Scuffham S-Gear Update (Jan 2015)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If you haven't already, go download the latest S-Gear update. Some nice features added including, FINALLY, a tuner.

Here's something I recorded yesterday as a demo. Electric guitar is S-Gear. Acoustic is straight into the board + Waves/Schoeps 73 plugin.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/crowdertunes/that-deep-deep-sleep-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

That sounds great! I'm considering buying S Gear. It will be my first foray into the digital realm, besides an HD500x. Is there much of a learning curve? Does it feel like you're playing through an amp? I'm also looking at the Studio Devil stuff. Sorry about all the questions, I am researching it all, but you seem to know what you're doing. :)

3. Crowder

I really love it. I rarely plug in an amp anymore at home. I leave my main one at our drummer's house and never miss it.

I have considered getting an Eleven Rack or similar, but I keep getting what I want from S-Gear (at least in terms of recording or practicing at home). Scuffham also allows you to download updates for the product at no additional charge. The last update before this one added a 57 Tweed Deluxe model.

4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Yep, add the Rosen Digital IRs to S-Gear and you've got quite a formidable setup (although the IRs built-in to S-Gear aren't too shabby either).

5. dennwall

dennwall Member

S-Gear seems like a good solution for apartment dwellers like me. Do you plug in direct to your interface, or does having a separate DI or preamp make a difference?

Thanks for posting your soundcloud link, that helps a lot. Nicely done!

6. Crowder

I just plug into my Audient interface.

Thanks for the kind words on my tune. Here are others that use different tones. All are S-Gear.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/crowdertunes/san-antonio-blues-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/crowdertunes/the-long-poor-rough-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/crowdertunes/boots-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

7. dshobe

I downloaded S Gear last night. It was very easy to dial in a great tone. I'm using an HD500X as my interface. Not ideal. The latency is pretty high, 28 ms with the smallest buffer size. I'm going to assume that using a different interface, say a Focusrite Scarlett would drastically reduce latency. Also, I am using a couple of H9s in the loop of the HD500X. I tried to open the H9 Control app to change algos on the H9s while S Gear was running and it crashed the computer. S Gear looks, or rather sounds like a great product but I may need to get a different interface to fully realize it's potential on my system.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I have no latency issues with my S-Gear, so I would assume yours is a result of your interface.

9. dshobe

Yeah, that's definitely the issue as far as latency. If I get say a Scarlett 6i6 I can increase the buffer size since (I assume) the Scarlett has a much lower level of latency. Thus freeing up the CPU so I can still run the H9s.

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

S-Gear is awesome. I love the new tweed amp. With Windows, a good interface, and the ASIO driver, you should be able to get under 10 ms latency.

11. Crowder

They just posted another update, FYI. Some nice little added features, but more importantly, it sounds like they've made the plugin more efficient. I haven't had any problems with latency, but I often have two tracks of S-Gear installed in Logic, and the more efficient each plugin is the better.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

13. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

I would love to know the most efficient way to use this live. The tones are killer. I just finished a project using an old Fender Tele into the Plexmonster (or whatever the preset is) and the producer was thrilled.

14. Crowder

I would think a laptop and a small recording interface. You'd just give the soundman a feed out of the interface and hopefully he would give you plenty of it in the monitors.