Scott Walker Hollow Phoenix NEW PICS!!!

joemesser

EDIT: Finished pics on page 4!

Hello good people! My long awaited custom Scott Walker Hollow Phoenix is really coming together! It's headed into the spray booth now. I'm super excited and I want to share the progress with you guys :beer

I know what you guys want so let's get right to it.....PICS!!!
(long winded story to follow :))

Last edited:

joemesser

This guitar is a dream come true for me. It has been in the works in Scott's imagination and shop for several years but the seed first started in my imagination over 20 years ago, when I first saw Phish (dec 92), and first laid eyes on Trey and Mikes' custom languedoc guitars. I was familiar with the unique tones from listening to the tapes but this was my first look at these magical instruments. I was enchanted, to say the least. Now, If you know of Languedoc then you also probably know that there is absolutely nothing like them in the market. I spent the next 2 decades on the lookout, dreaming of the possibilities. Yet, I was never comfortable with the concept of owning an actual Languedoc, myself. Because they are so custom and so iconic to Trey and Phish, I felt weird about the idea of owning one. I wanted something sort of like it but also wanted it to be it's own thing, unique to me and my preferences. In my life I have also been deeply influenced by the Grateful Dead, so this guitar is a bit of a Phish/Grateful Dead/Kimock/Walker mashup in my mind. It has the small, hollow bodied thing going on, 25.5 scale with humbuckers, while also incorporating the active preamp, Jerry style electronics. And with Scott's unique long neck tenon, to which the pickups are affixed, brings a little bit of that neck through/extra sustain type vibe as well.

So I had been playing a Walker Phoenix for a year or so when I realized I had found "my luthier". The Phoenix is just a perfect guitar to me. Tonally, playability, ergonomically, aesthetically....everything. So I started talking with Scott about the possibility of a hollow body project. Because I didn't have anything very specific in mind yet, Scott's responses were like "yeah, cool, we should look into that" but neither of us had any momentum on the thing until it hit me. I'm looking down at the Phoenix on my lap, the perfect guitar, and I'm like woop, dere it is! Right under my nose.... Make a hollow Phoenix!!! Duh....the Phoenix is based off a JAZZ master. So I could have a sibling, almost twin guitar but with the hollow humbucking thing going on. Woo Hoo, I immediately contacted Scott and he was instantly excited....it was time.

Last edited:

joemesser

Specs:
All Koa body
Koa neck
Full neck and body binding
Humbuckers with split/series/parallel Master polarity switch Active/passive switch
25.5" scale
One piece saddle/Ebony bridge/custom SW tailpiece
Slotted headstock

Last edited:

joemesser

Major thanks to Kimock who designed the Phoenix with Scott!!! Without his input this wouldn't exist.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
Killer concept, and awesome execution. Also, I first saw Phish play in Dec. 1992. :aok

edited to ask: are the f-holes' binding cut from a solid block? I can't see any cuts...

joemesser

Also, huge thank yous and props to Scott's friends, Matt Artinger and Kevin Chubbuck, who both helped guide Scott in some matters, this being Scott's first hollow electric.

Last edited:

joemesser

Killer concept, and awesome execution. Also, I first saw Phish play in Dec. 1992. :aok edited to ask: are the f-holes' binding cut from a solid block? I can't see any cuts...
Wow! What show? Mine was in Kalamazoo MI, and the next night in Ann Arbor Don't know about the binding being cut from single block. Scott has *mad skills*

Last edited:

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
Mississippi Nights in St. Louis (12/04/92, i think?)

Last edited:

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Platinum Supporting Member
Oh, man, joemesser. What a dream guitar! I'm stoked for you. Would love to get my paws on that sometime! I've been thinking for a while about having Matt & Scott collaborate on a guitar, and this one is giving me ideas... :idea

joemesser

Oh, man, joemesser. What a dream guitar! I'm stoked for you. Would love to get my paws on that sometime! I've been thinking for a while about having Matt & Scott collaborate on a guitar, and this one is giving me ideas... :idea
Thank you kingsleyd!!! let me know when you're in the Seattle area. Matt and Scott collaboration would certainly be interesting!....always looking forward to seeing the latest kustom kingsley kreation!

joemesser

There are some other design elements I realized are worth mentioning. Because this guitar is *active* (or passive if you want) and hollow AND meant to be played loud with some gain, Scott made some suggestions to help control feedback. One, to leave some extra mass (thickness) in the top, near the neck. This would help tame the top vibrations a little bit. This also meant that the top would not need bracing. It is carved out like a bowl. And two, build a little box for the pickups to live in. Both of these elements should help the feedback be a little more controllable, especially in active mode, which is where I hang 95% of the time.

Last edited:

EunosFD

Oooh dig everything about it. I really like Scott's sense of aesthetics. Def can't wait to see it finished.

Trending Topics