Scotty McCreery Owes $239,329 to Former Manager

Ladera

I don't know who this Scotty guy is, but I do know that 15% sometimes 20% is a standard management fee. In most cases the manager takes care of just about everything for their artist. If not everything. Depending on the management it's a small price to pay. Management can make or break an artist.
Just ask Journey or many other bands/artists.
This is Scotty McCreery and his girlfriend.

This is his old A-hole manager.

McShred

What kind of accent do people from Raleigh, North Carolina have?
It's the drawl when he sings, not his speaking voice. Its the same overly hillbilly effect put on by 95% of country artists because that's what they have to do to appear authentic. Same thing with the 10 gallon hat and the rest of the 'uniform'... Don't fool yourself, its the modern day equivalent to spandex and aqua net.

I mean kill me... Keith Urban is from Australia... yet on his record, he's a pickup driving, Budweiser drinking, good 'ol boy with a drawl. Fake as the day is long, and he's one of the most talented of these modern country d-bags

Ladera

It's the drawl when he sings, not his speaking voice. Its the same overly hillbilly effect put on by 95% of country artists because that's what they have to do to appear authentic. Same thing with the 10 gallon hat and the rest of the 'uniform'... Don't fool yourself, its the modern day equivalent to spandex and aqua net.

I mean kill me... Keith Urban is from Australia... yet on his record, he's a pickup driving, Budweiser drinking, good 'ol boy with a drawl. Fake as the day is long, and he's one of the most talented of these modern country d-bags
Have you ever heard him speak because he sings just like he talks.

Ladera

Here some more I want to add. You brought up Keith Urban and he has a fake accent.

Where does country music come from? It comes from England, Scotland and Ireland. The Australian people have an English accent and the people that created American country music came from those areas of the world when they brought folk music.

McShred

Of course I've heard him speak, doesn't change my opinion of his vocal schtick or the lack of substantive underlying talent.

loudboy

Here some more I want to add. You brought up Keith Urban and he has a fake accent.

Where does country music come from? It comes from England, Scotland and Ireland. The Australian people have an English accent and the people that created American country music came from those areas of the world when they brought folk music.
But, you're not going to hear Richard Thompson or the Chieftains singing like an Alabama good 'ol boy...

McShred

Country music is an American art form, it doesn't come from the aforementioned countries, although many of our ancestors came from there and you could make the case that some of their traditional folk music formed the very early underpinnings of what would become country music. Country music developed independently of Europe and Australia

I know Wiki isn't infallible, but check out the timeline for what people typically think of as "country' music. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music

Ladera

Country music is an American art form, it doesn't come from the aforementioned countries, although many of our ancestors came from there and you could make the case that some of their traditional folk music formed the very early underpinnings of what would become country music. Country music developed independently of Europe and Australia

I know Wiki isn't infallible, but check out the timeline for what people typically think of as "country' music. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music
Oh come'on. Those pub folk tunes came over and they morphed into country music. Most of the people in country music have a UK family tree. Where did the cowboy hat come from? Oh I don't know could it be England or Scotland.

The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin could play really good country music.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
All I know is if Scotty had to pay his manager that much for five months work, he is making HUGE bank!

Boundcustom

An "Artist" who makes 85% of what a professional management team oversees is probably going to see a larger net income than one who makes 97% of what a non pro will bring in. Management teams bring connections, a wealth of experience and respect. They should lengthen a career while ensuring a larger accumulation of wealth for the business er, I mean "Artist" they represent.
I have been on tours with both good and bad management. You can guess at what tours I came home with more Ching in my pocket from. I would happily give 15% to a company that take care of me getting paid, has a room ready for me, finds a way for Joe Camel to give us an extra 5k on off days, brings a legal team out the second someone tries to screw me and bails our drummer out of jail in Dallas on a Tuesday night.

Now the team in the op was trying for twice that. Hmmmpf.

What kind of accent do people from Raleigh, North Carolina have?
I'll field this one....having lived here for almost 15 years now, I can tell you that very few people have a stereotypical southern accent because most of us came from somewhere else. Checking out his bio on wikipedia, he's no more southern than I am which definitely leads me to think it's a put on so he can sound like a good old southern boy. Especially given how exaggerated it is.

