• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

scooped rhythm funk tone - what pedal?

tostyj

I use a Morgan SW100R w/ a couple Tylers and an LP. The Morgan has a huge full frequency clean tone. However, I would like to cut the mids and accentuate the treble when I'm comping for funk, reggae, soul, etc. I would like to do this with a pedal (not the amps eq) and I'd like the tone to remain clean; no dirt. So I'm thinking parametric eq, graphic eq, or maybe even a clean treble booster kind of thing. A quality buffered bypass would be a huge plus, since I will be removing the pedal that serves as my buffer chain.

Any suggestions?

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
If you can find one (they've been out of production for many years) a Boss PQ-4 Parametric Equalizer is great for your purpose.

dewey decibel

A treble boost (the classic GE style) is really more of an upper mid boost and not what you want.

I'm surprised you can't get there with your amp. I have a Boss GE-7 which is fine for my needs.

Does that amp have a bright switch? Maybe a little bright switch wired into a stomp box?

tostyj

A treble boost (the classic GE style) is really more of an upper mid boost and not what you want.

I'm surprised you can't get there with your amp. I have a Boss GE-7 which is fine for my needs.

Does that amp have a bright switch? Maybe a little bright switch wired into a stomp box?
Oh, I can definitely get there with my amp by tweaking the eq, but then it would mess up my usual clean and overdriven sounds. I want the option of going to the scooped tone I described, but I don't want to live there.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the ones thus far. I was considering a Fromel Shape, in part because of the buffer or a Mooer Graphic EQ to save some pedalboard real estate.

LanEvo

I remember reading years ago that Nile Rogers used an MXR compressor and Boss 7-band EQ in his live rig. Seems like that would be an easy/cheap starting point.

thinkwriter

I have the Shape EQ. I scoop my amp for rhythm work, and when I need a lead tone, I use the Shape to boost the mids and cut some bass. I guess you could do the opposite: Scoop with the Shape (and add the treble you want).

Side note: I have been considering another pedal to work in conjunction with my Shape -- i.e. Rocket EQ, Middleman Boost, Programmable EQ, or Vyagra Boost. That way I could put it after my dirt pedals and the Shape before everything, where its buffer could work its magic.

Maxon EQ pedal would fit the bill.

If you can find one, I'm pretty sure I used to use a Barber Barb EQ to do exactly what you're describing.

However, my Swiss Army Knife of "eq" pedals is my Xotic RC booster. It does take some tweaking. Works great as a traditional boost or "always on" pedal. But I use it more for sculpting a particular tone needed for a gig...or to even things out when switching between humbuckers and singles.

cram

This is the main live setting purpose for EQ. Find one that works for you. For one-off things like this a cheap and simple ge7 works for me.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
The EHX Knockout was made for this (and does a lot of other stuff as well), but it's true bypass. Boss GE-7 sounds like it might do the trick as well, but I didn't really love mine. Either way, EQ is what you need.

JimHalinda

Electro-Harmonix Knockout, lots of YouTube demos, check it out. I have one and think it does what you're looking for.

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member
I remember reading years ago that Nile Rogers used an MXR compressor and Boss 7-band EQ in his live rig. Seems like that would be an easy/cheap starting point.

^Whoop - there it is! If the Moses of Funk uses it, its gotsta work...

mcnabbanov

the elements could probably cop it. it's got a mids switch and a mids knob.

or an mxr eq with the mids cut a bit and maybe slight boost in the upper frequencies

or stick an eq into the fx loop of a Paul C Tim ;)

Trending Topics