1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Scumback power ratings, tone differences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by _arvin, May 17, 2011.

1. _arvin

_arvin Guest

I will PM Jim about this, but I figured I'd post and get a general consensus of opinions, if possible.

I'm strongly considering a 2x12 cab with the Scumback H75/M75 combo. I will be using either the Egnater Tweaker (15 watt) head or it's upcoming big brother release, the Tweaker 40. Jim said the 40, when powered by 6L6's, will not blow the 25/30-watt speakers, but I worry about the amount of headroom with the low power speakers. My OD will come from pedals for the most part, so I need decent clean volume without breakup.

For those of you who have experience with these speakers (ONLY the H75 and M75 considered), will the 65-watt versions avail more clean headroom than the 25/30-watters? Do the 65-watt and 100-watt versions retain the tonal integrity of the lesser powered ones? Or do all versions of these speakers just break up way early and I should consider a different model/brand?

Thanks in advance.

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Higher power coils are generally smoother sounding over all and less trebly generally.

3. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

I love my M75/H75 mix, both 65 watters. But it isn't exactly the cab I go to for cleans. It's the cab I go to when I want to RAWK with something Marshally or Wrecky. Sounds great with my Reinhardt Sultan in 6V6 mode, which is some 10-12 watts. Sounds really great with my 30 watt Greer.

Get the 65 watters if for no other reason than they will easily handle either Egnater on your list and bigger amps too.

4. _arvin

_arvin Guest

Two 65-watters would easily handle a 40-watt amp, but would fry if I were to plug in a 100-120 watt head. So I'd like to know if the 100W Scumbacks retain the tonal integrity of the 65-watters, or if they are voiced differently. Also would like to know if the 100-watters would sound great when pushed by a high power amp but sound weak if pushed by only 40 watts.

To my knowledge, there are no video or audio clips which directly compare the 65-watt H/M75's to the 100-watt H/M75's. If I'm missing it, someone please give me a link.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Not voiced differently per se. And also the smoothnes is exponential to the number of times the increase of the coil capacity. Hence the difference is almost neglible comparing a 65 and a 100

6. _arvin

_arvin Guest

So basically.. if deciding between the Scumback 65s or the 100s, I should just go with the 100s and not sell my 5150 (120 watts)? This is on the basis that I'd be able to use the 100s comfortably with the 5150 and not suffer any loss of tone when using them with the Tweaker-40.