Script MXRs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dog Boy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

So I went to a rehearsal yesterday afternoon at the drummers house. We don't usually do that and we have to keep it quiet there so I didn't bring my rig. He offers to let me use his ancient Peavy amp, "Cool", I think.

He lifts it out of a pile of crap in his garage and it looks like its been kept at the bottm of a river. Amazingly it still works but intermitantly keeps shutting down. Thinking I maight be able to fix it I look around and see two old stomp boxes in the back of the thing. Damn if its not a script Distortion + and a Dyna Comp. They both sounded FANTASTIC....I was floored. After the drummer turned down my generous offer of 25 bux for both I advised him to put them in a drawer in the house.

There was a day when MXR was putting out the good stuff.

2. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I had a 77 block logo with script logo on the back plate and it sounded really good. Did suck a bit of tone in bypass, but I could have converted it if I had known about these things at the time.

3. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Supporting Member

I have a 70's Dyna Comp, one of the first block logo (no LED) and it has fab since day 1. I 've had other comps, but sold them.

4. burner

burner Member

If I understand it correctly the early "block" logo models (with script on back) are the same circuit as the "script" models.
    Is this correct?

5. Cory

Cory Guest

I've got a really old script phase 90 that I've had for 20+ years. It's the best sounding one I've ever heard. It's much warmer sounding than all the others I've tried over the years. Almost replaced it on my board so I could use my power supply with it. I tried several other phase 90's and the script one ate them all up so much that I decided to just keep putting batteries in it. Great pedals!

6. Filter428

Filter428 Member

The early script 90's are a little less "swooshier" than the early block logo ones. Still, they're both great, nice warm pedals. I regret getting rid of my script Phase 45 but kept my Phase 90's. The Dunlop ones sound nothing like the originals. The early Dearmond Twister comes very close to the early MXR's.

7. Merelington

Merelington Member

Whats the difference between the script phase 45's and the 90's? I have a phase 90 (new) modded with a script toggle switch. I've heard the original script 45's are less cheesy sounding (less swooshier) & more warm. Is this true?

8. cheesey

cheesey Member

the 45 is nice and chewy not over the top swoosh like the 90 can achieve

9. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Same here, plus I've got an early block logo Phase 100. Both are awesome and I bought both brand new in '77 :JAM

10. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

11. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Oh no!:jo Another reason why I should have kept it.