Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Jan 13, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Just ordered a Skreddy screwdriver!!! Cant wait to get it! BTW has anyone A/B'd the screwdriver with the hellbilly? Skreddy's led zepp clips killed me!!! I had to get one!

2. empty71

empty71 Member

Cool!!! I have one on order too. I also have a HellBilly and can't wait to stack both pedals :) I could be wrong but I think the SD has way more gain than the HellBilly. I understand from Marc the SD can drive a clean amp pretty hard and the HellBilly can't really do that but it sounds fantastic gooseing a slightly dirty amp.

I've been gassing for a Mayo as well. So many pedals and so lil' $$$:p

3. trucks

trucks Member

I order one on Tuesday night after deciding to sell my OCD. The clips are amazing as is Marc's track record and reputation. A hybrid fuzz circuit is a great idea!

I would love to hear some Mayo clips. Anybody have any?

4. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

I just got message that mine shipped yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to post some soon.

5. trucks

trucks Member

Thanks! I look forward to it. :AOK

6. empty71

empty71 Member

Hi, any of you guys received your Screwdriver yet? I understand from Marc mine's on the way.

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Hopefully mine will be sent soon. Now is the time to order as the wait is down to 4 weeks instead of 6 now. I should get mine in about 2 weeks hopefully, but I dont mind waiting for awesomeness!!!!

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Remember to send a few clips in when you receive yours. I'd love to hear one again. I tried one a while back and now I'm realising I need one!

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Teddy, what did you think of the pedal when you tried it? Can you compare it to anything? Thanks!

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi Derek,

I tried it in London, Vintage and Rare Guitars with a Les Paul Special DC w/P90's and a Cornford amp set to clean. Although I was on the buy for a fuzz I gave a few OD-type pedals a go too, namely the Screwdriver and the D*A*M Sonic Titan.

I was surprised how similar the pedals were. Very dynamic and amplike. The gain on tap from the drive knob isn't huge, but it has a lot of output so you can drive the front of the amp hard too. It didn't have as much gain as an OCD, but nearly up there.

If I had to pick between those two pedals I tried at the shop, I would probably have taken the Skreddy, but I would have been pleased with both. The pedal is super! I was thinking of replacing my TBIAC6 with it. It does low gain really well...

11. empty71

empty71 Member

Mine arrived this afternoon:dude

This is the most articulate OD/Fuzz I've heard. A buddy happened to drop by with his Reverend Drivetrain and handscript Barber Direct Drive after the pedal was delivered. The ScrewDriver ate them both for lunch. Clean up very well, touch sensitive, organic sounding distortion, adds a singing quality to your tone, is more quiet than the 2 afore-mentioned pedals. The guys who'd heard the pedal this afternoon all commented how amp-like it is. Marc's made a WINNER:BEER Awesome sounding pedal:dude

I'm using an Eastpointe Reverend Avenger and a Tyler Classic, both with Maple boards, into a RMC Picture Wah>>HellBilly>>ScrewDriver into the U.S. channel of a Reverend Kingsnake combo.

Will report more after I've spent more time with the pedal.

[​IMG]

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

empty71, how does the Screwdriver compare to the HellBilly?

13. empty71

empty71 Member

The Screwdriver is very different from the HellBilly. The SD has more gain on tap, is more transparent sounding with some presence added to the tone. The HB in comparison is more Fuzz sounding with more grit to the tone. One of my buds who heard both effects commented that the SD sounds very 3 dimensional like an amp while the HB sounds like a pedal. Both pedals are very touch responsive and cleans up very well.

The SD can get quite close to the HB. It's generally a more sweeter and smoother sounding pedal compared to the HB which is quite a bit more grit or "fuzziness" than the SD at similar gain levels.

I'm presently using the HB as a mid boost into the SD and I'm loving the tones I'm getting from this combo. However, I'm also contemplating selling the HD to fund for a Mayo.

I set both the tone and volume of the HB at 10:30 and gain at 12 o'clock. I set the SD volume at 9 o'clock, gain at 2 o'clock and sharpness just slightly below 9 o'clock. The brilliance trimpot is set at 11 o'clock.

More comments on the Screwdriver.

The SD is one of the most original sounding OD effects I've heard. With the volume set at 12 o'clock and everything else at 0, the pedal pushes my Reverend Kingsnake combo set clean to a very sweet grind!!! I was most impressed. All 3 knobs are very responsive and I've yet to find a un-usable tone!!!

The "sharpness" control really does dial in the amount of bass. When turned all the way down, you get a very smooth and creamy tone with the most gain. As you turn the knob up, the tone gets brighter with less gain.

The "gain" control does only work the gain. There's only a very and I mean very slight volume bump when you crank the gain.

The "brilliance" control accesible through the right side of the pedal was set at about 1 o'clock when I received the pedal. Kudos to Marc for making the trimpot accessible thru the side of the pedal rather than for us to open the cover to tweak the voicing. I tweaked the trimpot to 11 o'clock as I find the Reverend Kingsnake combo fairly bright sounding.

My only gripe about the SD is the noisy footswitch. I've tried cleaning the contact but it's still noisy when you stomp on it. I'm mostly a bedroom wanker so it's not a big issue but gigging musicians may find the footswitch annoying at stage volume. Then again, I may just be the only one experiencing this.

All in all, an awesome pedal and 2 :AOK :AOK

I'm seriously gassing for a Mayo and Top Fuel now:jo

14. trucks

trucks Member

empty71,

Thanks for the review. I'm now even more excited that I have one on order. Yours looks very cool and different from the website. Was it customized?

15. empty71

empty71 Member

Yeah, Marc did a custom graphic on mine. I think he's offering this as an option now. Do check with him.

You're gonna be over the moon when you receive your Screwdriver;)

16. Ned

Ned Member

is the screwdriver anything like the eternity, dual drive, or cot?? or is it a differnt flavor of OD?

17. trucks

trucks Member

The Screw Driver is a mosfet treble-boost input followed by a hybrid fuzz. Take a listen to the clips at Skreddy's site. Be advised, you may experience GAS.:AOK

18. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Can anyone provide a link to the Skreddy website?
    Google let me down.
    Much appreciated.

19. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Please disregard. I need to spell things properly.
    Sorry

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member