Scott P's magic neck de-sticky paper?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cb, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Cb

Cb Member

I recall a post in which Scott detailed his technique for buffing a high-gloss neck finish using Stew-Mac abrasive cloths...can anyone point me to that thread?

tia,

Cb :hiP

2. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I don't have the thread handy but the stuff is called micromesh.

-e.

3. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

If he used that stuff on Thorn #47 I want some for all my guitars. The neck on that thing is so silky smooth your hands glide on it. Well, probably if you got talent but it really feels smooth to me :JAM

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Scot'll have to say one way or the other, but Ron does do an amazingly killer satin finish on a neck if you request it.

-e.

5. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

It's micromesh sir! If you are interested I bought a box that contained two full sets of it and I only need the one, so if you want it half price let me know as I'm clearing out stuff right now to pay off my Parker! :D

6. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

If no one has taken you up on your offer, I'll take it!

Jamie

P.S. email sent...

7. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I need to talk to Ron then. I WANT #148 to have that finish. It is amazing.

Heck, I jusst want to call and talk in case he is getting closer and needs some input from me (uh oh, now I'll be put in the back of the pack :roll )

8. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

In my experience, the MicroMesh works like a champ on Poly and so-so on Nitro. Not sure why.

This PRS neck feels smooth as silk after the treatment...

[​IMG]

9. Cb

Cb Member

Thanks guys! I'll pass on the offer though, I was telling a buddy about having read about a sticky-neck fix here but had forgotten the details. I sent him a link to Stew-Mac's micromesh page.

Thanks again,

Cb :JAM

10. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Any more info on this? I have always wished my HBI had a smoother neck.

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

12. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

My micro-mesh came yesterday and I did you HBI and my Martin DC-16rgt. I found that it still gets a little tacky when you use all the MM pieces. I stopped about half way the second time I did it and the neck feels great.

I also used it on a spot on the body where my strap lock made a few scratches. With a little water I used all the MM pieces and you cannot tell where the scratches were any more. It is shining like a MOFO.

This stuff is the real deal. My wife wants me to use it on the furniture now.

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Jimmy,

Did you start with the coarsest and only use four pads? What do you mean when you said that you stopped half-way?

stratzrus

14. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Yeah I only used 3 acctually. I just used them till it felt perfect.

The first time I did it I used them all and the shine was great but it was still a little tacky so I didn't use them all the second time around.

Scott - Could you share your technique for rounding the finger board. I rubbed the side of the board but it didn't seem to make a difference. Do you rub from nut to bridge or from bass to treble.

15. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Also is this something that you need to do every once in awhile or is it a one and done type thing.

My Martin had a satin finish on the back of the neck that got glossy from the oils in my hands. The 1500 and 1800 pads made a huge difference on the neck. I'm just wondering if after awhile is it ok to micro-mesh the necks again if the tackiness comes back.

16. somecafone

somecafone Member

I am going to try this. I suffered from a sticky neck all weekend.

In the other thread, someone mentioned Rockler Woodworking stores.
    Much to surprise and delight, there is one here in Bay Area, and the MicroMesh is much cheaper there than StewMac!!!

http://www.rockler.com/retail/retail.cfm

Or you can order online if there isn't a store close by!!!

17. Luke V

Luke V Member

Actually it is much more expensive, especially if you have it shipped. You only get one sheet of each and it is $33. You get twice as much for about $12 more from StewMac.

18. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Thanks to everybody for the micromesh info. I used it on a Steinberger Spirit that I use for a travel guitar. The whole thing's finished in glossy black paint and I was sticking to the neck. I went from 2400 up to 12000 and now it's nice & slick.

19. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Yeah it's great stuff. Every night when I am watching TV and noodling around don't notice the finish on the neck.... and thats a good thing.

My PRS HBI is my dream guitar now. I always wished I could get an unfinished neck for the great feel. Now I have that.

20. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Rockler website says it's $2.79 per sheet. How many sheets do you need to do the job?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6461&SearchHandle=DADBDADDDADADDDGGGDDDADIDEDFGBDHCNDJGBDGDHCNDEDCGGDJCNDJDDDEDJCNDEDIDADADEDDGCDEGDDGDDDGDADADADBDBDADADADFGNGJGDHCGPDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADADJGNGJGDHCGPGNGFHDGIDADADADBDB&filter=micromesh