The only people I know who have real southern accents have a southern family history that goes back generations, and even then, most of them don't have that much of an accent. But I'll say this, there's something about a nice looking woman with a southern accent. :drool

JamesT

He's a country music singer. He won American Idol and he sells out his shows.
And I think he is one of those singers that sings every song in the same key so after a few songs everyone sounds like the previous one.

Zandalf

I don't remember
But I'll say this, there's something about a nice looking woman with a southern accent. :drool
"And the Southern girls, with the way they talk, they knock me out when I'm down there"... Brian Wilson

Hasn't Sir Mick Jagger been channeling his inner Cracker since 1963?

And while Brian Epstein did squeeze 25% out of The Beatles' gross income, HE DID turn them into the biggest entertainment "product" of the 20th century.... Anyone want to sign up!.... Oh right, he's out of the business...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I'll field this one....having lived here for almost 15 years now, I can tell you that very few people have a stereotypical southern accent because most of us came from somewhere else. Checking out his bio on wikipedia, he's no more southern than I am which definitely leads me to think it's a put on so he can sound like a good old southern boy. Especially given how exaggerated it is.

The only people I know who have real southern accents have a southern family history that goes back generations, and even then, most of them don't have that much of an accent. But I'll say this, there's something about a nice looking woman with a southern accent. :drool
Agreed all around.

IbanezAndy

Urban is from Queensland...and Queenslanders are well known to have a drawl especially compared to us quick-thinkers and quick-talkers from New South Wales. Also the last 20 years spent in the US will also modify his accent to a degree. My children now sound like they were born here...and even my accent has changed. For the kids it took a few months...obviously my accent changes more slowly.

Australian beer consumption per capita is greater than US beer consumption per capita. And we have utes instead of pickups (although the utility of said vehicle is pretty much the same). Look up the Deni Ute Muster for some good examples. Why would singing about those sorts of things make him fake? Perhaps Urban's experiences as a young man in Australia also translate to American country themes (and vice versa)?

As for country music being an American art form...it's not exclusive to the USA. Hell, my home town is the Country Music Capital of Australia.... While Australian Country Music has being influenced by American Country Music it also has many influences from Australian bush balladeers and poets, many of whom were of English/Celtic descent. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_country_music.

Stike

An "Artist" who makes 85% of what a professional management team oversees is probably going to see a larger net income than one who makes 97% of what a non pro will bring in. Management teams bring connections, a wealth of experience and respect. They should lengthen a career while ensuring a larger accumulation of wealth for the business er, I mean "Artist" they represent.
I have been on tours with both good and bad management. You can guess at what tours I came home with more Ching in my pocket from. I would happily give 15% to a company that take care of me getting paid, has a room ready for me, finds a way for Joe Camel to give us an extra 5k on off days, brings a legal team out the second someone tries to screw me and bails our drummer out of jail in Dallas on a Tuesday night.

Now the team in the op was trying for twice that. Hmmmpf.

This is the best explanation to the initial question the OP asked, I hope he reads it.

He did grow up in Garner, definitely more "typical" Southern than Raleigh. I've been down the road since 1975. I don't think I have an accent but evidently non Southerners notice it. :huh:p

Urban is from Queensland...and Queenslanders are well known to have a drawl especially compared to us quick-thinkers and quick-talkers from New South Wales. Also the last 20 years spent in the US will also modify his accent to a degree. My children now sound like they were born here...and even my accent has changed. For the kids it took a few months...obviously my accent changes more slowly.

Australian beer consumption per capita is greater than US beer consumption per capita. And we have utes instead of pickups (although the utility of said vehicle is pretty much the same). Look up the Deni Ute Muster for some good examples. Why would singing about those sorts of things make him fake? Perhaps Urban's experiences as a young man in Australia also translate to American country themes (and vice versa)?

As for country music being an American art form...it's not exclusive to the USA. Hell, my home town is the Country Music Capital of Australia.... While Australian Country Music has being influenced by American Country Music it also has many influences from Australian bush balladeers and poets, many of whom were of English/Celtic descent. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_country_music.
From what I've heard sounds like your Bogans can out redneck our rednecks.

Trending Topics