Scumback SA-12-75 in Carr Mercury

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Da5Id, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

This weekend I installed a Scumback SA-12-75 in my Carr Mercury. I was looking for a more 3 dimensional larger presence, a less midrange focused speaker, and smoother high end response. Here are my initial impressions:

The original Eminence speaker sounded a bit covered to me, too midrange heavy, and sort of small. Although not a bad sounding speaker, I felt it made the amp sound too direct and a bit muddy.

The Scumback really opened up the amp. The cab definitely seems larger now and less laser beam focused. Tonal spectrum is more balanced from bass through midrange to treble. Treble is much less edgy and more rounded. Bass response is similar to the eminence. Midrange is much more pleasing and not dominating the sound. The "cut" switch has a more remarkable effect now, where with the Eminence it was subtle (yet pleasing), and now changes the character more dramatically (not a bad thing). Single coil and humbuckers both sound great. One big thing for me is that my Anderson Classic Strat now doesn't require the "cut" switch to be engaged to be pleasing (prior, it was too sharp sounding). The les paul sounds fantastic as well, and engaging the cut switch doesn't muddy it up, while before I wouldn't have used the "cut" switch with the Paul. So I guess the "cut" switch is in some sense more versatile now. Breakup comes at about the same point as before. Engaging the "boost" switch just continues pushing the amp and highlighting the improved sound in a similar fashion as the Eminence. I think that overall the sound is more versatile now. Clean sounds are now a little bit more sparkly and blackface sounding as opposed to the more tweed sound I thought it had before. Overdrive is still IMHO tweed sounding, which is what I prefer.

For fun, I tried a few pedals. Running a Java-Boost into (my brand new) Eternity with the les paul, wow it was Black Sabbath Paranoid nailed (or at least the best simulation I have ever obtained).

I still need to spend more time with this setup, and this is a very cursory overview based on very initial impressions. I'll leave it to say that the modification seems to be a very nice upgrade, providing more versatility from the amp. The amp still sounds like a Carr Mercury (which I'm very happy about), but just more sparkle, clarity, smoother high end, bigger sound, more presence, and less midrange focus. Great upgrade! :JAM

Steve

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I think Scumbacks are the best new speaker you can get.

3. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Actually, those speakers have made my life all the harder. Now, I just don't have enough of them...:Spank
    I put some in my JCM800 Lead Series cab. I took the stock pickups out and put them in another cab for the kid, but I can see/hear right off that the stockers just need to go to the circular file.:Devil
    The Scumbacks do just as the thread-starter says. I agree with that description.

4. fast ricky love

Where is Jim? I'm trying to order another speaker...????

5. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

He just got married, and is on a horneymoon/cruise ship. :Devil

6. JoeP

JoeP Member

Give the 75 about 20 hours of playing time, and all of a sudden they get really, really sweet... Think they sound good now? Wait till you get em' broken in!!!!

7. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Member

Hey there WCR, the newly wed scumbag turned me on to your great single coils! I love my SR's and Broadcaster 1's. Jim's speakers rock too!

8. straticus

straticus Member

I'm going to order one, maybe two Scumbacks as soon as Jim gets back in town. The hard part is deciding which ones to order!:confused:

9. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I called Jim, discussed my wishes for tone and what I wasn't satisfied with in my setup, and he suggested the current speaker I have (SA-12H-75). Give him a call, and he's more than happy to consult on a decision (and very pleasant as well). :AOK

10. fast ricky love

Ah, the 'ol 'Hornymoon' explains it... :) I'm chomping for another speaker!

11. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I went with the SA-12H-75 in both my 1x12 combo and my tone tools fat cat 1x12 cab and they sound amazing. As good as my buddy's pre rola celestions.

Mike

12. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks, will do.

I think the SA-12H-75 will definitely be one of the speakers I'll order. I'm running a 2x12 cab and I'm not sure if I should mix a SA-12H-55 with an SA-12H-75 or a SA-12M-55 or SA-12M-75 with an SA-12H-75 or what??? or maybe just go with 2 SA-12H-75's. But yeah, you're right, I'll talk with Jim first.

13. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have the M-75/H-75 mix in my marshall 412 cab. Outstanding tone with my '82 JCM800 50 watt. I have an H-75/Celestion G12-65 mix in my Avatar 212. That sounds real good also. As soon as Jim gets back, I'm getting another H-75 for the 212. I didn't think the M-75/H-75 mix faired as well in the smaller cab as it does in the larger cab. I know others disagree.

Scumbacks are outstanding speakers. I've replaced all my new production Celestions with Scumbacks.

14. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Steve -

Which Eminence speaker was in your Mercury? I just picked up a used Mercury that has the stock Kingpin 60 speaker in it.

15. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Hey Dave,

The Mercury was about 1 month old (bought it new) and it had the Kingpin 60, which is a Carr branded Eminence. Like I said, I didn't dislike the speaker, not at all. I just was looking for something that, to my ears, had a broader range and larger sound. Actually, after I ordered the Scumback and waited a few weeks I started to wonder if I made a silly decision to order it (sound was growing on me). I think the Mercury is an awesome amp right off the bat, and it completely met my goals for what I'm doing with it. I just remember the day I got it, I felt the sound was too focused (small) and was heavy in midrange. A lot of people seem to be hard on this little tone machine for some reason that I really really don't understand. To me, spending $150 on this speaker was a good move, but I could have been completely happy with it stock. I'm a bit compulsive! That being said, I like it better now...

Steve

16. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

So you want to talk mixing, I just order SAG12H75 just before Jim left & when it arrives it will go in a Victoria Low Powered Tweed Twin with an original cone 1962 P12N. I have no idea whether I'll get the ultimate "best of both worlds" tone or something very strange, any thoughts ...

Randall

17. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Thanks Steve. I didn't realize the Kingpin was an Eminence speaker.