Scorpions

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hand of Doom, Sep 7, 2014.

1. pluto

pluto Member

Jabs was on fire during the blackout tour and he is definitely underrated, but yeah I identify the scorpions more with uli. My first scorpions album was Tokyo tapes and then Virgin Killer. I also recall having a difficult time finding the taken by force album. Uli had so many great solos especially for that time:we'll burn the sky, catch your train, sails of Charon, all night long, polar nights, etc. I just wished he didn't sing, lol.

sanrico likes this.
  2. Release

Release Member

Great band.

For those that don't know, Uli put out an album called "Scorpions Revisited" a few months back and it's awesome. KILLER playing. All old Scorps songs with a few twists (extended jams etc). WELL worth looking into. I saw him when he toured the album and was blown away. I walked out of there thinking that it was the closest I'd ever come to seeing Hendrix live.

3. blues

blues Supporting Member

I saw them twice. The monsters of Rock tour in 87. The bands were Kingdom Come,Metalica,Doken,and the scorpions went on just before Van Halen. I was about 30 feet away form the stage. They were good.

But I saw them again later that year at a smaller outdoor fair. I was right in the front on the side Jabbs was playing on. They played a long time. It was a good time.They were tight and they may have played the whole Love At First Sting album as well as a lot of the stuff on Blackout.

The next day my ears were still ringing. I went out and bought a new Marshall Half stack. Its was the Jubilee series. :aok

soulohio likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

former Motörhead drummer, Mikkey Dee, is playing for them now:

[​IMG]

5. rich815

rich815 Member

Saw them at 1982 Day on the Green: Scorpions, Foreigner, Loverboy, Iron Maiden. The sound quality sucked at those huge stadium outdoor venues. But I had a good time.

6. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Even their pop stuff is good. High quality rock.

6Tones likes this.
  7. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Who won the day?

8. rich815

rich815 Member

I was very drunk but I believe Scorpions, maybe Foreigner. Don't even remember Maiden....

9. ibis

ibis Member

My first big gig was the Animal Magnetism tour.
    I was blown away. Matthias Jabs is still my hero!

BADHAK likes this.
  10. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

Love the Scorpions. Saw them at the Oakland Coliseum back in 1985. Day on the Green---(Victory, Rising Force, Metallica, Y & T, Ratt, Scorpions)

Hammered likes this.
  11. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

There's a reason their post '95 output's ignored. Every album they've put out since Love at First Sting has had 2, maybe 3 decent songs with the rest being filler dreck.

BADHAK and monwobobbo like this.
  12. soulohio

soulohio Member

I am not sure there is some larger business decision
    or environment behind
    the Scorpions losing prominence
    in the USA
    They never went away in the rest of the world
    i was in thailand and saw their orchestra music special
    and thought
    wow, these guys are still around?
    they were still big in europe
    and other parts of the globe

13. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

First concert I saw was Scorpions on the Blackout tour in Greensboro, NC. Was just learning guitar, completely blew me away. I agree with many of the others that the Uli stuff is the best. Sails of Charon being my favorite.

14. Brooks

Brooks Member

TOKYO TAPES is my jam!!!

Zezozose likes this.
  15. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

Saw them last year (or was it '15?) at the Grand Ol' Opry. Yep, I said Grand Ol' Opry House in Nashvegas. Queensryche opened. Cool to see a rock show in that venue-it sounded pretty danged good! Scorps killed!

16. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

Scorpions are a tough band for me. I really love there old stuff (uli roth era and early jabs). IN TRANCE is one of my all time fav albums. up through Blackout great band. Love At 1st Sting album was a big let down. sure Rock You Like A Hurricane is one of their best tunes but the rest of the album well not so much. after that they just got real commercial sounding and while better than much of the hair metal stuff not even close to what they were. the 70s stuff was really original sounding by the mid 80s they sounded like everyone else which was a drag. have their recent Raised On Rock cd in the car now it's ok but for a supposed last hurrah album kinda disappointing on the whole. as someone else mentioned they usually managed 2-3 good songs on later albums but that just annoyed me as it said they could still be great but didn't put in the effort.

BADHAK likes this.
  17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I only got the two albums after Love At First Sting after being a big fan of the Jabs era Scorps, and I totally agree. Sounded to me like they were trying to win The Eurovision Song Contest rather than put out killer hard rock/ metal albums.

18. msteeln

msteeln Member

the Schenker brothers, Matthias, and Uli perform a monster guitar army show together

monwobobbo likes this.
  19. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

On topic, I think, when I first heard Scorpions and UFO, it was 1977 and a friend of mine had a whole bunch of killer Rock records that I'd never heard of. The first time I heard Michael Schenker, it was Lovedrive. I was so knocked out by the whole band, but Schenker seared his imprint on my skull. But this kid had Lonesome Crow and all that stuff, too. Still my favorite rock player.

BADHAK likes this.
  20. Rikster

Rikster Member

I saw them as well in 1988. MONSTERS OF ROCK at the Meadowlands in NJ. Scorpions were the co-headliner at the time. They were on just before Van Halen and they really put on a great show both musically as well a their stage presence. Had never seen them live and I thought that they gave Van Halen a run for their money. You could see what a great time they were having and it transferred over to the audience. I think they did a 60 min set and I could've watched another 60 min if they were allowed to. They were that good !!! There was a long wait between their set and when VH came on and I remember people getting annoyed and started throwing food down from the upper tiers. I was just under the second tier and didn't get pelted but I remember it looking like it was raining food.
    Really a great show and really made me appreciate the Scorpions all that much more.

Cheers,

Rich:cool:

soulohio likes this.