• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Scorsese to make a movie about the Dead

Suave Eddie

Biopics are usually pretty dreadful. You aren't wrong. That's definitely one of the genres where the slant towards dross instead of gold is greatest.
I always try to put myself in the position of a public figure and how I would feel about a fictionalized depiction of my life, especially if I were still living.

Albion9

Jerry is going to be a difficult character to portray/capture. He had that mischievous, intellectual je ne sais quoi about him.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I believe it reveals a certain level of laziness in Hollywood for the last several years in addition to the proliferation of remakes.
I'm sure you can come up with good examples but I have a hard time finding a remake better than the original.
I don't think it's laziness, so much as risk aversion. The remakes, reboots, re-adaptations and all are a result of the financialization of Hollywood (used as a broad stand-in for the moving image media industries in the US). They're all about leveraging existing intellectual property to extract every last plug nickel from it until it's spent. Things that are already something are perceived as less of a risk than wholly original properties.

In terms of biopics, I tend to think the decision makers think there's a built-in audience for them based on people who are interested or fans of their subjects. Like cover songs as singles, this reflects another way for studios to be more risk averse.

Suave Eddie

I don't think it's laziness, so much as risk aversion. The remakes, reboots, re-adaptations and all are a result of the financialization of Hollywood (used as a broad stand-in for the moving image media industries in the US). They're all about leveraging existing intellectual property to extract every last plug nickel from it until it's spent. Things that are already something are perceived as less of a risk than wholly original properties.

In terms of biopics, I tend to think the decision makers think there's a built-in audience for them based on people who are interested or fans of their subjects. Like cover songs as singles, this reflects another way for studios to be more risk averse.
Laziness/Risk aversion. Potatoes/potahtoes.

A-Bone

Laziness/Risk aversion. Potatoes/potahtoes.
They're fundamentally different motivations. The industry folks work just as hard on this material as they would on original stuff (including both production and other studio personnel, distributors, etc.), so it isn't laziness. They're just desperate to only put their money in sure things because they are small cogs in large corporate entities beholden quarterly to their shareholders. Over time, there's become less and less tolerance for misses.

Suave Eddie

They're fundamentally different motivations. The industry folks work just as hard on this material as they would on original stuff (including both production and other studio personnel, distributors, etc.), so it isn't laziness. They're just desperate to only put their money in sure things because they are small cogs in large corporate entities beholden quarterly to their shareholders. Over time, there's become less and less tolerance for misses.
All this talk makes me want to watch The Player again. All the behind the scenes sausage making of Hollywood.

Suave Eddie

Given he has executive producer credits in all of these films released in 2017, (not to include what he was attached with in 2016, including Silence) I'd say not a ton:
To answer your last question, a biopic is fundamentally distinct from a documentary. Neither can take the place of the other.
"To answer your last question, a biopic is fundamentally distinct from a documentary. Neither can take the place of the other."

That's one of my issues. I think too many people watch these and come away thinking they are like documentaries and not fictionalized accounts. I will admit also that not all documentaries are equal as some may have agendas to promote.

A-Bone

All this talk makes me want to watch The Player again. All the behind the scenes sausage making of Hollywood.
Traffic was a bitch.

The depressing thing is that the systems has gotten even more risk averse, committee-based, warped and calcified over the last couple of decades.

Even though this is itself somewhat dated, there's an HBO documentary from almost a decade ago called Seduced and Abandoned that gives a sense of the trajectory.

Suave Eddie

Traffic was a bitch.

The depressing thing is that the systems has gotten even more risk averse, committee-based, warped and calcified over the last couple of decades.

Even though this is itself somewhat dated, there's an HBO documentary from almost a decade ago called Seduced and Abandoned that gives a sense of the trajectory.
Thanks, I'll try to locate that one.

26 years after Jerry's death, people remain fascinated with and deeply interested in the Grateful Dead both musically and culturally - as should we all!
Not a fan . I gave em a shot in the 70's but I still think yeah he's a icon for San Francisco and worthy of a in depth look . My personal experience with New Yorkers on SF though makes me think he , Scorsese , is wrong for it . Sure he waa at Winterland for the Band but i wasn't hugly impressed with the Last waltz . I heard Garcias favorite movie was the Saragossa Manuscript . A story with in a story with in a story etc etc . Make it like that maybe ? Terrapin Station the song never returned to the beginning so a movie like that would suit the music ?

sixty2strat

I'll quit whining about my general hatred for biopics in general since everybody seems to enjoy them so much. I just find them to be lame and stupid for the most part, especially if they involve people still living.
I don't, enjoy them , but they can be entertaining. I just watched the Aretha bio pic and liked as I knew very little about her background. So as a person who likes her music but knows little about her it was good . I knew her father was well konown had no idea how big a name he was, and how connected to African American cultural/ pollical giants he was. But if it is say Hendrix, make it a Doc as I know too much to even suspend knowledge to be entertained. I saw Cadillac Records and while showing me Es335 at a 1954 session told me a lot it still was a "good story". But I agree most are really formulaic and really seem to have not grown any more insightful then say a 1930's Bio pic, even if more salacious.

Suave Eddie

I don't, enjoy them , but they can be entertaining. I just watched the Aretha bio pic and liked as I knew very little about her background. So as a person who likes her music but knows little about her it was good . I knew her father was well konown had no idea how big a name he was, and how connected to African American cultural/ pollical giants he was. But if it is say Hendrix, make it a Doc as I know too much to even suspend knowledge to be entertained. I saw Cadillac Records and while showing me Es335 at a 1954 session told me a lot it still was a "good story". But I agree most are really formulaic and really seem to have not grown any more insightful then say a 1930's Bio pic, even if more salacious.
I always find myself researching after watching them to try to find out how factual they are.

A-Bone

Have you seen The Irishman? Goodfellas it ain't.
I have. It felt to me like the older Scorsese's answer to his younger self's film. I'm not convinced it reflects diminution in his filmmaking abilities.

flare4roach

I have. It felt to me like the older Scorsese's answer to his younger self's film. I'm not convinced it reflects diminution in his filmmaking abilities.
I'm not sure what you mean about older answer to his younger self's film but that's OK...cheers!

A-Bone

I'm not sure what you mean about older answer to his younger self's film but that's OK...cheers!
From the very first scene, The Irishman establishes a conscious, self-reflexive relationship to the earlier Goodfellas.There's a long tracking shot set to early rock and roll, but, in place of the romance and danger intimated in the celebrated tracking shot following Henry and his paramour through the backdoor and the kitchen of the Copacabana and into a special table, in the Irishman the shot tracks through a nursing home.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom