• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Scoring Picks

JackedEagle

Who here scores their picks for added grip? If so, what's your technique and what do you use to do it with?

Dimebag was the first player I heard of who did this. I think he did kind of an X pattern on his picks. Recently, I saw this Sweetwater video of Scott Ian where he did more of a crosshatch pattern.

At 1:40 in the video.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I tried scoring my picks, and scoring them in various patterns, and found it to be very close to useless. Not perhaps completely an exercise in futility, but close.

That does not mean it won't work better for you, though.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the pick, I use various.

I do use an engraving tool to score certain ones, eg Dunlop 208 style and smaller size. Some types or brands don’t need it IME.

I’d think that this is a real ymmv depending on variables like personal taste, how sweaty your hands get, etc.

Unless it's a textured model I always score my picks. I usually use an Exacto or razor blade and do a wide crosshatch pattern on both sides.
I hold the pick with the rounded side as the plectrum surface (not the point) and many textured picks don't have the texture where I prefer.

Fuzzr

I score mine at Guitar Center or online....

I actually use skateboard tape, a 1/4”x1/2” piece on the pick and it never slips.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
I use Dava Jazz Grips so no need for it. And the Blue Chip I also use once in a while have grip holes.

cap10kirk

I used to do a crosshatch pattern in my picks. It worked well. However, I've quit using picks that require scoring just to hold on to them.

redacted

I used to take a coping saw blade, heat up with a torch, and push the teeth downward. It makes even spaced indentations in the surface. Do not try this with celluloid picks because they’re probably burst into flames.

Tom Kay

I must confess, I'm a pick spinner. My pics of choice are Tri-picks.
Large enough, I could use all three corners.

p.j.

I used to do that all the time. That is how I can tell how old a pick is. If it is scored it is over 10 years old. I stopped doing it just because I ended liking the feel of unscored picks better.

whateverdude

Gold Supporting Member
Never tried that, but my friend and I use to take scissors and make a nice pointed edge on out Dunlop tortex picks, now I don't even bother.

bluesoul

I do it! I use extra heavy run of the mill Fender picks and score them with a razor blade in a crossing pattern...about 50% of the top half. Been doing it for years. it works!

Trending Topics