Scott French Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dotlikeimpact, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Hello, all.
    I've been talking to Scott French about building a guitar for me. He's a really nice guy and clearly a talented luthier, so I'm really coming close to putting the deposit down, and I wanted a little more outside info on his stuff. I figured if anybody out there would have had experiences with his guitars, it would be someone on TGP. So, spill the beans, anyone who's worked with him or tried out his instruments. I'm looking for details both about the workmanship/ergonomics/sound, as well as things like timeliness/being kept in the loop, etc.

2. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Scott is building me a custom instrument - I've never laid hands on his guitars so this is a leap of faith. I can only say that he is one of THE most professional luthiers that I have dealt with. Through a series of detailed e-mails over a period of days, he came up with the design for the project - it's going to be pretty unique and amazing!

Take the plunge!

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I am the proud owner of this one:

[​IMG]

While this guitar is certainly not to everyone's taste, I can find no flaws in its construction. The finish and fretwork are impeccable, and the guitar sounds fantastic.

If you like the looks of any of his guitar models, I say go for it.

4. dotlikeimpact

Chrome, that's a sweet guitar. How does it play? Sound? Was Scott more or less on time and keep you updated while it was built? Any reservations about the whole thing?

5. Chrome Dinette

It plays and sounds great, lots of sustain. The fretwork and action are great. The neck joint may seem odd at first glance, but it is really well done.

Frequency response is very even. Despite having a 25.5" scale and being made of alder, the guitar is not too bright or harsh. I think the extended upper cutaway must help the bass response.

Scott kept in touch while it was built and sent photos as the build progressed. It did take a little longer than I had first expected, but he had to move his shop and build a new spray booth after he had started on mine.

I really have no complaints.

6. dotlikeimpact

7. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Dot -

at the end of the day it IS a matter of faith.
    FWIW I too have considered getting one of his guitars... consider that I live like 5000? miles away.

You like the guy? You like his design? Can you afford it? Do you know what you want (exactly)?? - Then go for it.
    I really can't suggest anything else.

Good luck in your quest,

JJ

8. Chrome Dinette

9. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Nice video, Chrome Dinette. I wish that my computer had better speakers. I was wondering if you could comment on the upper bout of your guitar and how far up it extends on the neck. The instrument that Scott is building for me will have a similar bout that extends up, but with a high cutaway. Do you think it improves the sustain of the guitar, and does it impend your playing higher up on the neck?

thanks.

10. Chrome Dinette

My guitar has a bout that extends up to the 12th fret. I think the one in the video is the same(that is Spencer Seim of HElla).

It is carved out in the back far enough to get the thumb under there for playing up high on the neck. In fact, the neck remains about the same thickness from the 12th to about the 23rd fret.

11. Chrome Dinette

This guitar seems to have a ton of sustain, I think I can chalk some of that up to the extended upper bout.

12. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I play in a band called Minibosses, our other guitarist has a Scott French SF-3 model. It's simply badass. It weighs in the four to five pound range, sustains like crazy and has the fattest, hugest tone of any guitar I think I've ever heard.

[​IMG]