• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Scorsese to make a movie about the Dead

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Looking forward to the on-set photos of Hill wearing a green condom over his right middle finger...

dumdums

A New Yorker making a filim about a iconic San Franciscan is head scratching . David Lynch would be a better choice
Can't get into Lynch. I find his films narratively confused. That being said, Scorsese hasn't made an awesome movie in a while. "The Irishman" looked like something Zemeckis would make with mo-cap. Very strange and creepy looking film. When you have to de-age Joe Pesci 20 years to make him look 75, you should have made your movie earlier.

Hill is surprisingly good on camera though. Not a fan of the dead, but will probably be a good film.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
26 years after Jerry's death, people remain fascinated with and deeply interested in the Grateful Dead both musically and culturally - as should we all!

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of what I think about Scorsese’s work generally, he’s had an undeniably long, creative relationship with rock music. Both in terms of song placement in his narrative filmmaking, to producing actual music documentaries. While popular music and culture were often creatively leveraged by a number of the New Hollywood era directors, Scorsese’s relationship with music strikes me as distinctly personal, and as such, an almost defining attribute of his filmmaking. The story of the Dead could certainly be in worse hands.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Regardless of what I think about Scorsese’s work generally, he’s had an undeniably long, creative relationship with rock music. Both in terms of song placement in his narrative filmmaking, to producing actual music documentaries. While popular music and culture were often creatively leveraged by a number of the New Hollywood era directors, Scorsese’s relationship with music strikes me as distinctly personal, and as such, an almost defining attribute of his filmmaking. The story of the Dead could certainly be in worse hands.

Well put.

Suave Eddie

This is my concern. Why doesn't he do a documentary instead of a biopic involving people that are still alive, creating scenes, dialog and events that are pure fiction?

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member
I trust him because he did Long Strange Trip after all. But rockstar biopics are really hard to pull off as is and Jerry was the antithesis of a rockstar, in a way.

My expectation level is "please, only be half as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody".

A-Bone

This is my concern. Why doesn't he do a documentary instead of a biopic involving people that are still alive, creating scenes, dialog and events that are pure fiction?

Wasn't Scorsese involved in the production of Long Strange Trip already?

A-Bone

he did Long Strange Trip after all

What are you talking about?
I'm unaware of his involvement with this.

I wouldn't frame it as Scorsese "did it," but he was one of the executive producers.

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member
he did Long Strange Trip after all

What are you talking about?
I'm unaware of his involvement with this.

Wikipedia: Long Strange Trip was directed by Amir Bar-Lev, and has a running time of almost four hours.[7][8] Martin Scorsese was one of the executive producers. Justin Kreutzmann, the son of Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann, was one of the producers.

I thought it was all Scorsese though. My bad.

Suave Eddie

Wasn't Scorsese involved in the production of Long Strange Trip already?
I wouldn't frame it as Scorsese "did it," but he was one of the executive producers.
Wikipedia: Long Strange Trip was directed by Amir Bar-Lev, and has a running time of almost four hours.[7][8] Martin Scorsese was one of the executive producers. Justin Kreutzmann, the son of Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann, was one of the producers.

I thought it was all Scorsese though. My bad.

Ok on further inspection I do see his name on that huge list of producers. I wonder how much involvement he actually had. I never knew he was involved at all.

And if so, why does he think a biopic will add anything productive?

A-Bone

Ok on further inspection I do see his name on that huge list of producers. I wonder how much involvement he actually had. I never knew he was involved at all.

Given he has executive producer credits in all of these films released in 2017, (not to include what he was attached with in 2016, including Silence) I'd say not a ton:
To answer your last question, a biopic is fundamentally distinct from a documentary. Neither can take the place of the other.

Suave Eddie

Given he has executive producer credits in all of these films released in 2017, (not to include what he was attached with in 2016, including Silence) I'd say not a ton:
To answer your last question, a biopic is fundamentally distinct from a documentary. Neither can take the place of the other.
I'll quit whining about my general hatred for biopics in general since everybody seems to enjoy them so much. I just find them to be lame and stupid for the most part, especially if they involve people still living.

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member

I don't think he thinks it will add something productive as much as Apple thinks it will make money.

I'll quit whining about my general hatred for biopics in general since everybody seems to enjoy them so much. I just find them to be lame and stupid for the most part, especially if they involve people still living.

I hate them too, Wasn't too pleased to read about this. Rocketman was the tipping point; I decided that the format just ain't no good.

A-Bone

Biopics are usually pretty dreadful. You aren't wrong. That's definitely one of the genres where the slant towards dross instead of gold is greatest.

Suave Eddie

Biopics are usually pretty dreadful. You aren't wrong. That's definitely one of the genres where the slant towards dross instead of gold is greatest.
I believe it reveals a certain level of laziness in Hollywood for the last several years in addition to the proliferation of remakes.
I'm sure you can come up with good examples but I have a hard time finding a remake better than the original.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom