Scumback Appreciation

I love the J75. He also recently suggest the BM-75 LD to me but I haven’t taken the plunge yet. I had the M75 as well but when compared to the J75, didn’t do it for me. It was a little vintage correct, perhaps, where the J75 is possibly more modern and fitting for me, while still giving me what the M75 did.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
No secret around here that I'm a big fan of the Scumback alnicos.

I have 4 of them - 3x SC75s and 1x S75-PVC.

Those SC75s make my Bluesbreaker just absolutely sing........

Would love some M55s/M75s to go in my 1960TV, but it's never a cheap exercise with my cr@p currency and shipping a distance that's almost akin to having to ship to Mars.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Damn! I see this kind of response all the time about Scumbacks. Maybe I need to give one a whirl...
Careful, careful. One does not simply just get one scumback speaker and think they are done. Most try one and get more, so make sure your wallet and ears are ready.

Seriously though, Scumback’s are great speakers. When it came time to recone a pair some Vox silver alnicos for a Vox 412, Jim was the first one I contacted. He did a Great job on the recones, very pleased.

rawkguitarist

Shy of the 10inch Dr. Z speaker in my little M12 all of my speakers are Scumback. My best sounding cab ever is my Dr. Z 2x12 open back with J75LD 65 watt'ers. I have to play everything from clean funky R&B riffs to high gain 32nd notes. The large dust caps, on Jim's recommendation, shave off the upper harmonics inherent in high gain.

Also have:
H75LD 65watt in my Dr. Z Z28 combo
H75LD 100watt in my Forte 3D 1x12

They're all the best speakers I've ever had. All smooth yet clear. Very pleasing out of the shipping box. Now... I wish he would make a 10 inch. Come'on Jim!

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I've always wanted to take the Scumback plunge and finally did it last year with a StoneAge 2x12" cab. I contacted Jim and told him that my 1x12" cab had the Celestion Alnico Cream and that I wanted something very different in character from that for the bigger cab. He asked about my amps and preferences and suggested that I go with the BlackBacks with the large dust cap. So that's the way I went.

When the cab arrived I realized that the combination of the aggressive cab design and speakers really did work together to create a huge, forward sound. It's become a favorite with friends and it has more character than I've experienced from a cab.

That cab is one hell of an experience......so much of that are the drivers. They're instant classics for me. I couldn't be happier.

Daprofessor

Silver Supporting Member
I've always wanted to take the Scumback plunge and finally did it last year with a StoneAge 2x12" cab. I contacted Jim and told him that my 1x12" cab had the Celestion Alnico Cream and that I wanted something very different in character from that for the bigger cab. He asked about my amps and preferences and suggested that I go with the BlackBacks with the large dust cap. So that's the way I went.

When the cab arrived I realized that the combination of the aggressive cab design and speakers really did work together to create a huge, forward sound. It's become a favorite with friends and it has more character than I've experienced from a cab.

That cab is one hell of an experience......so much of that are the drivers. They're instant classics for me. I couldn't be happier.
How good are those Stoneage cabs? What about a 4x12?

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I lean towards the H75 Scumbacks. After using many different types of speakers over the last few decades, I found that am happiest with Scumback H75s.

I have a 1x12 and two 2x12 cabs all with H75 100 watt Scumbacks and one J75. I play a Carol Ann Triptik II, a Germino Classic 45 and a '68 Fender Showman through these cabs and all sound great to me .... clean and overdriven.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Love Scumback! I’m in that, have a couple... need more, stage. I have an M75PVC, SC75 and a 60’s T1088 S75PVC re-cone. All fantastic speakers with real vintage character. There are so many Scumbacks I want to try. I’ve got nothing against Celestion, but I don’t think I’ll ever buy a modern Celestion again. I can’t say this enough, thank you Jim for doing what you do. :dude:bow

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Is the M75 series a good all around speaker for Classic rock type stuff? No metal or real heavy stuff. I would play it in an open back 1x12 with a Mesa Mark V. He is recommending the M75/100.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a huge fan of their speakers, sooo good! I'm actually gearing up to buy some more right now. But a hidden gem is his Attenuator. I know it used to be the Alex, but I really think Jim stepped up the quality on them, and they sound fantastic! I've had a lot of the TGP "darling" attenuators over the years, and I've always come back to this attenuator, it just has been the best sounding of the bunch.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
How good are those Stoneage cabs? What about a 4x12?
I'm familiar with Boogie, Bogner, Avatar, Mather, Dr Z, Marshall, Magnatone, Suhr....so many cabs over the years. The truth is that I've rarely come across a quality cab that I think is leagues above the others. There are different approaches that lead to different characteristics and the Bogner, Suhr and Z cabs have always been my favorites for bigger cabs.

StoneAge changed my idea of my 'perfect' cab with the 1x12" I bought a couple of years ago. I've simply not found a better built box...the size of the cab makes it sound incredibly open and rich even when run as a closed back. My 2x12" is a bit different as it's the biggest version he makes and the baffle is fixed. He calls it the Beast and it's a big, punchy, aggressive box. But it really avoids the sort of clownish lows that I hear from 4x12s at lower volumes (if that makes sense). Lots of 4x12 vibe in a slightly smaller, lighter package and I think it works better for me than a 4x12 would.

And John is the best person you'll ever work with. Seriously.

Trending Topics