SCUMBACK options in 65RI Twin Revb, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Evil_Twin, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Evil_Twin

Evil_Twin Member

First time poster yet avid reader of TGP.

Everyone I would like to know your all general $0.2 about the following idea i have for my 65RI twin. I currently have the stock Jensens in there but am thinking either:

1. Scumnico X M75

2. Scumnico X M75-LHDC

3. M75 X M75

I have read about the greatness of the Scumback products and would love to hear if any members have experimented with combinations of these sorts in twins. Thank you.

2. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

I would think you want an H magnet to get those scooped sounds. The M magnets emphasize the mids.

3. Evil_Twin

Evil_Twin Member

thanks, any other input from the community?

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Obviously just ask THE MAN.

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I find all the reissue Fender amps bright so I would go with M75 100 watters to darken it up a bit.
    M75's are going to change the character of the amp, not necessarily for the bad. Like someone mentioned, you are going to get some more mids. I love mids when I'm gigging!

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

I disagree, I think the M75 is quite flat with almost a little darkness in the mids. To me, it was too flat for higher gain, I went with the H75 LHDC, more in-your-face and agressive for that 2x12 cabinet.

I wouldn't mix the standard and large dust caps, I tried it, voicing was way off, sounded unfocussed.

I wouldn't mix alnico and ceramic, never tried a scumnico, but alnicos compress differently, I just wouldn't do it personally.

The M75 does sound great with fendery single coil tones IMHO ... not terrible with humbuckers, I just preferred the H75 LHDCs ... which also sound okay with single coils, but not awesome IMHO.

So my vote M75 + M75 (I'd do 65 watters). Try just one before buying the other.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I tried some Weber made, h magnet speakers in my twin and they didn't sound all that stellar compared to the stock speakers. I played it with them in there for about three months and switched back to the stock speakers.

8. vanguard

vanguard Member

i'm your man! i have a blackface 1967 twin reverb with a scumnico/M75 combo at 100w each. i had mint JBL D120F's in there before that were just too sterile and sounded horrible with any kind of dirt. got the scums and all's been well since. it still has lots of sparkle and chime, but now it's got a bit of complexity and swirl in the mids and it sounds killer with overdrive and fuzz. best of all, i couldn't play my twin past 2.5 volume even at clubs with the JBL's. with the low-efficiency scums, i practice at home on 4-5 and it's totally comfortable. get it up past 6 and you can still blow over small children, but i can finally play it at its clean sweet spot! i cannot recommend this speaker combo enough.