Scumback H75 16HP after several months of break in time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Mar 2, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Jim sent me this speaker to try at my request several months ago. It's one of the larger dustcap models. For the longest time I have been a Celestion fan, and recently have freed my mind up to other makes of speakers.

Out of the box, I put it in an Avatar 1x12. Jim told me to floor my amp on it, and it would start loosening up in a little while. He was right. The thing was pretty stiff and took a good day's worth of high volume, EL34 pounding to work it loose. By the end of the day, it started to get more articulate. Over the next few months of gigging and practice, it really came into it's own.

Next to a G1265 the 65HP was almost 3D sounding in comparison. No contest, the 65 HP is a winner. With the large dustcap the highs are somewhat rolled off, but not non-existant. This speaker just has to be broken in for the jangle to be realized. It is also a very articulate speaker as well, not losing anything as you roll off the volume knob. This speaker handles high gain really well too. I cannot find a harsh frequency anywhere in it to save my life.

If my 65HP were lost or stolen, I'd order another one in a minute!

-Rich

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    That's great to hear...I've got 4 of them on order!!!!

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Get you a set of earplugs and get to work on them with a 100 watter!:D

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Rich, as I've found out with the HP models, due to their higher power handling, they take a bit longer to break in...

Ok buddy, not to bust your nuts online, but you're in a timewarp...or a time space continuum... or sumpthin'... I sent you that H75-16LHDC model in early January, and you emailed me that you got it on January 7th... Since you've had it just under two months...uh...where does several MONTHS come into the picture? LOL

Ok, we have emailed back and forth for several months...but you've only had the speaker in your possession for about 52 days...and you didn't get it installed for about a week after that while you waited for the cab...

Do you suppose the tone takes you back to the sixties when you play? Maybe you watched too many episodes of that old TV series "The Time Tunnel"?? (Just messing with ya!) :AOK

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The HP 75 is the definite winnah in Stevo's speaker sweepstakes!
    Now would you PLEASE make a flippin' alnico blue clone? I can
    darn near guarantee early retirement if you's pull it off, and the
    $$ is right. Now wheres my Tshirt?

:horse

6. Scumback Speakers

OK, gents, let's talk about Alnico speakers for a bit...right over here...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=135704

7. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have a pair of Jim's SA12H75HP in my Germino 2x12 (set up with an open back) and I am totally happy with what they have done for my tone.

Just yesterday I was at my rehearsal space armed with my Les Paul and Komet 60 + said cab and was set on A/B-ing some preamp tubes in the Komet (another thread...) and I started playing for what I thought would be a couple of minutes to get my ear tuned in and to dial in the amp for a great crunch sound that would clean up to a "dirty clean" via guitar volume and pickiing strength - how I like to use the Komet.

Well the thing is, a whole hour later I'm still "warming up" and very reluctant to stop playing and switch tubes as I'm loving the tone so much!!! These speakers give me a throaty, woody, chunky tone that is just a joy to play. As has oftene been mentioned, highs are very pleasant, the mids are chunky and the bass still hangs together even with the LP neck, which is a true test I think.

I have a set of the SA12H55 on their way as I type that I am really looking forward to hearing in a Germino slant 4x12 - should be another juicy tone to have.

By the way, I like the fact that these speakers are not the loudest - I am able to run the Komet on 2:00 where things get REALLY juicy and still not go deaf. Loud? Yes... but not stupid loud.

Good on you Jim!
    Chris

8. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

You're welcome for me 'forgetting mine' for a week or so at your pad there buddy!:p

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You have a memory like an Elephant Jim. It's o.k. to bust my balls on the net, I'm used to it.:eek: I just estimated the timeframe.:eek: "The other day" for me is anytime between last week and about three months ago.:D

Still, the thing came around in a pretty short time. Maybe 30 days? Either way, it is a killer speaker. It gets used probably 4 days out of the week for no less than at least 2 hours or more at a time, and often at higher volumes. I think what finally broke it in for good was a 6 hour gig at a police club at high volumes. For most jobs, I run it mic'd, and it seems to do really well with the SM57's I use. I'm completely sold on this speaker.:BEER

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this post. They are not stupid loud at all, yet articulate.

11. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

posted by the Big Guy!
    "You're welcome for me 'forgetting mine' for a week or so at your pad there buddy!"

Credit where due Mr. Magoo!
    :AOK

12. mmorse

mmorse Member

I've had Jim's M75's, H75's and H55's. All are excellent speakers. I have a pair of H75's and H55's in my Marshall slant 412 and the tone is great with all three of my heads. I love how they take alot of gain but stay articulate and open. They don't go fuzzy or muddy. They have a nice highend bite but are never harsh and don't rip your ears off. And your guitar's individual tone never gets lost. Wish I could say that with some of the Celestions I've owned.

Having said that, I've bought 10 speakers from Jim and I'm STILL waiting for my damn T-shirt! C'mon already Jim! :D

13. Scumback Speakers

Sheesh...you, too, Mr. Morse??? What's your size again? I thought we agreed to put that in with your next order of H55-16's (No, they're not in yet!)...or are you chumming me for more swag?

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

What are the H55's like?

15. straticus

straticus Member

A big +1 for Jims speakers!

I threw a pair of H75's in my 2x12 cab and while they weren't my thing, they definitely had "that sound" if you know what I mean. Very reminiscent of so many classic tones. I mean they just nailed them! Sweet.

I just put a pair of Jims' M75's in the same cab and man, these are the speakers for me! The sweet mids, smooth highs and creamy character just do it for me. I bought these from a forum member and they're not broken in yet. I laid down a few tracks yesterday on our demo CD and they rock!

16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I will always chum for swag but-ya'll are right! My 75-8HP is a killer and those who don't get it need to-in spades...might be the BEST repro type speaker made...I saw ScottL saying that Celestions are the kiss of death to Dumble type amps-I respectfully disagree,maybe new Celestions,but not the PreRola stuff like the Scummie does-makes my K&M Custom 50 sound incredible!BTW where's the freakin ballcap,BRAT????

17. mmorse

mmorse Member

Well, I started with a quad of M75s because I tired of my RI Greenbacks flabbing out when pushed. The M75s held up much better than the Greenies but the tone wasn't quite there for me. So I swapped out a pair of M75s for H75s and really liked that. I then got another pair of H75s for my 212.

Out of curiosity, if nothing else, I ordered a pair of H55s to see what they were like. Didn't care much for the tone I heard on the clips on Jim's site but I took a shot anyway. Glad I did. I don't think the clips do them justice. The H55s are the best of the three IMO. Big, bold, open. They stay cleaner a little longer but can get nasty with the best of them. They grab the amp by its nads and demand everything it has. The larger magnet speakers just seem to have better overall control than the M magnets IMO.

The H75/H55 mix did it for me. That's why I have another H55 on order to do the same mix in my 212. I'm sure I could be just as happy with all H55s. When it comes in, I'll have a nicely broken in H75-16 available for anybody interested. :AOK