Scumback H75 and M75 and Celestion G12-65 soundclips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Feb 28, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I received my nice new shiny Scumbacks earlier this week from Jim (H75 8ohm 65W and M75 8ohm 65W).

They have now been installed in my rear ported 2x12, which had held well broken in Heritage G12-65's.

I won't beat around the bush, here are the soundclips. The amp (AC30HH) has exactly the same settings for every clip. The micing is also identical.

G12-65 :- http://www.box.net/shared/static/3h7b8bccog.mp3

H75 :- http://www.box.net/shared/static/24t4kojr40.mp3

M75 :- http://www.box.net/shared/static/3sdsslmo04.mp3

Bear in mind that the G12-65's are well broken in and the Scumbacks are literally straight out of the box, and are a fraction bright. I tweaked the amp a little bit to adjust for this, and re-recorded clips of the Scumbacks.

H75 :- http://www.box.net/shared/static/7sig6le88k.mp3

M75 :- http://www.box.net/shared/static/aoblch1c0g.mp3

Overall I have a strong preference for the H75/M75 mix. With my amp/cab, I notice much more clarity and cut in the tone, with less woolly bass. I used to like the G12-65's, but I'm afraid the Scumbacks just kicked their butts out the door.

Thanks Jim. Another very happy customer here. Well worth the cost and hassle of importing to the UK. I've had Celestion G12H's and greenbacks before, but these are in a different class IMO.

2. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Wow it seems that those scumbacks really do rule

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Great clips! I have an H75 65 watter coming to me for my 1x12 cab and my /13 EDT 13/29. I can't wait!

4. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I wish someone would post some blackface type clean clips for all the scumbacks, this would really tell what they sound like!

5. Dave

Dave Member

I guess this just goes to show we all like different things and have different ears. I own a pair of each of these speakers, and while I do think the Scumbacks sound great I'd never claim they kick the G12-65's butt. I like the mids of the G12-65 with the right amp/cab. But then, I don't really see it as a competition. I'm not looking for the perfect speaker because there is no such thing. I have different cabs with different speakers for different applications and I like them all.

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

I agree completely. My opinion is only particularly relevant to my gear, and the tone I am trying to achieve. Sorry, I assumed that was obvious. And, for ME, the Scumbacks have definately kicked the G12-65's out of the cab, for good.
    I only try to have one amp at a time, and I'm finally pretty settled with gear at the moment, so I won't keep the Celestions for another cab or amp. I couldn't really justify it to my wife either. She's been very amenable with my gear recently, and I don't want to push it too far.

7. Dave

Dave Member

Right on. I didn't mean to bag on your review, it was an excellent comparison and I love it when people post clips, so thanks for that. :BEER

I completely understand, believe me. I'm trying to sell off some of my less than essential toys right now. Maybe use the money to take the wife on a little vacation and use what's left to buy a new guitar.:cool:

8. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The Celestion seems to have more of a muffled mid rangy tone where as the Scum H75 seems a little bright or scooped mids. The M seems to be right in the middle. I have 2 H75 Hp's and now curious to try the M75. The amazing thing I find with the Scumbacks is you can just re-eq your amp to match what your looking for and get it where as most speakers you can't dial out what is not right if that makes any sense.

9. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I would love to try those speakers...but..every clip I have heard is with overdrive. I play a Fender blackface amp and would love to hear how this type of speaker (especaiily the scumnioc and H75) sounds for clean sounds since that is what I am most interested in hearing and playing.

Thanks

P.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well that sounds like a G12-65 for sure. One of the reasons I dont use them in singles-too middy without enough high end. They lock in together with a G12H-30 like two pieces of a puzzle though!

Thanks for posting the clips. Im really wondering what a G12H-30 sounds like next to a scum now. Bob

11. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Yep! The 1265 and g12h go together like peas and carrots! IMO its much better than the standard v30/h30 combo.

12. blondeorphan

blondeorphan Member

Right on man. I REALLY liked what the H75's were doing. A little bright but in a good way. Thanks for posting! Great playing.

How are the Scumbacks different from the Celestions? Do you think the Scumbacks would take more of the spike out of my amp on the non eq channel than the Celestions do??

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

If you like the Scummies now, you're gonna love them later. There is a pronounced change in tone around the 25 hour mark on the M's, a little bit later on the H's.

14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the clips!
    I much prefer the Heritage 65's.
    If I wanted a more open, scooped mid, thin sounding tone (for some crazy reason), I'd go with the Scumbacks.

15. tonecrazy

tonecrazy Supporting Member

That's because you haven't heard that M broken in. Nothing thin about a nice broken in M75.

16. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

My extensive speaker search ended last year when I put a quad of Celestion 20 Watt Heritage G12M's in my 4X12 cab.
    And yes, I have tried Jim's speakers......they just don't float my boat.

FWIW, Kudos to Jim for his countless hours of hard work and dedication to produce his speaker line.
    He and his customer service are top notch!

17. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Well yea we all have different tastes but if you look closely you will hear that sumbacks have more quality tones coming out than the celestion. Its like scumback have more layers of sound and soul hehe

18. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm not great at using words to describe tone, but when I used them I thought the Celestion G12M's and G12H's (Celestion's comparative speakers to the H75 and M75) had a sort of harshness to them which I could never dial out. Even though brand new, and rather bright still, the Scummies just don't feel like that at all.
    I hate any hint of harshness or icepick in my tone, I really do. But I also don't like a very dark, dull sound. With the Celestion G12M and G12H's, I could never dial out the harshness without the whole tone becoming dull to my ears. With the SCummies I instantly can. And this is obviously all relevant to MY ears. Other people will hear it differently, but thats the way I hear it.

Maybe I just didn't give the Celestions enough time, although I did pummel them for hours and hours with dance music, as well as playing through them for months. I hear that the G12H30, in particular, can take a long time to break in, but I never got to the point where I liked it, and I never heard it get noticeably mellower either.

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I bet the M75 and Celestion Heritage 65 would be a great combo in a 2x12 cab.

4 of the 20 watt Heritage speakers in a 4x12 cab is probably insane.

I need money

20. samtheman

samtheman Member

2* G1265`s works better w/ open back cabinet.....

/sam