Scumback M75 + Alnico Gold

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AkrW, Jan 29, 2012.

1. AkrW

AkrW Member

I have a 2x12 cab that already has an Alnico Gold in it. Since I would like to use it with my 100 watt plexi, I would like to match it with a 100 watt M75. I don't mind the sensitivity difference between them since it is mostly for micing purposes and don't mind hearing the M75 a lot more than the Gold. Is it a good idea or will I kill the Gold? Thanks

2. amp boy

amp boy Member

the gold has a higher db rating i think.....so shouldn't you hear that more.....

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Possibly the Gold will blow, being rated a mere 50W. And from what I can tell the Gold at 100dB SPL will actually be louder until it starts compressing.

4. Dave

Dave Member

That's a great combination. As others have mentioned, the Gold is more efficient than the M75, a lot more efficient, actually. But, the M75 will still contribute it's mids and wonderful crunch to the mix. As far as power-handling, Celestions are rated pretty conservatively, so you'll probably be ok, but you are taking a chance.