Scuffham S-Gear

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by scook, Jun 9, 2016.

1. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Hmmm... not sure why its not working for you because IMO there is absolutely no contest between Hybrit and the Stealer (Hybrit sounds really grainy and the decay is not very natural IMO). The stealer is arguably the best software marshall sim in existence. Its better than most of the hardware sims IMO as well. The kemper and AX probably have the advantage but I don't have those boxe$ lying around to compare.

As far as tips go. Make sure you pay close attention to gain staging with S-gear. You want to keep your interface input at a level where it is NEVER in the red to avoid digital clipping. Also you want to make sure that the output level from S-gear is also never in the red for the same reason.

However...You typically want the input gain within S-Gear to be HOT. If its too low it'll sound anemic. You can adjust this within S-gear using the input trim knob. The input meter in S-gear should be averaging near the top of the green section and into the yellow. It is NOT an issue if it goes into the red. It'll react like a real amp when pushed into the red and get dirtier without digital distortion - only more simulated tube distortion. I use a VST treble booster or Tube screamer plugin to boost the front end of the Stealer into the red and it sounds awesome just like it does with the real deal.

Experiment with all of the boosts on the stealer and also spend time getting acquainted with the contour knob which is basically a tone/distortion control that simulates a jumped marshall where you can vary the Bright and Normal channel volumes for different sounds. Contour full CCW = normal channel only; Full CW = Bright only; Fun can be had everywhere in between.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    mbenigni, ryentzer and Dynation like this.
  2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

This is not true for S-gear. You can run the input level in the red within S-gear and it'll break up like a real overdriven amp. Its only your INTERFACE that needs to be kept below clipping.

Here it is right in the manual:
    Correct input and output level is critical to achieving a really natural guitar amp tone with S-Gear. When you plug a guitar into a physical amp, you know how much impact the pickup output level has on the tones produced. Setting the input level into S-Gear is just as critical, and you will find that the dynamic behaviour of the amps differs considerably when they are driven harder or softer. We recommend running with a softer input level to avoid nasty clipping on the input of your audio interface. To check your input, bypass the S-Gear AMP, EFFECTS and CAB (using the buttons on the Rack Controller), then listen to clean guitar through your interface. If you hear nasty clipping, lower the input level on your audio device. This clipping won’t get cleaned up by S-Gear, and can only detract from your tone! It is possible to use the S-Gear Input Trim control to deliberately drive the S-Gear Amp harder. It is OK to do this because your guitar signal is already in the floating-point digital domain, and the result will be that the first stage of the S-Gear amp is overdriven quicker. Don’t attempt the same trick with your audio interface, as you are likely to get some nasty audio clipping – unless your audio interface has been designed to clip in a nice way – as most are not designed to be overdriven and the results will sound bad.

football likes this.
  3. scook

scook Member

Great demo:

rePlay likes this.
  4. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

S-Gear has the feel which I define as non-linear response to pick dynamics just like real amps. A couple of tricks:

Check out the sag control. Turn it up for a more old amp feel or down for a new amp feel. It softens or hardens the leading edge of the note envelope, a little bit like the attack parameter of a synth.

In Convolver try the delay parameter on one side or the other, but not both. Does nothing in mono but really makes your guitar pop in a stereo mix.

Dynation likes this.
  5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yes, you are correct. I was only referring to the input on the interface. :)

6. jdalf

jdalf Member

Standout factory presets for my tastes are Liontone, Roy's dream, Heaven and Plexmonster.

SamPaoli likes this.
  7. JTRake

JTRake Member

Love S-Gear. While all available amps are good I tend to use the Stealer, Duke and Custom 57 most. I think it is the best modeler available. I have not used any hardware modellers lately so I cant say anything about how it compares to them. I'm not going to find out either because I have setteled with S-Gear and can just play instead of hunting new gear. Have not had GAS since I started using it. It works great with external pedals to.

jrw32 and ryentzer like this.
  8. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

What Slate bundle includes S-Gear?

9. +NRG

+NRG Member

S-Gear has spoiled me! It takes a little time to play around with all of the controls and understand how everything works / interacts. But, the presets are a good starting point! The user manual has the details and great tips. Love the effects too! Even if I'm not using the S-Gear amps, I use S-Gear's delay with my guitar tracks...

10. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

If only I had a computer that would run S-Gear without noticeable latency, I would be using it right now.

11. patriot7

patriot7 Member

What's the most cost effective way to buy S-Gear? Does it ever go on sale?

12. SamPaoli

SamPaoli Member

The amount of time and money you'll save buy just buying S-Gear and avoiding the other inferior setups is worth it! Just DO IT!!!!

MIJLOVER likes this.
  13. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I think I got it for a $99 introductory price several years ago. How about this? It's easily worth 3 times the current price. Now it's on sale for 67% off!

Mexicanbreed likes this.
  14. scook

scook Member

The Slate "Everything" Subscription. $25 a month. Great deal if you would use them a lot.

15. patriot7

patriot7 Member

Where do you see that? I'm still seeing $129 at scuffhamamps.com. :dunno

16. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

I think @Steve Dallas is saying that if you value it 3x more, then it's normal price is a deal.

17. MjS88

MjS88 Member

S-gear convinced me to ditch my tube amp (which I was using in a small apartment). It records better and sounds better at the volumes I can get away with. It's also way more flexible. Right now I'm loving the Stealer (for Marshall-style gain up to EVH territory) and the Jackal (for 80ies style heavy metal). The user interface looks a bit outdated and sometimes unintuitive, but it more than makes up for that in sounding great. For me, it beat free plugins (of course) but also competitors like Bias and Amplitube. The latter sound pretty good in some demo's too, but S-gear wins out on amp-like feel.

jrw32 likes this.
  18. AZG

AZG Member

I also think S-Gear is the best sounding plug-in I've tried. Great to have around as a nice recording option. My Fractal gear, and probably the KPA I had in the past, are the only things I like the sound and feel of better. The Helix I had would probably get placed behind S-Gear for tone, not sure about feel. S-Gear is definitely worth the money if you have a good recording interface.

19. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I love S-Gear. Also enjoy BIAS Amp too, as well as my new Amplifire. It's crazy, how good these affordable tools have gotten. I love my real amps, but it's awesome that I don't have to sell them in order to fund a $2000+ modeling setup; I just use the cheaper stuff to get great recorded tone.

jrockbridge and clintmartin like this.
  20. Doozy

Doozy Member

Amazing tool but we have been waiting a very long time since the last expansion. Expectations are very high