Scored a '67 Trini Lopez Standard!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnnyL, Sep 12, 2006.

1. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Preview Scored a '67 Trini Lopez Standard!

Thanks to brad347, dewman, Dave Orban and others for the feedback. I appreciate your comments that helped me with my reality check about this guitar. I scored a 335 style guitar for the same money I planned on spending for a beat SG Junior! DUH!!!:jo And all the Juniors I checked out in my budget were either broken, refinned, butchered, molested or just not cared for:(

Pros:
    Strong color, nice grain and checking that follows the contours of the arched top. I love looking at this stuff! The finish on the guitar looks great for a 39 year old. No rash or scratches through the finish. It has the original nut, bridge, pickups, knobs with pointers, and trapeze sans the Trini Lopez insert. The neck is in good shape with very little wear through the finish at the G,C,D position. Body and neck binding is intact and the headstock has minor edge wear.

and Cons:
    The cons are all reversible, making me feel even better about this one.

Non original pickguard using original mounting holes. It was added to accomodate the master volume pot now attached to it. So grateful the guitar was not drilled!!! It is a very old modification and a pro job. Grover tuners replaced the original Klusons, an old mod and they work great! No holes that would show once correct replacements are installed. Brass switch tip-Who knows??? Original Case is pretty rough.

Pro/Con? Though non original, it has an added strap button behind the heel. Thats the one I will use since it is already there. The Trini strap buttons don't look very trustworthy at all to me! Thats it-the rest is all good!

Playability:
    The action is low and nearly effortless to play. The neck is narrow at the nut but the radius makes it very comfortable. The BR neck is smooth with wear but no divits. The frets are wide and flat with plenty of play. Bends are easy and sustain is good, even with the trapeze. I haven't had time to hear it through any of my amps though I'm sure the patent sticker pickups will do fine once I let them rip. One of the local guitar dealers asked me to bring it by and let him check it out. He owns a near mint '67 335 and I was glad to have him look at it. He said the neck on the Trini was 'clubbier' than his 335 and really liked how it played. Clubby is good!

Strange how some things wind up in a pawn shop-but I'm glad it did at this point. Oh, It was tagged $1999....I carried it out the door for $1500!:dude

Sorry no pics. I'll try to get some later.

Thanks for the feedback and sharing in my most recent GAS. This is my first guitar purchase in four years. I guess I won't be looking for any beat SGs anytime soon....

Peace,

Johnny

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Nice score. Those were hugely undervalued guitars for years but people are finally catching on to what great deals they are.
    I had a 67 years ago and foolishly sold it for next to nothing.:jo

3. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Thanks J. Sorry to hear about your loss. I am one to hang on to gear. I still have my first, second, third and fourth guitars and other equipment. I'm sure I'll just keep the Trini too!

Take Care,

Johnny

4. brad347

brad347 Member

GOOD WORK my man. Glad I could help persuade you!

You will never regret it. Play it and don't look back. The value will get out of sight on those in the coming years, I assure you, but just don't pay attention or you will start to be too careful with it. NICE find for 1500. ENJOY!!!

when do we get a pic?

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

sound like you got a GREAT deal !

enjoy your new axe ! :dude

[​IMG]

6. Robertito

Robertito Member

Great price for a good condition TL; mine is one of the vibiest guitars I use in the studio. Bridge pickup with a little hair on it sounds better than my Les Paul. Enjoy!

7. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

I can't wait to spend some time with the Trini Standard....

Hey A440: Thanks for posting the pic...That is not my Trini Lopez though. Mine is the standard pictured on the same site. Dave Grohl and Noel Gallagher have been wielding these lately! I don't even know how to post that other pic here.

Robertito and Brad347: Is the action on your Trinis really low. Depressing the strings requires so little touch. I have good playing guitars but none feel like this! My dad would have loved this guitar...!

I was hopeful but didn't think I would score a 60s Gibson Standard 'anything' in good condition for less than 2K.

How do you post a picture?

Peace,

Johnny

8. brad347

brad347 Member

i have no trini! I wish i did. My '335' style is an '84 ES-347

post a picture by surrounding it with "image" tags. The image tag looks like this, but with the periods removed: [.img.] and close it with a closing tag [./img.] To put it another way, put "img" and "/img" inside brackets ([ ]) and you have the tags.

The url for the pic goes in teh middle like so: [.img.]www.url.com/picture.jpg[./img.]

9. brad347

brad347 Member

or to put it another way, like this but in reverse order: [/img] and

10. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try!

Johnny

11. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

A wacky guy I used to play with many years ago had one. He was driving home from a gig one night and his car broke down. He got out and started walking home with his guitar. He went past a house where a party was going on. He didn't know the people but went in to see if he might know somebody, after stashing his guitar in a bush outside. When he left, guess what, no Trini no more! Too bad because it was a good guitar.

12. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Dave Grohl snaps up these whenever he see's them allegedly. Guess you could always sell it to him if you ever get sick of it - he's got the cash :AOK

13. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I used to work for Trini on occasion. I never got to play his guitar really. He only wanted me to tune it and carry picks for him .........

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

didnt catch what color?? the pelham blue is wicked rare and would bring big $$ from Grohl!!

15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like an awesome catch!

16. amc

amc Member

Gibson made less than 2000 Trini Lopez Standards between late 1964
    until early 1971. They are as rare as original '59 and '60 sunburst Les Pauls

I have owned a 1965 Trini Standard for decades. It has great patent #
    pickups and it has the feel and sound that you would expect from a 1965
    Gibson humbucking guitar.

My Trini is NOT for sale. They are worth many times more than you paid
    for yours.

They may just be the most undervalued Gibson guitar in the marketplace.

17. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

The Trini is Cherry in color. It has some nice dark grain patterns too. Got to get a case for it while I refurbish the original.

I'm just glad to have it due to the chance visit I made to the pawn shop that day...They had just put the guitar out....

Thanks for sharing my joy!

Johnny

18. brad347

brad347 Member

SEE, this is what I mean about "don't go looking for gear, gear will find you."

That's like my mantra. I've rarely ever been happy with something I've bought that I went looking specifically for. Like if I say "I want a Les Paul" I never seem to end up with 'the right one.'

but if i'm browsing Craigslist, or in a pawn-shop... and something catches my eye that I didn't even know I was looking for... THAT's always the keeper. Seems to turn out that way without fail, for me anyway :)

19. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Oh how we all wish more gear would 'find' us. I do agree with your reasoning though about right place/right time. In the last few years I have scored an original '65 Ampeg Rocket II for $20.00 and a 1987 JCM800 4210 for $125.00.

Back on topic...I can't wait to hear the Trini through the Ampeg cranked into overdrive this weekend-I plan to play some Rolling Stones tunes in honor of the upcoming concert!:dude
    Peace,

JohnnyL

20. ronin32

ronin32 Member

He loves those.