Scrapping a Hammond-Questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by japhy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. japhy

japhy Member

I just hauled a Hammond organ home . It was given to me as a non working unit . Near as I can tell , the reason it doesn't work is because the generator isn't spinning.
    Are the amps inside useful ? Can they be made into guitar amps ?
    This thing came with 2 el84s (Holland) 3 12ax7s (Holland) 3 12au7s (USA)
    a 5u4gb (USA) a 7247 (Great Brit. ) and a 12bh7a(USA)
    There is one power amp , one tube driven trem unit and what I assume is a tube reverb. It is also has 2 12" speakers that apear to work fine.
    This organ was made in 1965 , the year was born . The more I look at it ,
    the more I want to mess with it . I was going to pull the tubes and the speakers , then take the rest to the landfill , but am now wondering if there is something I could do with it and have some fun .
    Any Ideas ? Thoughts?

The organ is a Hammond L-112 and the speakers have no lables but are marked A024346-0 575508 .

Thanks ,
    Darren

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Pull all those junk tubes and send them to me ASAP as they're no good at all!

:D

3. TungstenAmp

TungstenAmp Gold Supporting Member

> A024346-0 575508

"AO" was Hammond's in-house part number. Everything inside a Hammond organ has one of their part numbers assigned to it.

The speakers are Heppner's from the 8th week of 1965.

Does the generator shaft spin by hand? If so, get some Hammond oil from ebay and let it soak in for a week or three. The L-1xx series of organs have a very usable tone and can be seen in Pink Floyd's Live at Pompei.

4. 57tele

57tele Member

Well, if you send him the tubes, please send me those speakers. I hear they're lousy, too!

5. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

then send me your credit cards.

6. willhutch

willhutch Member

There are guys out there as crazy for hammond organs as most of us are about old Fender amps.

I get chills thinking about a keyboard player ripping up blackface vibrolux reverb for fun/experimentation/whatever, and throwing the unwanted parts in a landfill.

Maybe some consideration is in order. An old hammond is a relic of our musical heritage, man! That organ may have seen some great gigs in its life. Maybe it could do so again?

If you haven't already done so, check in with some Hammond organ enthusiasts. I know a guy in Minneapolis who repairs, restores and plays these things. Maybe he'd have some thoughts. check out www.bborgan.com.

7. brad347

brad347 Member

put me next in line for those Amperex EL-84s!!!

8. japhy

japhy Member

Thats really what I needed to hear . The project has now begun .
    I''ve got some calls out to repairmen , and we'll see if we can't get this baby workin' again .
    I have even put out feelers for an organ teacher .
    Thanks,
    Darren

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Hammond organs are great fun even if your keyboard skills are limited.My guess is the tone wheels need lubrication.There are Hammond organ enthusiast sites out there in the interweb.

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

You can send me the amp. PM/Email me with a price.

11. willhutch

willhutch Member

Cool! Every time I post on TGP, I think I'm illuminating all of cyberspace with my infinite wisdon. Then somebody with some real brains chimes in and I realize how silly I am.

Maybe this time I said something that will actually make the world a better place.

A hammond tone wheel is a magical thing. And being able to play one...now that sounds like fun!

Good luck on the project. Update this thread when you've made some progress.:BEER

12. japhy

japhy Member

Proud to report , The Hammond is up and running. Repairmen were at my home today. They replaced the gen. motor , (completely frozen ) lubed it up , had to work the oil in , spinning the tone wheels by hand.

It also makes me proud that the repair-dudes said that this is the best example of this model that they have run across in the last 20 years . They also said it sounds like new , and everything is as it should be . No adjustments needed . A-1.

Now I must learn to play it.

13. brad347

brad347 Member

sweet! now aren't you glad you didn't scrap it!

14. japhy

japhy Member

Yes ! Very glad . I would have to say , it's the best $350.00 I've spent on "gear" in a long time . I must have messed around with that thing for 2 hrs. this afternoon . Gotta learn how to play it.

15. Mr. dB

Mr. dB Member

I'm glad to see that the organ was repaired. You can look on eBay every day and see bits of Hammonds that have been parted out. The problem is that the cost to fix one frequently exceeds the value of the (working) organ. Only B3s, C3s, and A-100s have retained any resale value today, the rest go for fire sale prices if you can move them at all. So any "lesser" Hammond with problems will eventually end up being parted out rather than repaired. Or just dumped in the landfill. As for non-Hammond organs -Thomas, Conn, Wurlitzer, Baldwin, Estey... - all landfill fodder.

So fixing an old Hammond spinet has to be a labor of love, with little regard to value. And for the most part, almost any tube Hammond with tone wheels is going to get THE Hammond Organ sound, the Great (top) keyboard has the same generators and drawbars as a B3, and the Swell (bottom) has a few less drawbars. The speakers in the console are a limiting factor, someday you'll want to get a proper Leslie cabinet.

But before long you'll be making "what are your favorite drawbar settings?" threads.

16. Big Dan

Big Dan Member

Man, you made the right decission! Now for $350 you have a perfectly functioning Hammond...you can't beat that. Another piece of musicaly history has been saved from the landfill.