Scumback M75 vs H75 In A Tweed Style Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpnblues, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...anyone had a chance to compare? Wha'da'ya' think? My main ax is a Tele with Don Mare pu's and I'm experimenting with different speakers in my Louis Tremblelux. I've had a Hellatone 30 (broken in G12H30) and Scumback H75 in it, both of which sounded killer. Lou Rosano had recommended a stock Chinese made Celestion Greenback a couple months ago and I finally got around to trying it out and...Wow!! It too sounded great. Since the Greenback sounded so good, now I'm wondering how a Scumback M75 would sound? It really wouldn't matter which speaker I make as a final choice as they all sound great in this KILLER amp. I'm just trying to distill it down to which one has that "extra magic". So, back to my original question above...?

Tom

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

C'mon guys. Surely there's someone out there with at least 2 or more of these speakers that can offer some opinions. Thanks.

Tom

3. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

Lou is building a KR12 for me so I'm also interested in this combination. I have a Scumback M75 in a 1x12 cab. I use it with a Cornell Plexi and it sounds so much better then my 2x12 cab wit Celestion heritage G65 speakers.
    Pete
    Netherlands

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I have M75 and H75 speakers, but alas no tweed amps.
    What I can say is that they are both superb. The M75 is noticeably quieter and has much less treble response - very woody and "phat". I have both M75's and Cele MIC Greenbacks. They are very similar, but I like the M75's best as they seem fuller and more complex somehow.
    Sounds like you should get an M75 to try out. The used market for Scumbacks seems very good, so you should be able to sell it on with ease if you don't want to keep it.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Thanks so much guys. Anyone else had a chance to compare any of these speakers? Thanks again.

Tom

6. clarkram

clarkram Member

I use a H75 HP scumback in a 1x12 B Burt cab with my KR head, I like it, I've been using this speaker with a number of amps and have liked the response in each (D13 rsa31, Komet Constellation), but I haven't tried the 55 version.

7. mmorse

mmorse Member

No Tweed style amps but I have had both reissue Greenbacks and Scumback M75s. The M75s had better lower mid and bass response. Particularly in open back cabs. They didn't mush out like GBs can when pushed. They are also more articulate and less compressed when pushed.

When you put GBs in a closed back 412, the differences between the two are not nearly as pronounced but the M75, at least for me, was still the better sounding speaker.