SCORE!!!! CMATMODS Signa Drive.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CALI68, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

$135!! One-freeken-thirty-five!!!!

I love The Gear Page for many reasons but especially for stuff like this: I would have never known what the hell a Landgraff was, what a Timmy was, what an MJM London Fuzz was and now add to that list not knowing what a CMATMODS Signa Drive was!!! Have you been to a local shop and asked about a Timmy or a Mo'd? They look at you lke you're from Mars...but I digress.

A while back I bought a CMATMODS Brownie and I was knocked off my ass by how it nailed early VH and early AC/DC. (a clip can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfya-cUDAQ ) I was truly impressed and it immediately gave me severe GAS for more of his stuff.

I just got the CMATMODS Signa Drive in the mail today and I am dumfounded by how great it is! It's got a remarkable clean boost, smooth OD and some super nice grind. Based on the prices of other boutique stuff it is wildly underpriced. I don't want to name names but this Guy is every bit as good as some VERY big names I have on my board. In fact it seems to be a bit more versatile than some.

Right out of the shoot I can tell you that this is THE BEST pedal I have ever used AFTER Fuzz! I busted out all my fuzz pedals and this thing tames all of them but NOT in a compressed way. The center position of the three way toggle is very open and it receives the signal and it just pulls all the Fuzz's sh*t together. ...but the tone remains very open where most OD pedals tend to squish the sh*t of of fuzz. This is something I have been looking for for a long long time. Until now I have been using the Klon which does a great job at that but it wasn't *exactly* what I wanted. The Signa Drive is precisely what I wanted.

I have many many OD pedals so this isn't a honeymoon phase type of this thing. I know what I want in an OD and I can tell if I like it within a a couple minutes. This pedal has immediately fell in to my top 5.

I'll eventually do a clip but for now you can check out their site here:
    http://www.cmatmods.com/Portal/

Again, thanks to The Gear Page for affording me the opportunity to discover pedals like this. Makes me wonder what else is out there :)

Any other love for CMATMODS stuff? I'm jones-ing to try the Signa Comp.

-Chris

2. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

Couldn't agree with you more. Chad has some good stuff. The Signa Drive is still my go to pedal.

3. benjammin

benjammin Member

The Deeeelay ended my deeeelay search. It's as good if not better than the Mad Professor DBD for half the price. Chad rules!

4. LLbean

LLbean Member

I've been using it as my main overdrive thing for ~a year now. I like it, it's better than the price would dictate, like lots of great things. For my taste, the middle setting set for a clean boost works well, occasionally down for some medium grit. I rarely find myself using the up position, but then it took me 10 years to warm up to playing dirty at all. Sort of like my old lady.

5. CALI68

CALI68 Member

:roll:roll

6. Pavel

Pavel Member

Have you by any chance tried stacking it with the Brownie?

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The Butah has ended my search for a low gain OD. With the gain up half way it adds a nice smooth chewy overdrive.

Way to go Chad! :dude

8. hottub

hottub Member

Chad builds great pedals. His tubeslammer is also right up there in terms of value and tone. His Deeelay is still among my fav's!

9. gearboy

gearboy Member

If I didn't already have a V2 OCD, I probably would have kept the Signa. I thought the OCD pretty much covered the Signa ground

10. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I did a clip but unfortunately the middle position (clean boost) section distorted my mic a bit but the other positions came out sounding pretty damn good though. At 3:59 the mic on the Camera really started to cooperate.

Anyway, nothing fancy but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjlOFyeXYc

-Chris

11. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Excellent mods - I have his DS1 rectifer mod- totally awesome

12. waters

waters Member

Great service, cool pedals, one of the good guys for sure! I have the delay and a signa drive and both are very usable pedals.

13. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I have Chad's Signa Drive and use it as an excellent stacking solo pedal.
    Screwdriver or Timmy into the Signa yields soaring leads with growl and sustain.

Was so impressed I had him build me a Brownie distortion with the "fr8_trane" mods (lower gain FETs in a couple of spots) in exchange for painting a few boxes for him.

Love the Signa enough that I'm getting a Signa Comp-Drive done in a box I painted & sent him.

Eventually will get a Deeelay too.

Chad knows tone.

14. pappafox

pappafox Member

Excellent lead stacker for sure! I drive mine wth an 8823, it rips it up. And yes, Chad's Deeelay has ended my delay quest.

15. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Man, you Guys are killing me (and my wallet) I gotta try that Deeelay now!

-Chris

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Let me ask you a straight question:

Would you change a DBD for a Deeelay plus a Carbon copy?

17. ManCas

ManCas Member

That's awesome CALI68, Chad builds awesome pedals and has an excellent customer support, it's nice to see that his work is being appreciated.

BTW, I have the Signa-Comp and it is GREAT!. It can be transparent or squishy, serves as a great clean boost and with the 4-knob version you can dial a wide array of tones. Cheers

PS: I need a Deeelay too.

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

by theway Cali, nice !

19. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Just got mine and yes, it very nice right out of the box. Way cool! Anybody know the breakdown of what the toggle does? Also, the down position on the toggle has very low output compared to the others. Is this normal? Thanks -Frank

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  20. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Toggle as I understand it:

Up is standard vintage tube screamer/808 style mode
    Middle is a clean boost type of mode
    Low brings in the diode (I think it's diode) clipping for more dirt and compression

Yes, the low position has the output drop on mine, so I think it's normal.

It's basically a nice handwired, true bypass tube screamer with a Landgraff-like toggle, which is great because I can't afford to drop the cash on a LDO. Plus Chad's really cool, great customer service.