Scuffham S-Gear total novice where do I start?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MontyW, Feb 18, 2012.

1. MontyW

MontyW Member

Okay after seeing and hearing a number of demos of S-Gear and following a few threads on TGP, I've decided I want to give S-Gear a go. However, although I have played guitar for a long time - this will be my first venture into a pure 'software' solution.

Can someone tell me what I need to get started with playback and recording. Recording is something I'll look into later. I have the following kit:

* iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo) running 10.7.3
    * MacBook Pro (Core i7) also 10.7.3
    * Genelec 8020B monitors

I use my iMac for listening to music and use a Benchmark USB DAC.

I know I need an audio interface and I can get my hands either a RME BabyFace, Echo AudioFire 4 or Apogee Duet quite easily. Is an interface and the S-Gear standalone software all that I need?

Oh I've also got a Sunday Driver that I know Acyslounge from YouTube uses, but I don't have a clue how this is used with an interface, so any advice on how to use the Sunday Driver would be good.

Any advice on how to get up and running would be great.

Thanks.

2. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

You are on the right track... Pretty much a good audio interface, and the S-Gear software is all you need.

I've got a MacBook, and the Duet interface (version1 - firewire). I don't think I even had to do anything to S-Gear to configure it for the Duet... Just installed the software, plugged in my guitar and Jammed away merrily.

Don't even bother tweaking S-Gear at first either - just select different presets and enjoy the sounds.

If you wanted to use the Sunday Driver, or ANY pedals, just put it in the chain as per usual:

Guitar -> Pedal(s) -> Audio Interface -> S-Gear

Basically, plugging into the audio interface is treated the same as plugging into an amp, so you want to have your pedals before that. Unfortunately, no easy way to incorporate pedals into the 'FX Loop' (i.e. between the preamp and power amp) as you can with most real amps. All pedals have to be 'before' the amp.

Then, later as you get more proficient and want to record etc., you can incorporate S-Gear into Garageband etc. to record along with backing tracks and such. Give us a shout out then if you want more detailed instructions on doing so.

In the meantime, just plug in and play... :)

3. MontyW

MontyW Member

CyberFerret - thanks for the reply - very helpful !!

4. Hornacho

Hornacho Member

One thing that I have found with software is sometimes if your tone knob on your guitar is turned up to 10... you might get real high, tinny, screechy nasty sounds in the treble tones. Guitar Rig, Amplitube... they all seem to do it on my guitar. I hated software sims for a long time because of this. BUT... one day I set my tone knob on my guitar to about 4-6 range... total difference. Changed my whole outlook on using software.

With S-Gear... I can have a little of the tinny screech if it's on 10... so I usually keep the tone on around 4-6. It does truly sound great. In fact, sometimes I can run certain amps in S-Gear at 10 and not hear the screech.

There could be many factors that cause this... guitar, cables, and pickups... and I have read other posts here on TGP that others have been through this but discovered the tone knob. But just keep this in mind if you start to hear tinny screechy sounds... It's not just S-Gear.

The tone knob is your friend!