Screw Driver = Treble booster > Muff Pi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott1568, May 15, 2008.

1. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I watched a demo of the Skreddy Screw Driver on Guitar Player TV a few months ago. Unfortunately, when I looked for it last night, it wasn't there.

Anyway I was really impressed with the pedal and put it on my list of desireables.

I am finishing up a BYOC Large Beaver and am ordering parts to build a treble booster around a Mullard OC44 the I have. Can it be safe to say that the combination of these pedals are going to bring me into the neighborhood of the Screw Driver? It seems to make sense since the info on this pedal seems to be an elaborate but effective combination Treble booster into fuzz.

thanks

2. geetarman

geetarman Member

Probably not that close because the Screw Driver's fuzz aspect is based on a Fuzzface design which is much different than a Big Muff.

3. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I agree with Geetarman. The Screwdriver is a combination of a mosfet treble boost and a tweaked fuzz face circuit. It's one of the most unique sounding circuits I've heard.

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Exactly. Not a Big Muff at all.
    IMO, the Screw Driver has an amazing blend of lwo-gain, higher-gain, fuzzy, dirty-boosting tones that I haven't found in another pedal.
    Responds to pick attack like no other I've had.

Great offering and the builder is wonderful person to work with.

5. James V

James V Member

The pedal is great. It can do pretty much what you ask of it. It is my favorite OD pedal. That said, it will not do heavy fuzz.
    I would not hesitate in getting another Skreddy pedal (or a Screwdriver if you don't have one). They are a real sleeper on the market. They do not get enough praise. Also, Marc is one of best builders to deal with. I can't say enough.

6. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Thanks to all for the education. I've got a few kits on order including a Fuzz Face, and I am going to build a Treble booster as mentioned above from scratch. The Screw Driver will have to wait as funds dictate. It does seem to be a great pedal.

Maybe after building these, I will start to concentrate on playing again....talk about addicting.