Scooped super reverb sound from a 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chrisalecia, Feb 2, 2012.

1. chrisalecia

chrisalecia Member

Every clip I listen to that has "that tone" I'm after ends up being a Stratocaster into a Fender Blackface Super Reverb. I love that scooped midrange tone that it produces for blues improvisation. But a super is wwaayyy to big for home use or a small blues jam session.

So the question is - Is it possible to get that tone from a 1x12 type combo?

2. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    You have great tone ears !
    Closest is old Vibrolux, tho 2-10". Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe may work.
    EV speakers can help, so can vintage voiced low-gain pickups.
    The BEST pedal for this tone is (IMHO) is Keeley modded Blues Driver.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

wouldn't a Deluxe Reverb do that pretty well?

4. AkrW

AkrW Member

:agree Deluxe Reverb!

5. chrisalecia

chrisalecia Member

DR does it pretty well though I haven't played a non-reissue DR. I did have the opportunity to plug into a silverface SR. Put it on 5, strummed a few chords/notes and said s*#t! - that's it! Must be the 6L6's and/or speaker configuration. Seems size does matter!

So I guess I answered my own question......:bonk

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

i think Allen offers some BF circuit amps that have the option to use a few different power tubes. i'll bet anything he has a 1x12 with bigger iron and takes 6L6. get just the right heavey magnet bright speaker and you might be surprised how close you can get.

7. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

Redplate!

There really are quite a few options for what you're talking, but just so you know nothing sounds like a Super Reverb cranked...of course if you can't crank it then what's the point.

8. Greaser

Greaser Member

I think a big part of that sound (for me) is the 4x10 speakers...I play a tweed bassman which doesn't sound completely different when played clean. I think it sounds amazing at low home volumes and takes pedals well too.

I actually think that my bassman with 4x10's sounds a lot better at low volumes than a lower wattage amp through a 1x12 at low volumes. They're both way too loud to turn up at home anyway, and those 4x10's give it a nice full sound that's very 3D and fills the room, even when its not really loud.

I say just get the Super and be done with it!

9. Adam Zaiger

Adam Zaiger Gold Supporting Member

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Agree with Greaser... the four 10's are critical. I've not heard it duplicated with even 2 tens. Can a twelve get close enough to offset the weight? Maybe, but it depends on the 12. Most of the 12's I have won't do it.

11. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I love my early 90's Concert with one 12" speaker. Two 6l6's and about 7-10 preamp tubes. It has a push pull on the clean channel volume knob. It's labelled as cut. I believe it scoops the mids in an amazing way. I have a WGS G12C in mine.

Here is what it looks like.

http://www.adverts.ie/power-amplifiers/fender-concert-112/560350

12. chrisalecia

chrisalecia Member

The fullness of the 4 10's is one thing I forgot to consider....

13. meterman

meterman Member

4x10s running at 2 ohms, nothing else will sound quite like it. Closest would probably be a Vibrolux Reverb but you'd miss some low end and headroom. 1x12s can sound great but not the same...Supers are magic amps! Get a good old one and you won't believe how good they sound...

14. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Member

Kendrick So-lo 7....close your eyes and you are in Super-land...

15. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

Fender hot rod deluxe with modded blues driver or a boss od-3 will get you 97% of the way. Totally under-rated setup that sounds excellent and is cheap too.

16. meterman

meterman Member

Mmm, I agree with most of that but not quite all of it. It's a good setup especially for the money that will work for many people no problem but I put my '71 Super next to my friends Hot Rod Deville that even has the 4x10s and it wasn't even close really. Not that the Hot Rod didn't sound good, it did, especially the cleans. But the old Super Reverb was in a totally different league, just MHO of course.

17. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed, great little amp in my experience.

18. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Tone King Imperial will get you the tone...but will be too loud for home use.

19. telejammer

telejammer Member

I've had many Fender amps in my time and nothing sounds quite like a good SuperReverb. A 2-10 amp won't be the same nor will a 1-12 or 2-12. When you have that special tone in your head only one amp will do, the SuperReverb! IMO the greatest Fender amp ever made.

20. chrisalecia

chrisalecia Member

I think you're right. We (at least me) sometimes get in denial because an older vintage amp isn't readily available or available at a reasonable price or is too big/heavy to lug around. So we will try several "other" viable options only to learn that nothing quite does it like the original.