing the two 10k resistors before the two gain stages to 15k) adds some bass and seemingly decreases sustain a little. I wouldn't recommend it on a USA reissue Big Muff, simply because it's bassy enough already.

However, after I did that I went and replaced all 1 uF electrolytic caps with .1 uF ceramic caps, which is what you find in the original Triangle Big muff and in the Creamy Dreamer. This cuts a lot of bass, so the resistor mod somewhat makes up for that, but still keep it from sounding like the modern muffly Muff.

I was going to put some Triangle type transistors on it too, but this USA Muff PCB is crap - I keep getting lifted solder pads, and the board is looking like a big mess now. The board is practically point to point now. I think I'll just build another one from scratch, with practically everything socketed. This PCB won't take much more modding. The only think that I'm going to try now is adding a switchable 10 uF input cap (ala Ram's Head muff), for extra bass when desired.

Oh, and for the tone stack, I'd recommend two 33k resistors - some schematics show the triangle with two 39k resistors, but others with 33k. 33k sounds a bit smoother to me.

10. mike@nortoncable.com

3 months later- I just bought a 2nd Creamy Dreamer on ebay :) this one is different from the other, in fact, I opened the chassis to discover the pcb painted in a cream color instead of Gooped and the best part overall by far is the paints chipping off easily, I'm going to attempt at removing the paint and really seeing what the mods are. Xacto knife time.

Also I noticed a different bypass switch & pots. The pcb is the same size as my black russian muff. but theres different components.

Now I'm just curious.

This Creamy dreamer has that Nasal Big Muff snarl thats present on Siamese dream & pisces escariot, definately a keeper :)

I suppose the ultimate comparison would be
    Green muff, black muff, nyc muff, creamy dreamer & 1 Skreddy mayo or mayonaise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even has the box :D

11. Uma Floresta