Screwdriver for adjusting Fender vintage style truss rod?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rena Rune, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Seriously having trouble finding one that fits my CP Jag. Just wasted 4 euro today on some angled screwdrivers.

2. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

I know that waste! I have bought right-angled screwdrivers in the past and found they do not work! They are too long usually!
    Subsequently, to do a truss rod tweak, I have always unbolted the neck and lifted it enough to get a flat blade to turn the nut. Then bolted it back again. I know this is boring, but it works.

To make it quicker and easier I capo the strings at the first fret and then they can be slackened without them popping off the tuners. Do watch out for the fit of the pickguard around the neck as it can scrape lacquer if it is very tight. Sometime it is better to undo the pickguard and get it away from the neck before pulling the neck up!

3. Satchmo

Satchmo Member

Try a paint can lid opener from your local hardware store. I've used one on my Tele. Costs a buck or so.

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Yeah, I always capo it.

5. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I'm a fool (and feel free to point that out if you must) but I've never seen the sense in taking off the neck to adjust the truss rod.. I remove the strings (never do intonation or setups with old strings) and then remove the pick guard.. eureka.. access to the truss rod :) clean, restring and adjust to taste.

6. Dale

Dale Member

This is what I do as well.

7. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

That's twice as much work...

8. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  9. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

You don't need a special screwdriver. Go to your local hardware store and find one thats tip is the largest size and still fits the truss rod nut properly. The shaft length is personal preference. A really long one can be awkward to use and a short one may not provide the leverage need to adjust a tight nut. I think mine has about a 6" shaft (that's what she said!)

BTW, I also capo the string at the first fret and tilt the neck by loosening the neck screws.

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Yep, works well.

11. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satchmo [​IMG]
    Try a paint can lid opener from your local hardware store. I've used one on my Tele. Costs a buck or so.

Yep, works well.
    [​IMG]

this again, works perfectly

12. 57paf

57paf Member

This is from Tom Anderson's website (note that his newer models have the bullet style nut at the headstock): http://www.andersonguitars.com/support/neck.cfm
    Need a big standard screwdriver. You need to grind the square edges of the screwdriver blade to keep from scratching your pickguard.