Scumback praise!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alguit, Feb 6, 2006.

1. alguit

alguit Guest

A few days ago, I installed a Scumback H-55 into my Carr Slant 6V. I really liked the amp stock, but I felt that the Kingpin 60 leaned more toward the Fender side of the tonal camp, and I lean more toward the Marshall side.

I read about Jim's speakers for the first time on this forum (thanks everyone!) and took the plunge a few weeks ago. Jim couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, both in emails and on the phone, and I couldn't be more pleased with the speaker. The amp's clean channel still is gorgeous, but a little warmer sounding than the Kingpin; still, the channel shimmers up there with the best of them. The lead channel, though, has taken on a more aggressive, more 3-D tone and feel that is so rewarding, so satisfying.

I went with the 30-watt version of the speaker; I never get to push the amp much beyond halfway anyway, and if I ever get to, I have ohmage-matched 1x12 extension cab that will let me turn the volume all the way up.

Again, I wanted to thank folks here for some illuminating reviews as well Jim (and Ted Weber) for such a great speaker...I will be buying more for other amps!

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

+ 1

i got a H75 a few days before namm, and got to play with the band a few nights ago.vit was simply the best my amp has ever sounded. I could not be more pleased with what that speaker has done to my sound. For once i actually feel like my rig sounds how it's supposed to sound (what i've been looking for). thsi speaker OWNS my celestion blue and makes me want to sell the blue just to buy another one of his speakers. i absolutely love it, so much in fact, that i have only been using his once speaker, because my amp just sounds right that way. ANDDDD jim was even the one that got me into to namm. Super nice guy, and i can't wait to do business with him again inthe future.

peace, jon

3. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

great to hear from both of you..as I am waiting on my order of one h55 and one h75 that I will blend together in a Bogner OS 2x12 partial open back cab.....to replace some V30's..I can't wait (but I guess I must!).

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

As Robbie Robertson once sang, "If you like them now, you're going to LOVE them later!"
    Scumbacks really open up after about 20 hours use, more so than any other speaker i've used. Course i am too cheap to buy speakers new, usually.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have a scumback 65HP that is finally getting broken in after many hours of poundings. I mean I let it have the full load from a wound up 50 watt plexi type amp and it held up.:Spank It lost the grainy, new speaker charachter it had when it was new, and settled in very nicely. After a couple of months...................fast foreward........The verdict is in and I really like it. I even ordered another with the smaller dustcap to compliment the large dustcap model. They seem to mic up really well too.:cool:

6. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I'm still waiting on an H75 and H55 myself. I hope they're worth the wait;)

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

If they are like the one's I've tried so far, they will be pretty stiff when you get them. Just put some earplugs on an rock out at high volume! They will settle in somewhat after an hour and get better the more you play them. It has taken maybe a little over a month for mine to break in really good.

:RoCkIn
    -Rich

8. mmorse

mmorse Member

You're going to love the H75/H55 mix. I have that in my 412. THE tone I've been looking for. I also run 2 H-75s in my 212. All three of my heads sound great through them. I was not happy with the tone of my Marshall 2550 (Jubilee) head but since getting the Scummies, I've been using it quite a bit.

Well, fellow slaves, welcome to Jim's army. :BEER

9. jmp2204

jmp2204 Supporting Member

+1!!!
    I have two 75m scumbacks and I love them both. One happily sits among pre&rola greenbacks in old marshall cab, the newest one is currently breaking in among some blackbacks and an Eminence; it is already the best speaker in the box. You can really drive them hard or they can clean up sooo sweetly... they match up very nicely to the old ones, and they are new!

Jim is always fun to talk to, as well. Even at 3 am....! no hesitation here in praising this product or the service.

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

With multiple scummy H mags in 75hz, one H mag in 55hz, as well as an M mag in 75hz and only great things to say about every speaker I've purchased and the man behind them, it's safe to say I'm also a satisfied customer!

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Ahhh. Another has been assimilated.:Devil :Devil

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

H75-8HP......OH YEAH>>>>ROCKS my two-rock:RoCkIn

13. mmorse

mmorse Member

I was wondering when you would be chiming in Mike. How's that Rockytop? :)

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Sounding like a big beautiful hairy beast through a 75HP!!

:D