Scumback M75 or H75

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ddsl401, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ddsl401

ddsl401 Member

I need a cab for my Badger 18. I'm thinking of getting a Forte 3D 1x12 with a Scumback. I play at home (basement) 99% of the time. I play classic rock, southern rock and blues. I would like some decent clean tones too.
    I have a Tele, Strat and two Les Pauls.

So the big qestion is which speaker the M75 or the H75?

Can I get decent cleans out of the M75?

Which is more versitile?

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. freaksho

freaksho Member

most generally say H style is better for 1x12 cabs because there is more low end, overall fuller spectrum and versatility. and though i've never personally heard a Greenback (M style) in a 1x12, it's easy for me to imagine i'd agree with this based on what i hear from the H style speaker in my 1x12 (it's a WGS Reaper 50W, but whatever). i wouldn't want less low end than that.

have you listened to Pete Thorn's awesome Scumback demo on youtube yet? might be helpful to you. it's a very well recorded shootout of the Scumback M, H, J and alnico, from clean to metal and everything in between. it's effin great.

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Try the J. It is a perfect compromise IMO in a 1x12...

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

For cleans I would consider J or H over the M because of the relative attenuated high end of the M speaker.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

For me, the clear choice is the H

Keep in mind, while the H is much more versatile and has better cleans, it's also a more efficient speaker and will be quite a bit louder.

You will be able to crank your amp more w/o it being nearly as loud with the M

Peace,
    Ken

6. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

my H kicks ass in a 1X12 cab. tons of bass.

7. ianb

ianb Member

:agree

I have the M, H and J. I prefer the M/H as a combination, and the J as a single 1x12.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yep.
    And ditto Jim S.

The badger should sound great with a J-75.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

In my experience, the M75 is the best all around speaker. I didn't like any of the other Scumback offerings and usually always found some sort of offending frequency or aspect to each them. Except the M75. I consistantly find the sound I'm looking for with these speakers.

Check the emporium. H75s are ALWAYS for sale. But rarely do you see M75s.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I would say H unless your mainly going for gainer sounds, then the M is awesome.

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

but don't forget it's a 1x12 he's talking about. and i think Jimi proved that the H pretty awesome for light OD too.

in fact that's something to consider: the LHDC model of the H, especially for 1x12. a little more beef on bottom and a bit smoother top end.

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

M75 works for Pete Thorne in that arrangement... and he's tried EVERY scumback 100 times over.

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah that's true, you're right. but isn't his 1x12 primarily a recording cab? i got that impression from the video.

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Id say the M75 but I dont like a ton of bass on guitar. Thats what the bass guitar was made for.

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

no 1x12 will be competing with the bass guitar. it's not about huge chest thump for me either - it's to avoid the dreaded 'boxy' tone.

16. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Possibly, but whats the difference?

Changing the speaker to compensate for a small footprint is a big mistake IMO. The SOUND of the speaker doesn't change from a 1x12 or a full stack of 8x12s. just the perception standing in the room.

If you get a speaker that your using to compensate for the fact that you are only using one speaker, then you'll find it to sound off when the soundguy mics it up on stage, or you go to record.

Kind a like how too many guitar players EQ their setup/amp for when they are standing off-axis from the speakers. They think they're getting killer liquid warm tones with clarity, but in reality their sound is extremely spitty and full of too much treble frequencies. (This...btw, is why I think those dudes in the 60s/70s got such killer sounds. They all used FULL stacks so that they had a whole 4x12 of speakers pointing straight at their heads. So they setup their sound for what sounded good directly in front of the speakers.... also probably another reason Clapton used the normal input in his marshalls)

17. freaksho

freaksho Member

really? i just went through a 1x12 speaker search and i couldn't disagree more. when you're not recording it's all about perception in the room, which is what most of us do most of the time (and i assume what he does too). and then it's not too hard to compensate when mic'd or recording (the Bass knob, for example). to each his own though - agree to disagree then?

18. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

I emailed Scumback a similar question and they gave me their opinion. My music style is much the same, for a 1x12 they recommened the H.
    I ended up getting a 2x12 and going with an M paired with a Celestion Gold.

19. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

exactly

20. ddsl401

ddsl401 Member

All,
    Thanks for the great information and insight!!!!! I listen to the Peter Thorn video and I'm kinda diggin the M75!!!!!!! (For cleans too, nice and warm)