scratchy wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earache33, Oct 2, 2006.

1. earache33

earache33 Member

i got a "scratchy" vox 847 about half way through the sweep, i was told to clean the pot, but nobody tells the guy how to do it. i have very limited knowledge of electronics. should i even bother ****in around with this? anyone know how to clean it?

2. drone62

drone62 Active Member

get you some electronic contact cleaner from somewhere like radioshack and spray inside the tone pot(the thing that looks like a big volume knob turned sideways inside the wah)the best you can.work the foot pedal back and forth several times and that should help unless the pot itself has gone bad.you can replace the pot yourself pretty cheap(you can find good ones such as fulltone on ebay for around $25.doing it yourself can be a little tricky so if your not sure ask for help here on the GP or find a tech.good luck

3. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

Look for a little opening on the side of pot, and stick the straw from the can of electronics cleaner in it, and squirt. Then work the pot back and forth.
    DO NOT USE WD-40.
    I've fixed quite a few wahs, and if you need to replace the pot, get one of
    the Fulltone pots available on their site. Much better than the crybaby replacements, IMO.

4. alba44

alba44 Member

Can you buy Fulltone Pots on there website? I thought he stopped selling them NO LONGER AVAILABLE as of 3/31/05, NO EXCEPTIONS NO EMAILS. We need every one due to a high demand for our wah pedals

5. earache33

earache33 Member

saw some of the fulltone pots on ebay. how difficult is this to replace? is there soldering involved?

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yes, soldering.

Looks like kind of a pain if you are not adept at it.

And I certainly am not.

7. Miles

Miles Member

Otherwise known as TV tuner (at radioshack) if I'm not mistaken.

8. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 on the Fulltone pot. I threw one in my 847 (along with the fulltone inductor and bypass switch) and never had trouble again. The pot holds up well and I playout 3-4X a week.

9. Creamy

Creamy Member

As Miles mentioned, the Radio Shack TV Tuner spray works great. Don't be shy about drenching the pot. Spray (with the straw) into pot and work the pedal back and forth. Wait until all excess has evaporated then try the wah. If its still scratchy, spray the pot again. A pot that is only a few years old should still be good.

10. earache33

earache33 Member

anyone know where i can get a new pot installed in the LA area?