Scott Lentz

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tbar, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tbar

tbar Member

I was in the San Diego area on business last week
    so i dropped off my Lentz strat and left it with him for a tune up.
    Just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say what a great guy ,
    i've spoken with him over the phone several times over the years and he's always been a great source of info. for me about guitars, his as well as the other big manufactures.
    i was in a hurry so i didn't have alot of time to spend there, i wish i would of had all day.
    if your a Lentz fan and you get the chance, i recommend stopping by and meeting him and checking out the shop
    i,m sure there are other great guitar builders, that people deal with on this site
    but i'm definitely a proud owner of an original Strat and Tele made by Scott
    and ill never sell either one.

Just MTC

2. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

Couldn't have said it better. I just wanted to add that Scott Jr. and Ian are great guys as well, I have been very fortunate to have them answer some of my questions in person. Scott loves to talk guitars that's what I really like about him. He's not all, "I'm busy so don't bother me" (even though he probably is) and the fact that I only live about 30 minutes away is a major bonus!

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I'd like to meet him in person. We've had some great phone conversations! He's a hoot!

4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Good for you!

Good for you that you are supporting the efforts of a fine builder that you have had a real-life great experience with.

Your's is the sort of attitude that will permit all of the truly experienced and talented builders to stay in the game.

And if Scott should read this (and Ian) please give me a call, as I would like to meet you.

5. Zane

Zane Member

Yep Scott's a great guy I've talked on the phone with him several times... I met & spent most of the day with him & Ian a couple years ago at the Arlington Guitar Show...

6. brookshubbert

brookshubbert Member

I have to say Scott has become a friend in short order, he not only follows up with calls but is genuinely concerned about people's lives. I own three awesome guitars he built (one strat and two teles plus a strat neck built with the old style original fender headstocks) I would never sell anything he builds.
    Ian also is a great guy willing to go out of his way to impart knowledge and assistance. The world needs more folks like Scott, keep up the great work my friend.
    Brooks Hubbert aka DADDY MAN

7. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Yup, Scott is alot of fun to talk to on the phone! I first talked to him about buying a Strat neck for my project, & eventually purchased a doublebound 3-TSB "T" style guitar that's stupid light, resonant, & beautiful to look at... Rings like a bell!

While I've never talked to Ian Anderson on the phone, I have had extensive email exchanges with him, & bought some very nice wood from him for 2 of my other projects. He's helped me achieve some very lofty goals with my partscasters!

Both Scott & Ian are top shelf, & they have a huge amount of knowledge regarding how different wood affects tone in the real world, & they know how to pick the good stuff. More than just wood experts, their products speak for themselves.

8. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I bought a used Lentz T and sent it to Scott to be updated (new volume/tone controls and changed neck from RW to maple). He was such a pleasure to deal with, and his guitars are so good, that I asked him to make me a custom T, perfect goldtop finish, bound body, veneered mahogany back, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, using vintage P90s (before he was making his own) I got from a 1950's Les Paul = Fantastic guitar! He's honest, highly skilled, and completely committed to making great instruments to be played and enjoyed.