Scumback Pairings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 20, 2009.

Which Scumback Pairings do you guys prefer?

1. H55/M75

2. M55/M75

3. H55/H75

4. M55/H75

5. M55/H55

6. M75/H75

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

So which one do you guys prefer?

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

4. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking about trying these in my 2x12 oval back cab...

5. amp boy

amp boy Member

doesn't this go hand in hand with amp and cab pairing as well ??
    if anyone wants to chime in to help me understand the difference in sound of the M55 and H55 ??

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

From my limited knowledge, The "M" speakers have a pronounced midrange and the "H" magnet has a more scooped sound with more highs and lows. This is why I started this thread because it seems folks have found pairing different scumback magnets and bass resonence to be a winning combination...

...the problem is, Scumback has 4 different options that equate to MANY different pairings that result in different vibes.

7. big mike

Not a problem, options.
    Lhdc versions are large dustcap and that rounds off the highs a bit.
    So bass and lead cone versions, h or m or alnico, and dust cap. Then rated power handling.

Pretty easy to me. I had been mixing h/m celestions already. This is just a better version for me.

8. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

For me it's the Scumnico SA-12 30w 16ohms with a SA H-55 16ohms great combination!

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Depends what you want to hear, I think the H75 puts out enough bass as it is so I don't think the 55hz stuff would be much of a benefit. Listening to the clips on line those speakers sound pretty murky to me, I like the 75hz stuff better.

Right now I have a H75, H75 (LHDC) and a M75. With my amp I like the H75 and H75 (LHDC) with the M75 I get too much midrange and it make sthe amp break up sooner then I would like. It sounds great clean but as I ratchet up the volume (to gig levels) I can't keep the cleans I'd like.

All three speakers sound great though and I have another LHDC on the way. I might use two LHDC H75's in the 2x12 but I'm not sure yet.

10. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

It totally depends on your amp, cab, amp and style. When I was using my Splawn Quickrod and 4x12 I really dug the H75/H55 combo, but with my JTM45 clone and closed back 2x12 I want to try the H75's on their own since my amp has a lot of bass.

11. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

H75 LHDC/H55, both 65-watters, in an oversized semi-open back 2-12.

sound very complimentary with one amp, also work great with two amps/one cab, wired stereo.

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

13. big mike

I ran h75-HP's with my Rockytop JTM45 when I had it. Great set up. No need for the 55 in the mix.

14. Roe

Roe Member

I'm using the H55/H75 in a bogner OS - sounds great. I try to mic both speakers

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have a few different Scumback combos as well as singles.. AS for the "PRONOUNCED" midrange though ? NO CHANCE. . I'm not measuring the spectrum as I'd rather just play guitar thru them , BUT they're very balanced and if anything my H75's and m75's are almost transparent /hollow sounding. (wouldn't associate midrange either with my m55's or h55's. . To me they have less midrange than any Celestion I've ever owned and that's lots (BUT I have NOT owned 60's Celestions that these are modeled after) I've owned most of 75 thru present though . Meanwhile I just don't associate the term ' mids' with "Scumbacks' at all .. I do associate rich , balanced, SOFT sounding speakers compared to all of my others.. . They're very rich and spongey and balanced, but there's no peaks/pronounced mids, etc.

Enjoy,

Eric

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

I went a different route as I have a 10" and 12" speakers in my combo...I opted for two H75s and love the extra articulation...

if I was gonna pair 2X!2"s I would do the M75/H75 combo...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

If you read my comment, the midrange talk had to do with H vs. M magnets. Not the bass frequencies of 55 and 75. I don't mean to make the M to sound midrangy, but I believe even Jim himself describes the H magnet as having more lows and highs which can make the M sound more midrangy.

But thank you for your input!!!

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Do you routinely use Greenbacks Tyler? I don't , and I find the Scumbacks SO different than my regular speakers I've used for so many years. It's really hard to describe but the Scumbacks are very transparent , almost hollow sounding speakers to me. . It's hard to describe for me via words though . They are soft, spongey, airy , etc and to me that sort of means there's 'no pronounced mids' . So that's the only reason I'm saying that. How could I compare a frequency spectrum to "feel" though ? I'm not sure but that's what I get for trying to explain a speaker's sound via a computer keyboard!! I really really like the sound of my Scumbacks and am trying to get used to them . . If I only had them I'd be happy as hell, but when a/bing them to my Celestions, Eminence, PV Scorpion+ speakers,etc they're SO different that it can drive you bananas. Either way , I haven't used them in gigs as I've taken a hiatus from band stuff this year (It appears that's probably ending now as I got a few band offers yesterday and today and I might be ready to do it again) , but yesterday used my Modded 71 Superlead into a m75 100watter 1x12 at a large jam party a bunch of my musician friends had , and it sounded purty damn nice. It's still not what I'm used to , but it sounds great and feels great. For almost a year I've had a h55 /m55 combination at home , and also have used the h75 /m75 combination. Also have a pV scorpion+/h75 combination. They all sound great and are hard to describe compared to any other NON 60's Celestion.

Enjoy and let us know what you think:)

Eric

19. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Perhaps this is why Scumback recommends (when possible) pairing an M and an H?

20. big mike

If you knew how long Chet and I beat him over the head with that combo. LOL